• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drakes & Breuer's Ties

slaavwmr

Reaction score
This was being discussed in another topic before it went off on wierd tangent.

When I was in Barney's yesterday I noticed ties called Michael Drake. Are these the same as discussed in the other thread as Drakes

Also, what is the thoughts on Breuer's ties? I saw some nice ones in Bergdorf.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Michael Drake is indeed the Drake of "Drake's". But I have never seen ties with that label; the ones I have seen only have his last name. I wonder if the "Michael Drake" line is different somehow -- in terms of quality, price, design, etc.

petescolari

Reaction score
Re: Breuer, I really like their stuff. The only problem is you either have to go to Paris, or Bergdorf's to find it. Their clothes to me are a more refined Ralph Lauren vis-a-vis South of France or even a younger feeling Paul stuart.

Most of the ties I have seen are two or three color repps. I can't comment on the quality however.

As for the Drake's, Michael Drake is the owner. I am guessing there might be a special collection if his name is on it. The one I have from Barney's reads something like, "Drake's for Barney's New York"

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wow, I actually know something manton does not.... scary.

"Michael Drake" is the fashion-forward line of Drake. More edgy, patterns like skulls and stuff. I believe construction and price are otherwise identical to the standard and more classic "Drake's" line. Barneys and Ben Silver carry or carried a few "Michael Drake" ties. Contrast and compare.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see quite a few Breuer ties here. They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I see quite a few Breuer ties here.  They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.
What is Altea?

How do they compare to Marinella?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(T4phage @ June 16 2005,07:32) I see quite a few Breuer ties here. Â They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.
What is Altea? How do they compare to Marinella?
altea = 2-3 steps below marinella. At Breuer's price, that makes it an awful value in this country. $100 is a lot for a sub-Altea (perennial Filene's basement staple) tie.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(RJMan @ June 16 2005,07:19) "Michael Drake" is the fashion-forward line of Drake. Â More edgy, patterns like skulls and stuff...
Skull ties? Â Wow, punk invades the boardroom? Â Truly cool.
eh, ya whippersnapper...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slaavwmr,June 16 2005,08:45
Originally Posted by T4phage,June 16 2005,07:32
I see quite a few Breuer ties here. Â They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.

altea = 2-3 steps below marinella. At Breuer's price, that makes it an awful value in this country. Â $100 is a lot for a sub-Altea (perennial Filene's basement staple) tie.
I'll throw a dissenting view in on that. I consider Breuer as the equal to the majority of the top end tie makers. It's not quite Drake's, but I think it's pretty close. I would certainly consider it superior to the Altea ties I've seen/owned. I'd rather have a Breuer than an Hermes. Of course, I will add that I don't pay retail for ties, and wouldn't pay $100 for a Breuer, either. Plain Clothes in Birmingham carries Breuer, btw. Shaia's across the street has Altea.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(RJMan @ June 16 2005,10:46)
Originally Posted by slaavwmr,June 16 2005,08:45
Originally Posted by T4phage,June 16 2005,07:32
I see quite a few Breuer ties here. Â They run the gamut from stripes to wovens. Quality wise I would put them a step below Altea.

altea = 2-3 steps below marinella. At Breuer's price, that makes it an awful value in this country. Â $100 is a lot for a sub-Altea (perennial Filene's basement staple) tie.
I'll throw a dissenting view in on that. I consider Breuer as the equal to the majority of the top end tie makers. It's not quite Drake's, but I think it's pretty close. I would certainly consider it superior to the Altea ties I've seen/owned. I'd rather have a Breuer than an Hermes. Of course, I will add that I don't pay retail for ties, and wouldn't pay $100 for a Breuer, either. Plain Clothes in Birmingham carries Breuer, btw. Shaia's across the street has Altea.
What? You disagree with me? Why don't you go live in Syria. Oh wait, wrong thread....

My View

Reaction score
I have a few Breuer's ties and they are among the favourites in my collection. I am not sure if they are from the same line as what you guys see but mine seem to be of good quality. They cost much less here in Singapore - equivalent of about US$54 at full retail at Takashimaya. I have seen them costing quite a lot more (at least 40% more) at Lane Crawford in Hong Kong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads