Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress Shirt Sleeve Length?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hobo, Mar 22, 2006.

1. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I am wondering what is the correct length for dress shirt sleeves.

Where should they fall on my arm/wrist/hand when my arms are relaxed at my sides?
    How high should they come up my arms when my arms are bent and I am doing something?
    Should french cuffs fall at a different length than barrel cuffs?
    Should more casual button-downs be a different length than more formal button-downs?

Thanks!

2. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Standard for men 5'10"-6'1" is 4.25" up from the tip of your thumb for shirts and 1/2" more for suits. Go a bit more or less if you are of different height.

They shouldn't.
    No.
    You might want to - slightly shorter - if you plan to wear them without a jacket. Otherwise, no.

3. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Standard for men 5'10"-6'1" is 4.25" up from the tip of your thumb for shirts and 1/2" more for suits. Go a bit more or less if you are of different height.
    What if different people have different size hands or different length fingers? Where should the end of the sleeve hit? at the inside joint where your hand connects to your arm? lower? higher? how much?

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

What if different people have different size hands or different length fingers? Where should the end of the sleeve hit? at the inside joint where your hand connects to your arm? lower? higher? how much?
    I'm sure there is a "rule", but it's really down to personal preference. The farther down onto your hand a loose cuff falls, the dirtier it will get over the course of the day. I prefer my sleeves to fall just to the main joint of my hand, right where the thumb starts angling off.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

Alex,

Any pics?

6. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Alex pretty much hit the nail on the head, though my casuals have about the same sleeve lengths as my dress ones.

7. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

Alexander Kabbaz definitely has hit the nail on the head on the requirements of sleeve lengths. I always have 1/2" showing with suit jackets.