• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durability of exotic skins?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember when rhea was just showing up on the market. It was dry. If I remember correctly, rhea comes from South America. So they have an entirely different tradition and process for preparing and tanning the hides.

Klein Karoo ostrich has been, for decades, the premium ostrich in the world. For a number of reasons--the unique tanning methods, for sure, but the water and soil factor in as well. When the US slapped the trade embargo on SA some years ago many of the South African ranchers moved their operations across the border into Zimbabwe. Even though the leather was coming from the same consortium, it was markedly inferior.

Now the US has gotten into the act and the domestic ostrich that I have seen tends to be more like calf than iconic ostrich. It is stiff, dry and characterless. It would take close inspection to tell the difference between domestically (US) produced ostrich and low grade cow prints.

I haven't seen any rhea in years but admonitions to keep a leather conditioned (moisturized) are never out of place.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Ostrich need any special conditioner like reptile does?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Frankly, I don't think that reptile needs a special conditioner.

That said, all leathers need a conditioner that is free of petrochemical based oil and/or oils that are prone to going rancid. And one that does not leave a sticky residue on the surface .

I use Lexol...mostly because I have used it for many years. But I also like Bick4 and several other products depending on the persistent oil content of the leather. In other words, some leathers are already oil stuffed and not meant to be spit-shined or to be a "dress" leather. Others are quite the opposite and don't want a conditioner that is formulated with heavy oils.

Xenon

Reaction score
What about stingray? I know DWFII mentionned that the substrate was particularly porous and prone to pick up dirt/water but if kept clean and properly moisturized will the tiny bumps remain a long time or will the twisting and bending of it when used as shoe upper eventually lead to failure and falling off over time? I ask this because i read somewhere that stingray was not advised for shoe making

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's hard to say. I have never made a full boot or shoe out of stingray.

I started to make a pair some years ago and was so confounded with the problem of dealing with the 'ivory" beads gracefully, that I abandoned the project. I could not get the sewing machine needle to track evenly--the needle was always deflecting or breaking--enough to satisfy me.

I experimented with creating a "collar" and stripping the beads off under the collar. That worked but it it was no easy task and almost as uncontrollable as sewing directing into the beads.

Both as a point of pride and of personal criticism, I have never been one to accept erratic or sloppy work. I might have been better off stitching the shoe together by hand but even then I suspect that I would cringe from the results.

As a consequence, I don't have any boots that have come back to me after a number of years to draw from.

All that said, the fiber mat (what would be the flesh side of the skin on any other leather) is very loose on stingray and, in fact, is more of a mesh than a mat (or at least it was when I first started fooling with stingray). I suspect that the beads might have a tendency to pop off after a while or at least lose colour simply because where ever the shoe flexes, the beads will be rubbing up against each other

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frankly, I don't think that reptile needs a special conditioner.

That said, all leathers need a conditioner that is free of petrochemical based oil and/or oils that are prone to going rancid. And one that does not leave a sticky residue on the surface .

I use Lexol...mostly because I have used it for many years. But I also like Bick4 and several other products depending on the persistent oil content of the leather. In other words, some leathers are already oil stuffed and not meant to be spit-shined or to be a "dress" leather. Others are quite the opposite and don't want a conditioner that is formulated with heavy oils.

Interesting. Some of the gator products I have say to only use reptile conditioner. Just to be safe I use the Saphir reptile product on them.

What happened with the guy that had the bespoke stingray shoes made. I never saw the final result.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting. Some of the gator products I have say to only use reptile conditioner. Just to be safe I use the Saphir reptile product on them.

Well, you could ruin a pair of alligator shoes, for instance, if you used something like neatsfoot oil (which is a perfectly good product for some, never-to-be-shined leathers) on them.

Since most customers don't have the...what? perspicacity...to research products or the experience to know one product from the other, it is not really all that astonishing that manufacturers recommend something they know will not do damage.

Saphir reptile is probably a safe choice.

Last edited:

HLow

Reaction score
Hi DWFII,

Here's a quick question for you with regards to ostrich skin. I have just begun trying my hands on working with ostrich skin and the fibrous/papery flesh side is giving me lots of problems when i try to skive it down by hand. Are there any suggestions on working with it?

As for the shagreen articles, i must say that the hard beads are rather indestructible as i have a card case made and it still holds up very well for the 4 years i've had it (until it got stolen....). And Patek, i assume that you are referring to the pair of black stingray shoes made by Riccardo? The finished shoe is on his thread on page 4, i suppose you can drop the OP a pm so see how his shoes are holding up :)

It's hard to say. I have never made a full boot or shoe out of stingray.
I started to make a pair some years ago and was so confounded with the problem of dealing with the 'ivory" beads gracefully, that I abandoned the project. I could not get the sewing machine needle to track evenly--the needle was always deflecting or breaking--enough to satisfy me.
I experimented with creating a "collar" and stripping the beads off under the collar. That worked but it it was no easy task and almost as uncontrollable as sewing directing into the beads.
Both as a point of pride and of personal criticism, I have never been one to accept erratic or sloppy work. I might have been better off stitching the shoe together by hand but even then I suspect that I would cringe from the results.
As a consequence, I don't have any boots that have come back to me after a number of years to draw from.
All that said, the fiber mat (what would be the flesh side of the skin on any other leather) is very loose on stingray and, in fact, is more of a mesh than a mat (or at least it was when I first started fooling with stingray). I suspect that the beads might have a tendency to pop off after a while or at least lose colour simply because where ever the shoe flexes, the beads will be rubbing up against each other

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi DWFII,

Here's a quick question for you with regards to ostrich skin. I have just begun trying my hands on working with ostrich skin and the fibrous/papery flesh side is giving me lots of problems when i try to skive it down by hand. Are there any suggestions on working with it? 

Caution, care, and a very sharp knife. No way around it...it's the nature of the beast. Sometimes I just pull the loose stuff off with my fingers

HLow

Reaction score
Thanks and i will do just that, i'll just put more hours into practicing on scraps first :)

Caution, care, and a very sharp knife. No way around it...it's the nature of the beast. Sometimes I just pull the loose stuff off with my fingers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads