• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you "collect" clothes?

stevejobs

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that a significant percentage of SF members collect clothes and apparel the way others collect stamps or baseball cards. By this I mean, when reviewing the buying and selling section of SF, there seems to be too many clothes for sale that are new with tags in a multiple of sizes that the seller could not wear.

Maybe these "apparel collectors" buy clothes because they find the fashion interesting or find a deal irresistable and buy implusively. Although they may think they might someday wear them, the clothes are kept new with their tags intact. After a while they decide their interest in their purchases has waned, so they decide to unload their cache on SF or ebay. Yet, at the same time, they keep an eye out for future acquisition to add to their closet "collection."

Do you fall into this kind of habit?

I exclude those who are strictly clothing resellers.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"collect" means you buy something to keep. A lot of the guys on this board have a preference for bespoke so I guess those guys "collect" clothes. I see everything as disposable, esp. clothes, so I try to buy what fits me and move on when they get old.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I would say yes . . . at a time I had well over 100 suits, and over 50 pairs of shoes . . . I've since given quite a lot a way, sold some, and of course bought more. I probably have 100 suits and blazers combined, and about 40 pairs of shoes. Not even counting designer jeans, button-downs, ties, etc.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do ties count?
smile.gif
I'm a minimalist in a lot of ways, and I don't particularly collect any other clothing item. But as someone who wears predominantly blue and white shirts with sober suits, I think that a good collection of ties is a good way to stand out - and I've a goodly amount of ties (more than 25, less than 50). And like everything else, my tie collection used to be bold, trendy and a little immature. Over the years, it's evolved into what I'd like to believe to be a quality collection with aesthetics. I found out what materials I liked better, which materials supported what kinds of knots and of course, what styles best matched my personality, demeanor and taste. I periodically go through my collection and get rid of stuff that I no longer wear, which helps keep the collection in check. I do the same thing for clothes as well, which is also helpful in saving space and clutter! Sadly, lately I've been buying some of the really good quality stuff, which makes it hard for me to replace my clothes, unless I stain or damage them badly (which doesn't happen all that often).

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a large collection of bowties, also accesories like cufflinks, suspenders, sock garters and so on. As far as clothes go my collection of shirts I have are pretty avaerage, I have a bout one in every color. I do have a lot of suits but it is required of me to wear them for work.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to impulse buy a lot more. Now I hardly buy anything. Anyway, the result was way too many unusable pocket squares and ties. It's a collection, but an unwanted one.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i may when i get older. nowadays, i wear everything i buy simply because i'm a poor college kid.

Conrad

Reaction score
Only thing I collect are jackets, and not sports coats and suit jackets. I like old jackets, wool overcoats, an occaisonal suede blazer, etc.

It keeps me focused so I don't go too crazy in picking stuff up.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to impulse buy and go shopping a lot before. Nowadays, I rarely ever go "shopping" It takes me a while to figure out what I want. When I am sure I usually just call the store and have it held aside or shipped. I never go into a store just browsing. If I do, its for something that I have been wanting. I realized its better to buy only things you really love. And yea, my plan is to keep the stuff I buy forever.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have "collector" tendencies.
blush.gif
It used to watches, then fountain pens, shoes and now clothes. That said, I wouldn't buy anything that didn't fit me or which I wouldn't wear myself. I try to rotate through them all...

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
Is it a collection if you wear most everything in your closet pretty regularly?

Or does that just say you have a small collection.
laugh.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose I collect Sulka ties. I say this because they're the only ones I seek out specifically (though I only have about a dozen or so), and I buy them despite rarely wearing ties.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe I am not a collector

But I am a completist.

That is I strive to have a wardrobe with all the clothing pieces there could be..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads