• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirts

bluefalcon

Reaction score
So, this is probably over analysis on my part, i.e has an easy or obvious solution,but I have been looking to buy more dress shirts.

Either from Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt, T.M. Lewin, or Harvey Hudson. I am looking to spend around $200 for 3 shirts, about $67 per shirt. I take a 36 1/5 35.

In my ideal world I would love to get a slim fit, single cuff, spread or British spread/cutaway, 100% cotton, Plain Blue or light Blue, White, Blue White Striped, an end on end, maybe a grid pattern as well.

That being said I am absolutely willing to change a bit, but to get some of these pricing deals I need to buy all from the same place. It seems color or size becomes a significant issue. Cuff is near impossible, so I am looking at both double and single cuff. I am building the foundations of my wardrobe now, so I would like to try to stick with the colors or close to them, size is important it needs to fit. I am wondering maybe there is alternative shop to look, considering these do not seem to have exactly what I am looking for? Maybe I need to get it made, even if it is done in china etc.

What would you recommend? Shirt or color substitutions? Different places to buy? MTM or bespoke? Also, I am in Boston if that impacts decisions, options, or suggestions.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long term, you will be better off sacrificing a deal today to try more makers and thus find the maker whose shirts you like best.

You should also plan to take some time. Get a shirt from one or two, find the deficiencies and then tweak subsequent orders to get the fit you want. Then invest.

bluefalcon

Reaction score
countdemoney, that is a great point. I need to slow down and get quality clothing. I need to rethink these shirtmakers. While none of them are particularly bad, I can't try them on, and they don't have what I am looking for, which admittedly might not be what I like, so I need to continue to look around. One problem I am faced with is that at work, I have to wear dress shirts, and I only have 4 brooks brothers shirts. So while I can and have gotten away with 4 shirts, the necessity to increase that number is at my door step.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been in the market (MTM, OTR, Online MTM, Online stores, etc) for reasonably priced dress shirts but have yet to find one.

My perfect dress shirts would have the following attributes:

- Non-iron pinpoint 100% cotton fabric
- Italian collar
- Dimention (using OTR general fit guideline):
*size 16 slim fit body
*size 17 neck

I suppose MTM would be the best route but I am impatient; the lead time is killing me :D

If any one have a good lead on where I can buy shirts that fit the first two criteria, it would be much appreciated.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with countdamoney, you should take some time to find what brand fits you best. You may find that one shop fits you great, or you may find that all leave something to be desired. Through the process you'll at least add a few more shirts to your rotation, buying you time to seek others. If you don't fall in love with a brand, maybe try the MTM route. There are a bunch out there that can do a decent job for not a lot of money. Online MTM will take 3-8 weeks. Since you have an immediate need I'd buy one or two shirts each from the places you mention now. Everyone has decent return policies these days so even though you may sacrifice a few $ for shipping you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly what works and what doesn't.

As far as colors go you'll be fine in all office environments sticking close to the basics. There are plenty of other options to jump into as your tastes develop - gingham, pink, bolder stripes, etc.

FWIW, for about 6 years out of college I jumped on the Brooks Brothers 3-shirt deals plus CT and Lewin. I generally liked them but always had a dislike with some detail. For the past 2-3 years I've switched to a couple of online MTM sites and have been phasing out the OTR shirts, and don't plan on looking back. I personally believe that even if the fabric isn't from some 100 year old mill in Italy or doesn't say something like Thomas Pink on the label, I feel more confident because it fits properly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member