• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear shorts?

bewing77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
I'd sacrifice fashion for comfort any day.

You and 99% of all men on the planet, which is why blue jeans and a t-shirt might soon be, and sometimes already is acceptable attire for a business meeting, and putting on a polo shirt is dressing up since hey, that collar really is a bit uncomfortable compared to the wonderful potatoe-sack like feeling of wearing a t-shirt..

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Appearing unseemly

By whose definition?

Being dressed formally and being dressed well are two very different things. Rules of formality are pretty much gone in many settings, and rightfully so. A century ago, wearing a lounge suit for business would have been unseemly to many. For a fair bit of time before that, simply doing business would have been unseemly for a gentleman.

Get the stick out of your ass and learn to dress well both casually and formally. You live in the modern world, not 1850. You don't have to melt during hot summer days because some idiot 300 years prior said that you had to wear a jacket and trousers at all times.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Being dressed formally and being dressed well are two very different things.
I don't recall saying anything about being dressed formally.

By whose definition?
Those who matter.
devil.gif

A century ago, wearing a lounge suit for business would have been unseemly to many. For a fair bit of time before that, simply doing business would have been unseemly for a gentleman.
One can go into business and still be a gentleman? Gentleman by whose definition?

I'm only the second person in my family to do anything more than manage personal wealth. Believe me, there are still people who believe that actually working in the business world is unseemly.

I recall making a fund raising call on a woman who owns a very large concern named after her family. During that call, it occurred to me that the CEO of their company might be a good target for our cause. When I asked if he would be at an upcoming party, she informed me, "No, he works for me, I don't socialize with him." She was serious.

Get the stick out of your ass and learn to dress well both casually and formally. You live in the modern world, not 1850. You don't have to melt during hot summer days because some idiot 300 years prior said that you had to wear a jacket and trousers at all times.
What poorly expressed drivel.

I imagine that you and I define casual dress quite differently. Your response is just another attempt to excuse poor dress.

Go head and dress as you wish, but please, stop trying to talk me into joining you in your bad habits.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
One can go into business and still be a gentleman? Gentleman by whose definition?

I'm only the second person in my family to do anything more than manage personal wealth. Believe me, there are still people who believe that actually working in the business world is unseemly.

Be real bro, they don't work because they're lazy *****, not because work is "unseemly".
facepalm.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Be real bro...
Bro? Isn't that a bra for a man? Yes, yes, it was invented by Cosmo Kramer. I suppose he worked, the unseemly chap.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Be real bro, they don't work because they're lazy *****, not because work is "unseemly".
facepalm.gif

People can very well get "rich" working. However, usually their children stay wealthy breeding that wealth.

Don't be an ignoramus and generalize. I highly doubt 20-some Hamptons cokehead attending rehab while living off of father's success is the topic of discussion here.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
By whose definition?

Being dressed formally and being dressed well are two very different things. Rules of formality are pretty much gone in many settings, and rightfully so. A century ago, wearing a lounge suit for business would have been unseemly to many. For a fair bit of time before that, simply doing business would have been unseemly for a gentleman.

The first part is why even the lounge suit is soon to be gone. If you think that is right, and if your priorities are such that elegance and dressed up style are meaningless then MC is probably not the right forum to be in. I wish I could wear tails more than once a year.

The second part is just wholly ridiculous. I wear an OCBD and chinos/chino shorts usually over the summer, because I'm still a college student/young man. However, when I dress up in seersucker suits and other cotton jackets and trousers, I am rarely uncomfortable to the point of "melting." Indeed, technology has actually made it much easier to follow classic wear rules. Being in air conditioning fairly often, or perhaps near a fan, I will certainly not "melt." I don't believe that dressing well casually and formally are parallel concepts either--a formal always looks better than casual. Let it be SW&D or MC casual, chinos or selvedge jeans, I view a nicely cut jacket and good trousers to always look better.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By whose definition?

outstanding post. Some of these clowns wear 3 piece suits to barbecues it seems.

Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
The first part is why even the lounge suit is soon to be gone. If you think that is right, and if your priorities are such that elegance and dressed up style are meaningless then MC is probably not the right forum to be in. I wish I could wear tails more than once a year.

The second part is just wholly ridiculous. I wear an OCBD and chinos/chino shorts usually over the summer, because I'm still a college student/young man. However, when I dress up in seersucker suits and other cotton jackets and trousers, I am rarely uncomfortable to the point of "melting." Indeed, technology has actually made it much easier to follow classic wear rules. Being in air conditioning fairly often, or perhaps near a fan, I will certainly not "melt." I don't believe that dressing well casually and formally are parallel concepts either--a formal always looks better than casual. Let it be SW&D or MC casual, chinos or selvedge jeans, I view a nicely cut jacket and good trousers to always look better.

One can enjoy a lounge suit without thinking that shorts are inappropriate. I welcome people with his view point to this forum.

Lol, college students who wear seersucker suits look like pompous affected douches. I mean really, do you have any friends? Put on a pair of shorts and go outside, people might actually start talking to you.

Also, your formal and casual statement is ridiculous...not every event is formal, and you look inappropriate in a suit. Formal and casual outfits are not comparable and one can look just as good in a nice pair of shorts/polo/loafers as a guy in a suit.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, technology has actually made it much easier to follow classic wear rules. Being in air conditioning fairly often, or perhaps near a fan, I will certainly not "melt."

Technology also allows modern fabrics to be woven might thinner and lighter than anything that would've been worn back then.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Lol, college students who wear seersucker suits look like pompous affected douches. I mean really, do you have any friends? Put on a pair of shorts and go outside, people might actually start talking to you. .

You tell me what I should wear when socializing at:

Carolina Cup

Foxfields

Kentucky Derby

Church

My peers also dress the same. No offence sir, but you have no idea what you're taking about.

When I'm casually dressed, no **** I wear shorts. I actually explicitly stated that I'm very pro shorts. I have as many casual shorts as I have pants. Patagonia, Polo, a few local tailor made pairs, VV, Brooks, I enjoy wearing shorts. At the Carolina Cup this year, I actually did the classic shorts, blazer, and bowtie.

I just find if I see two people in an empty room, the guy in a nice suit looks better than the guy nicely dressed casually. One might be more appropriate at the pool, and one more appropriate at the boardroom, but still I find the suit better looking. If I attend a barbecue, I'll wear a pair of chinos and an OCBD. depending on the formality of it, I might toss on a casual blazer. If I attend a restaurant where I could get away with that would be the minimum,however, I would definitely wear coat and tie. Most people in SF complain about how others dress, but I am actually pretty happy with those in both my school and circle of friends.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You tell me what I should wear when socializing at:

Carolina Cup

Foxfields

Kentucky Derby

Church

My peers also dress the same. No offence sir, but you have no idea what you're taking about.

When I'm casually dressed, no **** I wear shorts. I actually explicitly stated that I'm very pro shorts. I have as many casual shorts as I have pants. Patagonia, Polo, a few local tailor made pairs, VV, Brooks, I enjoy wearing shorts. At the Carolina Cup this year, I actually did the classic shorts, blazer, and bowtie.

I just find if I see two people in an empty room, the guy in a nice suit looks better than the guy nicely dressed casually. One might be more appropriate at the pool, and one more appropriate at the boardroom, but still I find the suit better looking. If I attend a barbecue, I'll wear a pair of chinos and an OCBD. depending on the formality of it, I might toss on a casual blazer. If I attend a restaurant where I could get away with that would be the minimum,however, I would definitely wear coat and tie. Most people in SF complain about how others dress, but I am actually pretty happy with those in both my school and circle of friends.

what you should wear is based on the weather at those events. Church is a formal affair to some people, so a suit is fine for that.

if you are a proponent of shorts, why are we having this conversation.

Can you please post a pic of yourself in seersucker? do you wear the bowtie as well?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really an argument about what we like to wear not what we have to wear. As many have said it is perfectly possible to live in very hot climates without wearing shorts. Others have said that they enjoy wearing shorts when the weather is hot.

Personally I do not like to wear shorts unless I am at the beach or playing sport. They sit along with my many other clothing dislikes which include patent shoes, cummerbunds, espadrilles, short sleeve business shirts, crocs, seersucker and many more. I would not though want to stop anyone wearing them if that is their choice.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
what you should wear is based on the weather at those events. Church is a formal affair to some people, so a suit is fine for that. if you are a proponent of shorts, why are we having this conversation. Can you please post a pic of yourself in seersucker? do you wear the bowtie as well?
I don't have any pictures on hand, not being an active participator in WAYWN. My dress, I suppose is New England Trad with a Southern twist, interpret that how you will. Those events are horseraces which are all considered to be fairly dressed up.. Our dispute was when you called me pompous for wearing a seersucker suit at formal occasions and disagreement over whether formal attire inherently looked better than casual.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One can enjoy a lounge suit without thinking that shorts are inappropriate.
Indeed, but the appropriateness is determined by where and when each is worn.

what you should wear is based on the weather at those events.
My, that is naive.

It's quite possible that we are coming at this from different places in society.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures on hand, not being an active participator in WAYWN. My dress, I suppose is New England Trad with a Southern twist, interpret that how you will.

Those events are horseraces which are call considered to be fairly dressed up..

Our dispute was when you called me pompous for wearing a seersucker suit at formal occasions and disagreement over whether formal attire inherently looked better than casual.

right, and when I'm talking about going to a casual outdoor summer event with friends, I was not referring to a horse race

Originally Posted by RSS
Indeed, but the appropriateness is determined by where and when each is worn.

My, that is naive.

yes...and I would argue a barbecue is a perfect place to wear a pair of shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads