• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumbest Olympic Event?

justsofresh

Reaction score
synchronized diving is a cool sport to watch. it takes a lot to do those dives and even with the mimic movements of a partner. it isn't football but takes skill like any other sport.
justsofresh.gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of events that could be included yet aren't.

As for dumb events

It isnt an event, but if gymnastic teams have to qualify as a team to get to the olympics why have a team qualifier during the olympic games also?

I think the one with guns and skis while impressive is kind of not really a sport just war practice for very mountainous countries.

+1 on rythmic gymnastics

I actually enjoy curling though, its one of those sports like golf where if you've never played it helps to watch with someone who understands the game.

Is bowling an event?

I think drunk bowling should be an event.

robbie

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know this until I saw a stand-up comedian making fun of this recently... there is a solo synchronized swimming event. WTF are you synchronized with if you're in the pool by yourself?

Also, Jerry Seinfeld lampooned the biathalon pretty nicely:

"Some of the events in the Olympics don't make sense to me.
I don't understand the connection to any reality...
Like in the Winter Olympics they have that biathlon.
That combines cross-country skiing with shooting a gun.
How many alpine snipers are into this?
Ski, shoot a gun... ski, bang, bang, bang...
It's like combining swimming and strangle a guy.
Why don't we have that?
That makes absolutely as much sense to me.
Just put people in the pool at the end of each lane for the swimmers..."

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Walking. For those who couldn't cut it in real track and field.
Sychronized diving certainly isn't the worst. BMX looks lame. I've never watched the trampoline but that sounds incredibly dumb. I'm not too into the professional team sports being in the Olympics either. I think it is ridiculous that NBA players are in the Olympics. I'm so glad the Dream Team beat Chad! Rhythmic Gymastics is pretty lame. Synchronized Swimming is ******* AWESOME though and looks hard as hell. Taekwondo is pretty lame, there is about one kick every 5 minutes. Sailing seems like it was only added so the people who sponsor these events have something for their kids to compete in though it's been around a while. My favorite summer events are track and field, diving, and synchronized swimming because it intrigues me and I haven't seen much of it. The modern pentathlon seems incredibly random. Look at these events: * Ã
00a9.png
00a9.png
e fencing * pistol shooting * 200 metre freestyle swimming * show jumping on horseback * 3 km cross country running But after reading the history, it is pretty cool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_...ummer_Olympics
Modern pentathlon is a sports contest created especially for the Summer Olympic Games by the founder of the modern Games, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and was first contested in 1912. Coubertin was inspired by the pentathlon event in Ancient Olympic Games, which was modeled after the skills of the ideal soldier at the time. The modern pentathlon simulates the experience of a 19th century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight with pistol and sword, swim, and run.

Seanallen

Reaction score
I would say table tennis, but after a few youtube videos, I have to say, its intense.
tounge.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it isn't in there yet, I've read that ballroom dancing, or Dancesport, is being lobbied.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarity
huh?

Mountain Biking? Are you serious? hah

It may not be interesting to watch because 90% of the racing and competition takes place on a secluded trail. But don't you dare lump it with something silly as synchronized diving. The mountain biking has been around for a long time, not just "the last few Olympics".

It's been said already, but mountain biking only became an olympic event in 1996, so this is only the fourth Olympics it's been in (in fact, I haven't checked, but they might have alternated it with something else, too).

Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Football (Soccer). As I understand it this is an amateur sport at the olympics. I really cannot understand this, because if you're good then you become a professional. So it's just a contest between the world's 150th best football teams. If it were a professional sport then that would be pointless too, because there is already the world cup and during the summer olympic year the Euro cup. Plus the African cup the previous year (I think).

Equestrian. I think most people understand why this is weird.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that soccer is an "amateur" sport at the Olympics. The teams are primarily composed of younger players, but that does not mean that they are not professionals. Most of the national teams in the Olympics will have some pretty damn good players, even if the Ronaldos and the Thierry Henrys cannot compete.

Equestrian events have been around either since the commencement of the modern Olympics in 1896, or at least since very early in the piece. It's not like it's a recent, faddish introduction to the Olympics.

For my money, whilst I like cycling, having BMX as an Olympic event is just silly. What's next, skateboarding?

Harry Lean

Reaction score
The marathon is a dumb arse event. Bores the living **** out of me, and that is coming from someone who IS boring.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most of you guys are listing sports you just may not like. Sports like Badminton are certainly worthy of the Olympics.

Journeyman, I think what Jammie means by using amateur is a bit un-informed (in soccer there is something like under a certain age you can be pro). Being an amateur in your sport means you can not collect a salary for your play. I believe you can still collect prize and sponsorship money. These days, each sports governing body decides who can compete in the games.

As for the beach volleyball and regular volleyball discussion: I do not get this at all. These are very different sports. The only thing the same is the look of the ball and net. This would be like asking why there is field hockey and ice hockey (I preface with ice for you Americans). The difference is certainly more vast than any type of swim stroke let alone distance.

Now for the actually dumb sports (well events actually):

-Anything with an air gun
-Rhythmic gymnastics
-Synchronized anything (don't give me the it takes skill, I know it does, so does being a good barista)
-Road Race Cycling just does not showcase the sport's best in the Olympics. For the sport to be a good Olympic sport, an Olympic medal should be the highlight of the athlete's career. This is certainly not the case in road race.
-Walking? Come on.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that soccer is an "amateur" sport at the Olympics. The teams are primarily composed of younger players, but that does not mean that they are not professionals. Most of the national teams in the Olympics will have some pretty damn good players, even if the Ronaldos and the Thierry Henrys cannot compete.

Equestrian events have been around either since the commencement of the modern Olympics in 1896, or at least since very early in the piece. It's not like it's a recent, faddish introduction to the Olympics.

For my money, whilst I like cycling, having BMX as an Olympic event is just silly. What's next, skateboarding?

Regarding football, you're right. I thought it was an amateur sport, turns out it's mostly an under-23s tournament. Which I still think is silly, because it doesn't hold much importance in the football calendar. And it's not a different discipline like you might consider amateur versus professional boxing to be.

Equestrian events annoy me because whilst I know it's hard work riding a horse, I very much believe the Olympics should be about humans competing.

I'm not keen on BMX either. I think Snowboarding and especially boarder cross were important for the Winter Olympics (ideally each race would have six riders, though); BMX is unnecessary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads