• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donald J. Pliner...Quality???

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I don't think there is the equivalent of Edward Green or John Lobb in women's shoes (thank God)--i.e., shoes that feature superb leather, super construction, and handwork--although C&J have a very limited offering of (really pretty awful-looking) women's shoes. Nor does there seem to be the whole bespoke phenomenon; at least my wife hasn't discovered it yet!
wink.gif

Take this as fair warning: Silvano Lattanzi makes women's shoes. All I can say is that I'm glad my wife did not like the look of them!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Take this as fair warning: Silvano Lattanzi makes women's shoes. All I can say is that I'm glad my wife did not like the look of them!
Omigod, that's ominous. Please tell me that they can't be found in Vancouver!

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Omigod, that's ominous. Please tell me that they can't be found in Vancouver!

Yeah, Lattanzi in Vancouver - right between the Edward Green outlet mall and Anderson & Sheppard on Robson St...
plain.gif

I think it was at Neiman's in SF or somewhere crazy in LA.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Yeah, Lattanzi in Vancouver - right between the Edward Green outlet mall and Anderson & Sheppard on Robson St...
plain.gif

I think it was at Neiman's in SF or somewhere crazy in LA.

That's a relief. I was afraid they might be tucked away in one of those ultra high-end boutiques on the second floor of Holt Renfrew, although I should have known better!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There were a few pairs of Lattanzi women's shoes on yoox for a relatively low amount -- a few hundred -- last year.

southbound35

Reaction score
Even though the prevailing opinion seems to be that Pliner shoes seem to be on the worse end of the value/price spectrum, I've been pleased with the one pair that I've purchased. However, the ones I purchased were not a loafer like the one linked in the first post of the thread. Mine were of construction similar to this one:

http://images.colehaan.com//is/image...EComm/SEARCH_A

The above pic is of a Cole Haan b/c I could not find a similar Pliner to the pair I bought 3-4 years ago. I've had mine reheeled two or three times and resoled once. They still look good and have held up nicely.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
pardon me, but is the name "donald pliner" an italian name?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Massaro makes the shoes for the couture houses of Chanel, Christian Lacroix, etc. Women's bespoke shoes reached their high point through the '20s to the '50s when rich bixesuals/lesbians a la Radclyffe Hall looking for men's styled shoes and cinema stars patronized the cobblers such as Francois Pinet, Salvatore Ferragamo, Andres Perugia, Pietro Yanturni, Massaro, etc. Roger Vivier who used to work for Christian Dior also had bespoke operations, but his claim to fame is the low pump sought after during the Swinging Sixties. Here is Ferragamo with his bespoke lasts:
RM20775.jpg

IndigOshare

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a new member as of today, although I have been lurking for some time now. This DJP thread prompted me to join so that I could be one of the many to voice my disappointment with DJP shoes, particularly THE GLUE! Damn Italian mountain glue is just not up to snuff.
N.

tbabes

Reaction score
The most uncomfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned in my life happened to be "made in the moutains of italy" by DJP.

I hope the Salvation Army was able to put them to good use.

Brian

mbc

Reaction score
I dug up this thread because I recently asked my father, after a lifetime of wearing dress shoes (mostly Church's), what the most comfortable ones he owned were, and he said it was a pair of Donald Pliner shoes. FWIW.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
maybe the quality of italian mountain glue back in the day is far superior to the ones they extract nowadays.

mbc

Reaction score
They just don't make italian mountain glue like they used to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads