• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a mentor and what has it done for you?

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple topic. Who here has a mentor in life? Someone you go to for guidance, a role model to which you aspire in character, abilities, profession, etc.

I find myself more and more just coming to styleforum whenever I need male input/influence on things beyond what I get from my same-age guy friends. I'm 26 for reference. Kinda bizarre now that I think about SF acting as a father figure almost (ok yeah, pretty strange). But I'm not close with my dad or any older, wiser guys, and I probably should be.

Who you got and what has the relationship done for you?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a mentor told me never marry a girl far richer than you

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
Simple topic. Who here has a mentor in life? Someone you go to for guidance, a role model to which you aspire in character, abilities, profession, etc. I find myself more and more just coming to styleforum whenever I need male input/influence on things beyond what I get from my same-age guy friends. I'm 26 for reference. Kinda bizarre now that I think about SF acting as a father figure almost (ok yeah, pretty strange). But I'm not close with my dad or any older, wiser guys, and I probably should be. Who you got and what has the relationship done for you?
laugh.gif
To answer your question seriously, I have no mentor, no role model, and very few people whose advice I would take seriously. It sucks. Always wished I had a mentor. There are just very few people that I know whom I "want to be like". I am sure there are plenty out there, but I just haven't had the opportunity to meet them yet.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy

Your mentor was an idiot.
If you like her, and you life a lavish lifestyle you haven't earned, and have a woman you like.
Or you divorce her, and you still life a lavish lifestyle you haven't earned.

I highly doubt his advice was based on the morality of the above.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did have 2 mentors at different stages of my career life who had been absolutely indispensable in showing me the ropes and sharing their practical wisdom. They also proved to be very good in connecting me with the right people later in life...we still keep in touch decades later

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes.

It allowed me to retire early.

suzuka

Reaction score
mentors are great, they're father figures with life experience in your field of work.

My mentor has opened doors for me and helped with salary negotiations ensuring I didn't land in a worst predicament. I have 3 mentors and each have been indispensable in helping me grow as a person.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not really a true mentor but i've tried to surround myself with friends who are smarter and better than me. that's helped me alot.

some of my teachers, definitely. the biggest thing they've done for me is keep me kind of....realistic. like helping me curb my enthusiasm when necessary. that's good.

Milpool

Reaction score
I have had a few different mentors. Right now, I'd say I don't have one.

Early on (undergrad), I had a grad student that helped me put pieces together in my education so that what I was doing actually made sense for a long term goal of being a researcher.

Later, I had mentors that were not in my area of expertise in any way, but were high level execs. They helped me learn the "career ladder" crap.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten past the quid pro quo part of mentorship.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Your dad's trust fund isn't a mentor, brah.
Well ... that's true ... but I wasn't talking about a trust fund. I was talking about an architect that took me under wing during my early years of practice. He shared his knowledge of the profession ... knowledge that simply wasn't taught at school. As far as I'm concerned, that knowledge is what helped me have a successful career.

I no longer have a mentor ... he died several years ago. That said, I am aware that two young architects consider me to be their mentor. I've recently passed along my firm to them.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy

This is insane. The only good advice my dad ever gave me was to "knock up a rich girl"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads