• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone own a Jos A Banks Signature Evening Suit?

knezz

Reaction score
I’m considering purchasing an Evening Suit from Jos A Banks. The suit I’m interested in is the Signature Peak –Lapel (Item 6775). I’m going after this suit as it has quite a few things that I’m looking for in an evening suite.

Positives
It grosgrain trim which I think is very classy.
It is light wool
It has peaked lapels
It is “one button”.

Negatives:
I don’t think the pockets are grosgrain trimmed – I can’t tell from the picture.
It has one center vent. Has anyone had a vent stitched and how did it turn out?
If you own one – what do you think about the quality and material?

If you know of any other vendors who are selling an evening suite with these features for $450.00 max
Peak lapel, Grosgrain trim, 1 button, No vents, Black, Wool, Fully lined, pants lined to the knee and pants pleats please point me.

Regards,
K. Nezz

ATM

Reaction score
I purchased a one button peak lapel tuxedo from Jos A Bank last year. I think it is the same one but they might have changed it. Mine has grosgrain trim on the pockets and no vent. I'm not enough of an expert to comment on the quality.

The description at this link: http://www.josbank.com/webapp/wcs/st...1_10050_101786 says it is unvented.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tailor can easily close a single vent. The quality of JAB fabrics and construction is very poor. I have seen them pill and develop shiny patches after very few wearings. I would consider pretty much any jacket from JAB a throwaway item. If I had a $450 budget for a dinner suit, I would be looking in the Buying and Selling forum and at other discounters for a quality tuxedo that was either a closeout, overstock, lightly worn, etc.

knezz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
I purchased a one button peak lapel tuxedo from Jos A Bank last year. I think it is the same one but they might have changed it. Mine has grosgrain trim on the pockets and no vent. I'm not enough of an expert to comment on the quality.

The description at this link: http://www.josbank.com/webapp/wcs/st...1_10050_101786 says it is unvented.

That is the evening suit I'm refering to.

How many times have you worn it?

Do you like the way it hangs?

Would you recommend it?

I did go to another JAB and found it without the vent

Regards,
K. Nezz

knezz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
A tailor can easily close a single vent. The quality of JAB fabrics and construction is very poor. I have seen them pill and develop shiny patches after very few wearings. I would consider pretty much any jacket from JAB a throwaway item. If I had a $450 budget for a dinner suit, I would be looking in the Buying and Selling forum and at other discounters for a quality tuxedo that was either a closeout, overstock, lightly worn, etc.

Any suggestions on forums or other locations (i.e. internet stores)? As I can't see the items I would need recommendations on designer(s) and specific models? I was leery of online shops as I won't have the chance to view the item prior to purchasing (but upon a number of referrals I would give it a try).

FYI... I asked the question about the difference between rentals and retail evening suits and was told that because of the thickness of the rental suits (need to be thick as they need to be cleaned at an extremely high heat and are cleaned often). Because of the thickness they won't rest as well as thinner retail suits.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions!!!

Regards,
K. Nezz

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knezz
That is the evening suit I'm refering to.

How many times have you worn it?

Do you like the way it hangs?

Would you recommend it?

I did go to another JAB and found it without the vent

Regards,
K. Nezz

I've only worn it once so I can't comment on how it will hold up over time. If you aren't in a hurry, you should probably follow dah's advice above and look at other options. I bought because it had the particular features I wanted (grosgrain, sb, peak lapel) and I was short on time. Also, the price at the time was dropped to about $300.

knezz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
I've only worn it once so I can't comment on how it will hold up over time. If you aren't in a hurry, you should probably follow dah's advice above and look at other options. I bought because it had the particular features I wanted (grosgrain, sb, peak lapel) and I was short on time. Also, the price at the time was dropped to about $300.

The price will drop to about that in a week or so (the salesperson gave me inside info).

How did it fit and feel on you so far?

Regards.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I would rather wear a rented tux for $100 than anything that could be purchased new for $450. It's just not going to be anywhere near quality. Ebay used to be an option for finding good deals, but it is increasingly difficult to find deals there these days.

You're essentially asking where you can find a good quality tux for a very low price with little lead time and the answer is almost certainly nowhere. You'll have to compromise on at least one of your lead time, cost, or quality criteria.

pdial

Reaction score
Frankly, I would rather wear a rented tux for $100 than anything that could be purchased new for $450. It's just not going to be anywhere near quality. Ebay used to be an option for finding good deals, but it is increasingly difficult to find deals there these days.

You're essentially asking where you can find a good quality tux for a very low price with little lead time and the answer is almost certainly nowhere. You'll have to compromise on at least one of your lead time, cost, or quality criteria.

I don't see how this tux would be any worse if not better than a rental tux, quality wise. Rentals quality is awful. Plus they are always really baggy. At least you can alter your own tux. Also, all of the tuxes that I have ever rented have been nowhere near $100.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JAB Signature Gold suits seem like very decent value for the money at 70% off. I got one for my boy a while back, and he seems very happy with it.

If I were a good RTW fit and needed a tuxedo (I'm not and I don't), I would seriously consider the JAB DB or SB peak lapel tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads