• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this Suite (36S) look ok or should i return it for a 36 "r" instead?

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
Why would you shorten the jacket? As several have mentioned, the jacket you currently own is on the short side. The longer length is what you need.

Randomrazr

Reaction score

Randomrazr

Reaction score
Why would you shorten the jacket? As several have mentioned, the jacket you currently own is on the short side. The longer length is what you need.
The R will be too long in the sleeve for you. The sleeve on the S is already hiding your shirt cuff in the third photo. The bottom of the jacket should be level with your palm, which it is.

Disagree. You should be able to cup the bottom of the jacket with your palm when the jacket is the proper length. Clearly he can't with the small. So long as the buttons on the jacket aren't functional, shortening the sleeves on the regular shouldn't be a problem.

Sleeves are perfect but then length isn't.

If it was the "R" then the length would be perfect but the sleeves too long.

If there is enough distance between the cuffs and the gauntlet buttons to shorten them then that's the best option.

If by ‘hem’ you mean shortern the jacket body, I wouldn’t advise this at all. Sleeves OK, body no (or rarely, and by no more than an inch)

Are you sure you are measuring the length the same way as the store? The difference in length between S and R would normally be about an inch, and sometimes less.

so my new hugo boss suit arrived in the mail. for some reason the pants are shipped separately but the jacket is my most concerning part.

heres what it looks like:

to long or bulky?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/27011508787/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/27011511747/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/27011509807/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/27011510307/in/dateposted-public/

atia2

Reaction score
The sleeves are now too long, but I imagine you were expecting that. They can be shortened easily.

The body is now a more traditional length, perhaps even an inch on the long side. I disagree with what others have said on this: you're young and slim, and the length of your previous jacket was in keeping with accepted contemporary fashion in your demographic.

The jacket is slightly roomy, but only to an extent that you could reasonably expect a closer fit by buying made-to-measure.

In conclusion, I much preferred the previous jacket, which I thought was off-the-peg good-to-go on you. The advice you received from others here was, in my view, stuffy, while not being strictly wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads