• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you save & look over your old work from college?

itskub

Reaction score
Typical work such as weekly assignments and papers, etc. do you save them after the school year is over? And those of you that are long out of school, do you ever read your old stuff?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I started saving stuff in kindergarten and never really looked at any of it, except to marvel that I'd kept it. There's a certain novelty to revisiting the storybook we stapled together in first grade, but that novelty is pretty short lived. Not worth hauling it around when you move, IMO. Save a few favorites, along with the stuff you might need in the immediate future, and trash the rest.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actual school work? No.

But I did save everything that I wrote for the school paper. I don't read it, but I did save it.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've saved so much crap from highschool, undergrad and my post grad that it's ridiculous. I never look at 99.9% of it. Last year, I finally threw out my highschool stuff. Still have all the rest though but I guess I'll be getting rid of my undergraduate paraphernelia after graduating from my current degree.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Showalter does a funny bit where he reads a piece from his high school lit mag that is painfully unaware that its cynicism is unearned.

I did a lot of writing in college, and I wince when I read most of it, so I prefer not to, although I have an old iMac full of pieces. I shudder to think of what I wrote in high school.

If you're asking "should I save it?" I would save it electronically, but not the actual papers submitted.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All mine died in a hard drive crash. Ditto for law school four years later. It's for the best. The work was brilliant, but I don't want a paper trail.

laugh.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to save everything for various reasons. Recently, I moved into a very small place and I got rid of everything I hadn't used in 2 years. I have very little now.

The purge was cathartic, it helped me to stay moving forward in life. In the end, nobody cares about any of that stuff but me, and I don't even know why I cared about it in the first place.

I have saved every college textbook though because I look stuff up in them here and again.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
All mine died in a hard drive crash. Ditto for law school four years later. It's for the best. The work was brilliant, but I don't want a paper trail.

laugh.gif

You went to law school? I always thought you were in finance or something... Did all that work for nothing?

Originally Posted by tiecollector
I used to save everything for various reasons. Recently, I moved into a very small place and I got rid of everything I hadn't used in 2 years. I have very little now.

The purge was cathartic, it helped me to stay moving forward in life. In the end, nobody cares about any of that stuff but me, and I don't even know why I cared about it in the first place.

I have saved every college textbook though because I look stuff up in them here and again.

Ya, I keep textbooks around too. I throw out the work and notes though. My father still has some of the papers he wrote from university. He didn't keep most stuff, but I remember going through his things and finding it when I was a teen and thinking it was kind of cool. I'll probably keep the papers that I particularly enjoyed writing and got an A in though.

Generally, everything in my apartment has some function. I don't keep things for no treason and I don't collect trinkets. Some people's houses are literally filled with junk. I don't get it and I'd hate living like that.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Actual school work? No. But I did save everything that I wrote for the school paper. I don't read it, but I did save it.
+1 I save all my writing, art, music and even my playbills from yore. Some of it is fairly embarrassing but...meh.

bomber

Reaction score
A guy at work was just talking about this...apparently he saved every single assignment/test/etc from HS/college and kept every single book as well.

I thought he was nuts, but it looks like maybe I am the weird one.

I would throw that stuff away the second I got it back (ie: teacher hands it back to me, I look at grade, I recycle). I also used to sell my textbooks back the very first day of finals (not even waiting for the actual final) just to ensure I could sell them back. If you waited until your Thursday final there was a good chance they wouldn't be buying back that particular book anymore as they would have too many copies.

What's the opposite of a packrat? That is what I would call myself
smile.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You went to law school? I always thought you were in finance or something... Did all that work for nothing?

I'm actually an exec at a software company. Law degree comes in handy in a startup environment from time to time, but basically it was a very expensive three year vacation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads