• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Your Friends/Acquaintances Understand Hard Work?

Lucky7

Reaction score
I will not bore you gents with a long novel, just a brief synopsis of events that have led me to be extremely fed up with some of my "friends" and "acquaintances. For the past 2 1/2 years I have been in business for myself. I run a construction related firm, and we are absolutely kicking ass right now despite a dismal economy.

I have been working 'round the clock, six days a week, with very little down time. I have an extremely understanding girlfriend of 4 years, who also works her ass off. On my day off, which is Sundays, I have spent at open houses or doing laundry and tieing up loose ends around my house.

I have a couple of friends who have been relentlessly breaking my stones about not having time and this and that. I try to explain that I'm busy, and that I still value them as friends, but right now I just don't have the time to lollygag around. They take this statement as "You're making so much money..blah...blah..blah..."

Help! How do I explain without coming off as a condescending prick?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People don't understand that a business is more than just money. It is your reputation, time, effort, stress and tears thats are on the line.

I know what its like. My friends are always like "well its your business why cant you just take a day off..?" or when it's your day off and someone doesn't show up for work you have to be there whether or not you are busy. Many people don't understand what goes into keeping a business running smoothly and successfully. When you try to explain that to them it seems like you are being arrogant and condescending. The only friends who understand are the ones who know what its like to be in that situation.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do sometimes, I dropped one who was a lazy ass mofo.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I'm blessed that majority of the people in my life do understand the hard work and dedication that it takes to run a successful business. I find that my group of friends is shrinking to only those that own or are invloved in upper management.

Syl

Reaction score
I worked a full-time job while doing my masters part-time. A lot of "friends" didn't understand why I didn't have them for them. It's sad but some people feel that if they aren't at the top of your list, you aren't worth their time.
If they are a true friend, they'll understand your time constraints and not harass you about it. If not, then there are other ppl in the world.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its the ones who always question why you work so hard who always ask to borrow money.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Hells yes. More than me.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of hard work. I'm not a fan of long work.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm just really not a fan of work.

I'd like to retire now.

Seriously though, my circle of friends is a group of people that have all had to work for what they have. Most all of them busted their asses to get where they are, and were handed little, if anything.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should never feel bad about working hard for what you want. But at the same time, there are others who choose to spend their time in other ways (or want other things). Its a choice that both you and they make, and the two may not be compatible.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, and good on you for working hard to make your **** happen

K

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
People who can't or won't understand (other than family) may need to just have to live with your schedule and move on (it's their choice) if they can't handle your time constraints. If you have one you really want to spend time with, you may need to find ways to keep that relationship going.

If you have children, I do hope you are not totally shutting THEM out.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
People who can't or won't understand (other than family) may need to just have to live with your schedule and move on (it's their choice) if they can't handle your time constraints. If you have one you really want to spend time with, you may need to find ways to keep that relationship going.

If you have children, I do hope you are not totally shutting THEM out.

No, I won't have children until I am able to devote time to them. I'm a younger gent, and when the time comes for a family I wll be in the stage in my life where I can focus my attention to them. Right now it's all about building a solid foundation.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...'cause that sounds like work, and I hate work."- Dennis Reynolds

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads