• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress in Academia

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of practitioners teaching. But theory is damned important, too, and practitioners have a very narrow scope of experience. Plus, they can't research.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plus, they can't research.

Do you mean due to time commitments outside of any teaching they'd do? In some areas of law / business, I find the research from practitioners more insightful than the pure academic stuff at times.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect the distinction is that academia requires published peer-reviewed research. At least that would be my distinction.

Cheers,

Ac

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. I think most practitioners (at least in marketing) don't have PhD's and would therefore struggle to produce peer reviewed research. Which influences how and what professors teach. Which influences how practitioners practice.

That being said, I'm a big proponent of pop academia (accessibility and applicability, as it weeds out most of what is only of interest to scholars). But even then, the best is generally written by academics who, against all odds, actually write well or very intelligent journalists (e.g. Gladwell). Not so much practitioners.

Last edited:

WhereNext

Reaction score
Yeah. I think most practitioners (at least in marketing) don't have PhD's and would therefore struggle to produce peer reviewed research. Which influences how and what professors teach. Which influences how practitioners practice.

That being said, I'm a big proponent of pop academia (accessibility and applicability, as it weeds out most of what is only of interest to scholars). But even then, the best is generally written by academics who, against all odds, actually write well or very intelligent journalists (e.g. Gladwell). Not so much practitioners.

The problem, of course, is when they get multiple, significant facts wrong in creating a very interesting story (Gladwell has become the whipping boy for this, though there are others), which are then read by a FAR greater percentage of the population than any academic piece could hope to reach. To be fair, I've known a good number of academics who didn't let silly things like facts and sound logic get in the way of telling a (turgid, boring, and largely indecipherable) story, as well.

WhereNext

Reaction score
So I hosted a small conference for our MBA students, entrepreneurs, and consultancies the other day. My "thank you" gift was the beer glass every presenter/panelist got, plus a pocket square! My students know me well. It's not totally my style (white silk with black and blue top hats and bowler hats on it), but it will definitely get a few wears around the School. I even managed to have a "what's this loop behind my lapel buttonhole" conversation with a few of them. Baby steps...

the honor roll

Reaction score
My kinda thread! It's 3am, so I'm laying this out pretty dry.

Teaching background:
  • Teacher's assistant / special needs assistant at a charter high school in California for two years
  • HS teacher at said school for three years
  • International HS teacher for three years
  • Currently HS and MS teacher for a private school

Progression of Teaching Attire
  • Teacher's assistant
    • Straight out of undergrad, my first career job and as it was a very relaxed environment, I brought my flannel shirts and beat-to-**** Vans with me.
  • HS Teacher:
    • Made a point to throw on a tie three times per week, but it was still mostly twenty something sitcom flair.
    • I couldn't dress up too often, since it was a Project-Based Learning school = a lot of mess, a lot of movement
  • International Teacher:
    • Kind of timed with my growing affinity for suits, so I wore a jacket and tie at least three times per week
  • Private School:
    • Since students are required in traditional uniform, and because I'm new and the youngest teacher on staff, I've made a point to wear a form of a suit every day.

Reasons for the way I Dress:
  • I asked a teacher why he wore a suit every day to teach his tenth graders. He always said "Because I'm seeing someone important." It took me longer than I'd care to admit to understand what he meant. That's the simplest reason.
  • Students in uniforms, so it's only fair that I show up in one, too.
  • Covers the tattoos.
  • I have always looked young for my age; I've been asked by parents where the teacher for my class is on multiple instances. It was also often a detriment to earning respect. I can't grow any facial hair, so I had to age myself somehow.

Right now I'm the only staff member wearing a suit, but it's become my teaching uniform; I don't feel comfortable without it.

I skimmed the thread, but couldn't find any other high school or middle school teachers out there. Here's to hoping I'm not the only one.

WhereNext

Reaction score

Teaching background:
  • Teacher's assistant / special needs assistant at a charter high school in California for two years

• Teacher's assistant
    • Straight out of undergrad, my first career job and as it was a very relaxed environment, I brought my flannel shirts and beat-to-**** Vans with me.
  • HS Teacher:
    • Made a point to throw on a tie three times per week, but it was still mostly twenty something sitcom flair.
    • I couldn't dress up too often, since it was a Project-Based Learning school = a lot of mess, a lot of movement
  • International Teacher:
    • Kind of timed with my growing affinity for suits, so I wore a jacket and tie at least three times per week
  • Private School:
    • Since students are required in traditional uniform, and because I'm new and the youngest teacher on staff, I've made a point to wear a form of a suit every day.

• I asked a teacher why he wore a suit every day to teach his tenth graders. He always said "Because I'm seeing someone important." It took me longer than I'd care to admit to understand what he meant. That's the simplest reason.
  • Covers the tattoos.
  • I have always looked young for my age; I've been asked by parents where the teacher for my class is on multiple instances. It was also often a detriment to earning respect. I can't grow any facial hair, so I had to age myself somehow.

Right now I'm the only staff member wearing a suit, but it's become my teaching uniform; I don't feel comfortable without it.

I skimmed the thread, but couldn't find any other high school or middle school teachers out there. Here's to hoping I'm not the only one.

I'm a recovering primary/elementary and high school teacher, if that makes you feel better?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@CBrown85 and @NewYorkIslander are

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Teaching background:

• Teacher's assistant
  • HS Teacher:
  • International Teacher:
  • Private School:

• Covers the tattoos.

I'm a high school math teacher. Today was the first day of classes.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I jumped on the summer-weight VBC deal from Luxire a few months ago. The school is a giant oven.

I've noticed a few staff members dressing better this year; a few more ties than usual, but that could be the honeymoon-first-week-of-school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads