• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double vents

guitone

Reaction score
For the past couple of years I have been very attracted to double vented sport jackets. I know these are not common, I have been able to pick up a couple of Canali double vented jackets (2 buttons as well as I prefer two button jackets too). I do not feel that all three button jackets look good on some folks (for myself I am a 40 short and being 5'7" a three button, unless of the old classic cut, can take the top button and have it way to high to have a graceful look). So my search for 2 button double vented jackets has been somewhat difficult. I have both single vented and no vented jackets and suits and these are fine but I feel a double vented looks and lays very nicely on my frame. Wonder what others think of this look? Also, a single vented jacket can sometimes separate and not look great when that happens, even on an expensive jacket, even when it is not too tight...I have had vents closed up and was surprised when I had to do so on a Burberry that was not tight in any way, anyplace....

lisapop

Reaction score
Vast majority of my suits and sport coats are made with 2-buttons and side vents, by preference.  I think side vents are the most elegant.  SVs require greater care to make certain the center flap doesn't wrinkle and crumple lest it stick out quite inelegantly.  Also, resist the (logical) temptation to put your hands in your trouser pockets thru the vents as this could eventually cause wear and tear at the pocket edges and seams. Center vents have their advantage with riding jackets, designed for the vent to part neatly around the saddle.  You have good taste, enjoy your clothes.
Grayson

LongWing

Reaction score
Speaking of Burberry, I was in their Scottsdale store about a month ago. It seemed that the vast majority of their in stock sport coats were 2 button side vents. There were some nice fabrics. If there is a Burberry near you, it might be worth a call.

Charles

lisapop

Reaction score
There's a return to the 2-button jacket with the popularity of the 3-button version wearing off, so you'll be "fashion forward" without possibly even realizing it
smile.gif
Grayson

guitone

Reaction score
Ah, yes, to be ahead of the fashion trend
cheesy.gif
My daughter now at 16 compliments me for what she used to criticze me for, dressing age appropriate...I find at 53 that I like what I like and the things I wear seem to be more classic (even the Canali that I wear are just true classics in design)...I have gotten 15 years out of some corbin slacks (now the waist if finally too small to alter anymore, but I have kept myself well and I get many years out of my purchases if I care for them, which I do, properly.... When the 3 button jackets started getting popular I already had on old Southwick 3 botton suit, but the buttons were positioned differently, nicely for my frame...I tried a couple of 3 button jackets but some lucky fellow at Goodwill is wearing them now. So, I only look for two button, and as you know it is not easy finding these..while in London in February it was near impossible which surprised me...so finding the Burberry and the Canalis that I have are great...the double vents have been much harder to find, especially if i only want 2 buttons....when the local shop near me sent out a sales letter to their Canali customers I got on the phone and asked the salesman who works with me what they had..he immediately put the blue blazer aside for me, knowing before I did that I would like it. I also picked up a pair of single pleat Canali slacks, what a great line they have, especially in my opinion for my stature, and I am thin and get lost in  very wide pants, so these are a bit trimmer, but not much.. If I am ahead of the fashioin curve I am sure very soon it will once again pass me buy
laugh.gif

lisapop

Reaction score
If I am ahead of the fashioin curve I am sure very soon it will once again pass me buy

In the never-ending fashion cycle, what's old will eventually be new again, so it's better to wear what styles you're most comfortable with, literally and figuratively, and chances are you'll always look great, and everyone will notice it.
Grayson

guitone

Reaction score
Grayson,

Well said, and yes, at this stage that is what I do. If you would have asked me 15 years ago if I would be comfortable in gabs and flannels in my down time, or that I would prefer chinos over jeans, I would think you off...things do change, but my sense of style, now that it is defined for me is very consistent and I am very comfortable with it.

lisapop

Reaction score
If you would have asked me 15 years ago if I would be comfortable in gabs and flannels in my down time, or that I would prefer chinos over jeans, I would think you off...things do change, but my sense of style, now that it is defined for me is very consistent and I am very comfortable with it.
guitone, you are a GQ model in comparison to me, often wearing sweats and sneaks on the weekends. Â I need the sartorial downtime then.
smile.gif
Grayson

guitone

Reaction score
Grayson,

Don't get me wrong...I love my sweats in the house, and I have discovered Merrill Sprint Blast Luxe type sneakers, now discontinued, but I bought up 6 pair...these look like retro running shoes, in leather, so comfortable, they now make up part of my weekend attire, with shorts for the summer or chinos...My lady friend just laughs when she sees me in them since I have not been seen without them since they arrived.

Also, as far as GQ goes, I can't afford to dress as they discuss in their pages, but I do my best to work with what I can afford, spending way more than I would have ever thought I would years ago. A fun pastime is to mimick the GQ Model's poses. My daughter and I have fun with that.

lisapop

Reaction score
I have discovered Merrill Sprint Blast Luxe type sneakers
Not familiar with Merrill sneaks, but am a loyal New Balance fan myself. There's a New Balance outlet store in Lodi, NJ if anyone might be interested. Everyone wears sweats there, and so I never have to "sneak" around the store
smile.gif
Grayson

Brian SD

Reaction score
Guitone, do they sell Burberry Prorsum at your average Burberry store? They are building one down the street from me at the mall, and I'm kinda stoked as I've never really messed with Burberry clothing before.

guitone

Reaction score
Brian,

Not sure...it is kind of hit or miss..this shop, a really nice shop will order in a couple of this and a couple of that...I had looked at this jacket for a total of 2 seconds and knew it was the one I wanted to buy, it has the plaid I had been looking for...but I am not sure of what other type of Burberry they carry....As the fine men's shops are getting harder and harder to find close by I try to buy as much as possible from my local store...

Lydia

Reaction score
Well, I've never seen stuff as cool on the burberry runways at the burberry stores, even in New York. Perhaps that is changing, though. Most burberry is decent quality, but a bit standard. The runway show for this coming fall looks very cool and I hope that all of that stuff will be available at their stores (though you don't need Burberry emulate that style)

Two vents and two buttons are clearly more flattering, even for those not intersted in being classic. Seriously, these little trends in boring old men's style are fairly irksome. "Two buttons are back." There are so few options anyway...

But I was in Saks the other day and I noticed that the majority of Dolce, armani, and even prada suits were still single vented and three button. Strange. I joked with the salemen about being behind the times. They claimed that two button was already out AGAIN. They're wrong, of course. But it's all ridiculous, anyway. I mean, they obviously just want to persuade you to recyle your wardrobe regularly while remaining in the stuffy prison which is men's style.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a return to the 2-button jacket with the popularity of the 3-button version wearing off, so you'll be "fashion forward" without possibly even realizing it
smile.gif
Grayson
Three-button jackets and coats will go out of style the same time everyone on Earth starts wearing the same outfit, a la Star Trek's view of future fashion on alien worlds. As for side vents...I used to hate them and only wore unvented tops but these days I'm even open to center vented tops. I'm mellowing in my old age I think.

guitone

Reaction score
Funny, I went for a few years really disliking side vents as well...I guess I am also one of those that recycles my style taste, but when I look at these nice new double vented 2 button jacket and the way they lay (of course if I had a big backside it would not be a flattering), I really like the line...much more so than a single or no vent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads