• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts... wearing casually and formally, what are best for both?

Jay687

Reaction score
I don't have lots of money to spend on dress shirts, especially if I'm going to be attempting to get them tailored to fit well.

I'd just like to know what you guys find to be a versatile type of shirt. I guess this would mainly be the fabric, weave, thickness, etc...

I realize it'd probably be best to wear things formally and certain things casually. Same with even shirts seasonally (like dark/light colors, thin/thick fabric), but was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the most versatile thing would be.

I'm planning on just trying to get a bunch of solid color shirts that I can wear summer or winter (I dislike super thin shirts, so even for summer, a bit thicker fabric feels better), as well as casually and formally.

Anyone have some advice?

I mean, I'm a college student, so don't have a lot of cash to spend on say 5 shirts for 5 shirts to wear on formal stuff and another 5 to wear causally. Especially since say I get all solid colors, what is really the huge difference in having 2 white shirts? As long as they are the right length to wear both tucked and untucked, and the right fabric/material... I feel like it'd be a good choice.

Obviously they'd need to have some decent quality as well since I'd be wearing them more often.

Anyway, sorry for this lengthy post, but just wanted some help on this.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue as you.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxford Cloth would be a good start. I would honestly recommend the Ralph Lauren oxford shirts without the pocket as they are great to collect. You can usually rest assured that they'll fit the same and they come in tons of colors.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for several quality shirts on sale in white. White looks good year round and you can wear them with the sleeves rolled up with jeans for a casual look or with a tie, jacket and slacks for formal. The suggestion to try a Ralph Lauren oxford is a good one, but you might also want a shirt with a spread collar as well, not just button down (most oxfords are BD). Then, you might want to experiment with a few colors that appeal to you. But if you have several shirts that are white you are always going to look sharp.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I recommend the same thing. You can't go wrong with oxford cloth. It's a light enough weave that it's not too hot in the summer. It's not that formal but you could definately get away with wearing an oxford cloth shirt with a suit but I personally would only wear one with no tie.

I think a white oxford, sleeves rolled up with jeans looks pretty good. Tucked in of course.

Jay687

Reaction score
I assume I can find Oxford shirts that aren't buttondown? Just so I can wear them formally.

Now, where I plan to work in the future (as well as internship this summer), dress will be business casual. I'm a fan of not being TOO casual and hate short sleeved dress shirts--rather roll up a long sleeve. Anyway, I assume oxford works there? Then, for the few things I attend that I must wear a suit, oxford will again work fairly well? I'll maybe buy like a couple shirts that are can be formal-only and just get them in colors that work well with everything else.

Looks like Oxford is the way to go then.

Now, you've all said to go with Ralph Lauren. Any other companies? I would rather not spend way over 100 bucks for a shirt really unless it's a must, and some of RL shirts are way over that, though some are under that.

Feel free to give me answers about Ralph Lauren's fit/quality/etc (but will search about that now), but would actually rather just a few more companies to look out for.

I think Oxford will be the way to go then. Just need to find them without the button down and that fit well in the chest/neck/shoulder area... I can always tailor the lengths.

Jay687

Reaction score
Curious, if you can';t find Oxford with spread collar (and button down isn't exactly formal), what would the best spread collar shirt be for formal and casual?

I'd like it to be Oxford obviously, but any other good weave that I can find?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687

I'd like it to be Oxford obviously, but any other good weave that I can find?

I too love a heavier fabric on my shirts. In addition to oxford, I have found twills to work very well. One of my favorites is the twill Truzzi shirts I get on sale for about $100+. They are almost always a spread collar when made from twill fabric. Other companies use twill as well and it looks equally goos in a variety of colors although I usually buy them in white.

Jay687

Reaction score
Alright, twill, thanks for that information. I could be wrong on that, but then is herringbone also twill? Since pretty sure the site someone gave me to read up on these weaves that twill, herringbone and a few others were all really under the same classification.

And I'm with you on heavier fabrics. Especially for casually or business casual. The only time I like thinner fabric is for a really formal look, but even then, don't mind thicker shirts. That's why I wouldn't mind a few more useful colors in thinner fabrics for when I need them.

Thanks for help and any other help is appreciated.

Jay687

Reaction score
Hmm... have also heard Royal Oxford is good too.

What is that and where can I find it?

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on ralph lauren oxford shirts. i just bought a couple on sale and for someone skinny and tall like me, the custom fit ones fit really well. im not sure on your size but there is still a lot of stuff on sale so you should check it out.

check both sport and dress shirts and there is a code floating around the forum for free shipping.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/in...=1766321&SMR=1

Janshi

Reaction score
I'm completely in the same boat as you, mate. College, limited budget, and need to get work-worthy clothing (that looks none too shabby) seriously has to be one of the most difficult things to work out.
I, too, share the hate for short-sleeved dress shirts. Seriously, it just looks like you're a desk jockey in California - and seeing as I live there for the holidays I for one can assure you it looks absolutely terrible.
I'd say depending on your body shape you might want to try Banana Republic as well. Personally I find most of their shirts, even their Slim-Fits, far too big - but they *do* have an Oxford shirt (I think labelled on their site as Royal Oxford) that is both reasonably sized (none too shabby on me) and not button down, which is always a plus. And their stuff is reasonably priced.

I'm going to South coast Plaza tomorrow to do some shopping for dress shirts. It'll most likely be in vain as all the small sizes are almost always gone (and it doesnt help that L and XL are just simply prevalent in America) or they don't fit me, but I'll post what I find here.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I may as well ask it here:

Anyone know a place that has size small band of outsiders shirts on sale? I tried one on at barneys that fit like money. $285 was a bit rough though. Must have been the sea island cotton one or something as i didn't think they were that expensive.

you might want to try 4510... also barneys still has some at 60% off I think on their website and they certainly do in the coop stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads