• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doing business in China - tips?

ruzzi

Reaction score
I'm helping lead one of our company's first projects in China (with a Chinese partner).

Survival or any other helpful tips?
smile.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
This is all based on worse case scenarios, I don't have any constructive tips. Just be careful.

Never give control to a Chinese business partner. They will screw you over any chance they get. Be careful if they are a well connected business in the local province, or worse, have direct government interest.

Bribery/graft is very common, and 90% of the time it's how it's done. However, be aware that if they think you're going to **** them, they'll put you in prison for accepting their "gifts" in the first place.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
This is all based on worse case scenarios, I don't have any constructive tips. Just be careful.

Never give control to a Chinese business partner. They will screw you over any chance they get. Be careful if they are a well connected business in the local province, or worse, have direct government interest.

Bribery/graft is very common, and 90% of the time it's how it's done. However, be aware that if they think you're going to **** them, they'll put you in prison for accepting their "gifts" in the first place.

In addition to this, depending on what you are doing, you will need to arrange for a meeting with the govrnor of the province you will be doing business in. You need to have him sign your contract, otherwise, it will be unenforceable for you. You should pay him for his guidance, help and time.

In China, contracts don't mean **** unless you can have them enforced. Hell, China signs every Human Rights legislation that comes out of the UN but follows none of it. Who can make them? See my point, OP?

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Get a facilitation consultant. Breaking into China is not something you can wing. China's foreign intelligence service, the Ministry of State Security (Guoanbu) had a large hand in forming the IP laws, and SOPs that are used today, and partnering with foreign companies is a key pillar of the country's economic espionage strategy.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and get ready to drink till your liver swells. and pick up the tab.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eason knows what he's talking about. at lower levels you won't necessarily need to know local government but for anything big be prepared to do the baijiu/graft dance. and yes your chinese business partner is out to screw you.

the best advice i ever got was one night i was with a bunch of "old china hands," e.g. guys who had been in china since the late 80s. They kept talking about "the con."

I said, "how do you know when the con is on?"

Answer: "The con is ALWAYS on."

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, if we're recommending books:

"Mr. China."

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif

OP, based on all the responses, do you really want to do business in china now?

laughwithm3

Reaction score
in general, Chinese people are relatively nicer to foreign parties. Unless the Chinese partner company is large(which always means they are very well connected in the region), the Chinese partner usually will exert a decent effort in your first couple projects. Once they believed that they established a relationship with you, then the cost-cutting/screwing begins.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads