• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dover Sole

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
There was this one restaurant in Nice that we went to that we loved. I honestly don't know if it's just b/c I didn't know much about great food at the time, or because run of the mill restaurants in France are better than the run of the mill restaurants here, or if it was just b/c that week anything would have been good, but Le Lodge in Nice was a really good place. Although I kind of imagine it is like Charcuterie in Healdsburg. Solid restaurant that gets people there, but when you have world-class dining just a few blocks away, it's hard to build up a solid customer base.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Very odd. AFAIK, only heads and tails - maybe also lobster heads if used in the dish - should be passed into the broth, not whole fish.

sorry, inelegantly phrased. i should have said heads, tails and frames were passed through. not the whole fish. how would they serve the fillets after?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
96 Euros??!?!?!?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
96 Euros??!?!?!?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

That's an old price. It's probably 120 now

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sorry, inelegantly phrased. i should have said heads, tails and frames were passed through. not the whole fish. how would they serve the fillets after?
Got it. As I understand it, they actually serve the fillets before not after. The fish is cooked whole and filleted on the spot for the diner, then the carcasses and heads are recycled for the next batches of broth.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's an old price. It's probably 120 now

Last night, my wife and I were talking about her lunch there. Bouillabaisse + salad + two glasses of wine = 195 euros for one. And the 40 euro cab ride (each way) to and from Cannes.

My wife = big timer.

lefty

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Last night, my wife and I were talking about her lunch there. Bouillabaisse + salad + two glasses of wine = 195 euros for one. And the 40 euro cab ride (each way) to and from Cannes.

Did she think it was worth it though? (she probably got the big-timer lobster version at that price...)

IMO, if one is OK paying crazy $ for a Michelin *** dinner, getting a fantastic bouillabaisse is as justified.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She said it was good and an experience. At first they didn't want to serve her as they don't make it for one, but she talked them into it.

For what it's worth I've had pretty good bouillabaisse at the little bistro beside Corton on West Broadway. It was $25.

lefty

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
For what it's worth I've had pretty good bouillabaisse at the little bistro beside Corton on West Broadway. It was $25.
I don't want to know what they put in there. Good, fresh fish is expensive and a bouillabaisse has a lot of fish in it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to know what they put in there. Good, fresh fish is expensive and a bouillabaisse has a lot of fish in it.
that's true, but it's also one of those food things where a dish that was once the province of the working man has been elevated to the point where the working man can no longer afford it. as i understand it, bouillabaise, along with many other fish stews, were originally made using primarily fish that didn't fetch as high a price commercially -- the fish the fishermen were most likely to keep for themselves.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

With the Hudson River so close, I don't want to know.

lefty

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that's true, but it's also one of those food things where a dish that was once the province of the working man has been elevated to the point where the working man can no longer afford it. as i understand it, bouillabaise, along with many other fish stews, were originally made using primarily fish that didn't fetch as high a price commercially -- the fish the fishermen were most likely to keep for themselves.

Yes. Just like lobsters in Maine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads