• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving moccasins vs. boat shoes

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celticgent
IMHO boat shoes are more versatile.

The few pairs of driving mocs I've owned have had those 'nubs' on the sole instead of a rubber sole. This is fine in the car or on dry pavement, but if you have to walk in grass it can be wet and get the leather sole wet. Also I've found the sperrys have a bit more support and thus are more comfortable if you get caught walking a bit.

I would disagree with this. Boat shoes look good in shorts only.

Driving shoes are definitely more versatile. Don't look at the Tods / Car shoe offering though as their shoes are meant to be for car use, hence the non-practical sole.

Prada makes the best looking drivers IMHO. I have two from them and will continue to go with them until the other houses update their oldish designs.

Hope this helps, I know a good pair is hard to find.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy

Driving shoes are definitely more versatile. Don't look at the Tods / Car shoe offering though as their shoes are meant to be for car use, hence the non-practical sole.

lurker[1].gif

cheyrou

Reaction score
I've owned sperry's my whole life, and they're really good shoes. I find driving mocassins a little cooler and sophisticated. If I knew what to look for in them I would go after driving mocs

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I understand the sentiment, but the Topsider has been casual fashion for decades now. Can't put that toothpaste back in the tube. I just bought a new pair m'self at the end of last summer. I vote Topsider.
TopSider gets my vote too for affordability. I have 2 or 3 pair of TopSiders but reserve them strictly for nautical needs. Ofcourse it's true that deck/boat shoes are accepted casual fashion but those soles were never meant for pavement pounding as you know. Allen Edmonds makes a fantastic deck shoe that is light years more comfortable than Sperry. If you are using for streetwear, give the AE's a try. Buttery-soft leather heaven. A question to all. When actual boating, what do you all prefer in a boat/deck shoe? Laced? or Slip-on? Canvas? Or Leather?

willgro

Reaction score
Don't go any further than A. Testoni. You'll see why, definitely give them a try. The best, in my opinion. I just made the change too.

Sprezzateur

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one or the other of these as well. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting one of these, though:

CanoeMoc2.jpg

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
TopSider gets my vote too for affordability.
I have 2 or 3 pair of TopSiders but reserve them strictly for nautical needs.
Ofcourse it's true that deck/boat shoes are accepted casual fashion but those soles were never meant for pavement pounding as you know.
Allen Edmonds makes a fantastic deck shoe that is light years more comfortable than Sperry.
If you are using for streetwear, give the AE's a try. Buttery-soft leather heaven.

A question to all.
When actual boating, what do you all prefer in a boat/deck shoe?
Laced? or Slip-on? Canvas? Or Leather?

Once, after boating, I quickly changed into my "walking across the parking lot" shoes because I believe shoes have a very specific purpose, and I was going to get something to eat. To my embarrassment, I had forgotten to bring my "sitting in a chair" shoes and was forced to eat wandering around.

Since that time I have grown sufficiently in intellegence to realize shoes can play multiple roles.
I have both, but find the boat shoes reached for more in non-boating, non-driving situations.

in fits of print

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
I would disagree with this. Boat shoes look good in shorts only.

Only true with a break! If you're willing to show some ankle, you can wear boat shoes with pants.

Personally I find most things labeled "driving shoes" to be on the ugly side (techy/nubby soles that climb up your heels), but some of them just look like loafers. In which case you might as well get loafers instead.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
http://www.finsforhim.com/

product-17-0-0.jpg

Yeah, Fins aren't a bad shout - and in practically every colour under the sun. A deep, bad part of me wants the red pair.

Originally Posted by Sprezzateur
I'm in the market for one or the other of these as well. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting one of these, though:

CanoeMoc2.jpg

There are much more elegant alternatives (and even in this context, that's no oxymoron) suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads