• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resource icon

SOLD! Drake's Jeans 33 , Blackhorse, light and dark denim

Sartyroialist

Reaction score
I'm glad you double checked!

I don't mind about the price, we're square with either size, but I do about your fit. They're yours if you like them, easy to swap out. But if you think you're a good fit in the jeans, then I think the 32s may be too small. I think this, because they were too small for me, both in the waist, and the legs. Unless you're in for slim-fit cords.

Comparatively, I'm a terrific fit with Drake's jeans in 32, and these same cords in 33.

I'll hold off mailing them out till' you've decided.

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info! Based on that info, let's stick to the original plan we agreed on. I think you're right about the cords, and I would like to avoid a pair being too slim if possible. I appreciate you taking the time to share your insight!

-Will

Sartyroialist

Reaction score
Good Morning Will,

Gladly. My post office opens at 9:30, and I'll aim to drop these off when they open.

Drake's is a great brand in many ways (see commentary on the Unofficial Drake's London Appreciation Thread, here on SF). They seem to work with other manufacturers (e.g. Jamieson's sweaters, Astroflex for suede shoes, etc.) to add arguably good value by design and material choices, to have these makers produce them as Drake's brand. Consequently, it seems sizing can sometimes vary between lines, like the jeans vs chinos, etc. And because of the high retail price, there's lots of chatter here on SF for comparative measurements to judge fits.

I've found Drake's retail prices are directly comparable (or more expensive) to having the same pieces made bespoke or MTB (both of which I do occasionally w super folks in NYC). So, I look for Drake's things 2nd hand, and judiciously give real money to small businesses. If you haven't done this yet, and you very well may have, is to say main points for bespoke & MTB is the initially high price point, and developing good relationships. MTM/Bespoke is really an incomparably better option than OTR for the price, and developing a relationship with the makers is what helps them share perspectives and options on cloth and fit, to make a great garment that lasts 5-10+ years. I think this investment in $ and time is an initial barrier to most.

In any case, I'll let you know when I have your package out.

Reaction score
Hi Rodger! Just wanted to let you know that everything arrived yesterday. Everything fits very well, and looks fantastic! I will probably have the Indigo pair of hemmed (which I knew would be the case), but the other two pairs are perfect.

I agree with your sentiments in the post above about Drake's - I am a big fan of their color palettes, styling and quality. However, there is almost no scenario where I can justify paying full price for their items, and so I've begun gathering a collection of things second-hand on eBay, and now, here. I agree that made-to-measure/bespoke is appealing but as I'm fairly early in my going on 3 year quest now to convert my wardrobe from mostly J. Crew & thrift store finds to a more intentional, minimal collection of clothing, Drake's seems to fill that need well at the moment. Suits are the final frontier for me, though, and I think that there will come a time where I will have to venture into the custom made suit world.

In any case, I'm thrilled with these items, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this! Have a great week.

Sartyroialist

Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear all arrived safely AND I could be a good ambassador for SF, in this small way. Because this place has been such a helpful resource to me, too. So please feel free to check in with me for related queries. I'm glad to help however I can.

For used Drake's things - I've done the same as you're doing, and've built up a fair portion of my everyday/casual wardrobe with them.

Other pithy ideas on these lines:

- Your 3-year quest reminds me of this article that was influential to me:

- Going bespoke & MTM was the best sartorial decision I ever made. My advice to my past-self would be that this is an essentially more valuable use of time and $ for core pieces than trying to figure my fit in 2nd hand things. For 3 reasons: 1) These things will fit from go, last 10+ years, never go out of style, and look damn good on ME, specifically. 2) This was the first way I learned the secret of the interrelated feel, and appearance of an outfit where each piece fits well. To wear a suit that looks subtly astounding, yet feels like pajamas was transformative for me. 3) When I tally up all the time, and $ spent on learning through thrifting, it was powerfully unequal to the value of MTM/Bespoke. E.g., I went MTB via B&Tailor, whose process is much more involved than standard MTM processes.

- The diversity of great OTR menswear makers, and the 2nd hand market is vast. Drake's is a great default to explore this space. I'm often reaching into the UK to have things shipped.

In any case, I wish you luck & enjoyment on your quest!

Rodger

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads