• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do short haircuts make you look younger?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my classic british-cut suit, but the total appearance I'm looking for seems completely messed up by my haircut... and I'm at a loss what to do about it. Basically I don't have a haircut now, it's just grown out into a shaggy out-of-bed look I occasionally trim on the sides. I need something cleaner-cut and shorter to match the suit, but I'm worried a short haircut will reveal my soon-to-be receding hairline. My goal is too look younger, but there seems conflicting views about whether long bangs or buzz cuts achieve that best. I know I'd look clean with a buzz cut, but I feel like I should do something interesting with my thick hair while I still have it. Is it possible to combine long bangs with a short haircut, and can someone post a pic so I can give it to the haircutter?

(disregarding the douchebag faces and clothes below) I like the bangs of the first cut and the "bunching" effect on the second.. how is that bunching achieved? Both seem like they'd be short on the side while still covering up the receding temples.

mens04.jpg

manspikyhaircutinmediumlengthwithlo.jpg

Inficius

Reaction score
Short hair cut with long bangs? Go for a Charlie Sheen look: http://www.fanlistings.org/charlie_s...800x600_10.jpg Then take the front, thin, layer of hair and make it rest down on your forehead. It'll probably have to been a little bit shorter on the top, though, to make it look right. Obviously they bangs wouldn't look like any of the photos you posted because they would be straighter and thinner, but it would accomplish the short hair/long bangs requirement quite well I believe.

thizzface

Reaction score
first guy looks like a hipster douche, second guy looks like a ragged hipster douche. if you really have a receding hairline, these styles would probably constitute an early comb-over.

if your head shape suits it, i would go for the shaved head. think jason statham, he looks young and hardcore.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
I find the beard does more than hair length. I have about a 5 year variance on people guessing my age depending on how much beard I have.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thing I thought of was Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction, "Hey...you, Flock of Seagulls"...

417771.jpg

Seriously though, I hate both of those haircuts but wish I could wear longer hair like when I was in my teens/20s. I'd say rock the longer hair if you still can. As far as current styles, it seems just about anything goes now (minus the mullet and mohawk).

thizzface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Shorter haircuts is coming back in.

The mohawk style (not literally but shaping your hair reminiscient to one or bunching it up more towards the middle of the head) is a look I try to achieve to get some more height as I have a flatter head.

So I do look younger from that.

the faux-hawk, a la beckham, in my opinion is pretty passe. a few years back i had an actual shaved off mohawk. from a young mans perspective the faux-hawk constituted the look of someone who couldnt commit to being a rebel. it looked more like: during the day i need to have my hair parted for work, at night i'm a wild crazy faux-hawker!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm told I look younger with long hair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads