Drakes & Breuer's Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slaavwmr, Jun 16, 2005.

1. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Senior member

This was being discussed in another topic before it went off on wierd tangent.

When I was in Barney's yesterday I noticed ties called Michael Drake. Are these the same as discussed in the other thread as Drakes

Also, what is the thoughts on Breuer's ties? I saw some nice ones in Bergdorf.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Michael Drake is indeed the Drake of "Drake's". But I have never seen ties with that label; the ones I have seen only have his last name. I wonder if the "Michael Drake" line is different somehow -- in terms of quality, price, design, etc.

3. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Re: Breuer, I really like their stuff. The only problem is you either have to go to Paris, or Bergdorf's to find it. Their clothes to me are a more refined Ralph Lauren vis-a-vis South of France or even a younger feeling Paul stuart.

Most of the ties I have seen are two or three color repps. I can't comment on the quality however.

As for the Drake's, Michael Drake is the owner. I am guessing there might be a special collection if his name is on it. The one I have from Barney's reads something like, "Drake's for Barney's New York"

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

wow, I actually know something manton does not.... scary.

"Michael Drake" is the fashion-forward line of Drake. More edgy, patterns like skulls and stuff. I believe construction and price are otherwise identical to the standard and more classic "Drake's" line. Barneys and Ben Silver carry or carried a few "Michael Drake" ties. Contrast and compare.

5. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I see quite a few Breuer ties here. They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.

6. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Senior member

What is Altea?

How do they compare to Marinella?

7. RJman

(T4phage @ June 16 2005,07:32) I see quite a few Breuer ties here. Â They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.
    What is Altea? How do they compare to Marinella?
    altea = 2-3 steps below marinella. At Breuer's price, that makes it an awful value in this country. $100 is a lot for a sub-Altea (perennial Filene's basement staple) tie.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Skull ties? Wow, punk invades the boardroom? Truly cool.

9. RJman

(RJMan @ June 16 2005,07:19) "Michael Drake" is the fashion-forward line of Drake. Â More edgy, patterns like skulls and stuff...
    Skull ties? Â Wow, punk invades the boardroom? Â Truly cool.
    eh, ya whippersnapper...

10. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

12. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Senior member

It sounds like Breuers are not the way to go.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Originally Posted by slaavwmr,June 16 2005,08:45
    I see quite a few Breuer ties here. Â They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.

altea = 2-3 steps below marinella. At Breuer's price, that makes it an awful value in this country. Â $100 is a lot for a sub-Altea (perennial Filene's basement staple) tie.
    I'll throw a dissenting view in on that. I consider Breuer as the equal to the majority of the top end tie makers. It's not quite Drake's, but I think it's pretty close. I would certainly consider it superior to the Altea ties I've seen/owned. I'd rather have a Breuer than an Hermes. Of course, I will add that I don't pay retail for ties, and wouldn't pay $100 for a Breuer, either. Plain Clothes in Birmingham carries Breuer, btw. Shaia's across the street has Altea.

14. RJman

(RJMan @ June 16 2005,10:46)
    I see quite a few Breuer ties here. Â They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.

altea = 2-3 steps below marinella. At Breuer's price, that makes it an awful value in this country. Â $100 is a lot for a sub-Altea (perennial Filene's basement staple) tie.
    I'll throw a dissenting view in on that. I consider Breuer as the equal to the majority of the top end tie makers. It's not quite Drake's, but I think it's pretty close. I would certainly consider it superior to the Altea ties I've seen/owned. I'd rather have a Breuer than an Hermes. Of course, I will add that I don't pay retail for ties, and wouldn't pay $100 for a Breuer, either. Plain Clothes in Birmingham carries Breuer, btw. Shaia's across the street has Altea.
    What? You disagree with me? Why don't you go live in Syria. Oh wait, wrong thread....

15. My View

My View Senior member

I have a few Breuer's ties and they are among the favourites in my collection. I am not sure if they are from the same line as what you guys see but mine seem to be of good quality. They cost much less here in Singapore - equivalent of about US$54 at full retail at Takashimaya. I have seen them costing quite a lot more (at least 40% more) at Lane Crawford in Hong Kong.