• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do most well-dressed SF'ers wear outfits that would look ridiculous on average Joe?

youngScholar

Reaction score
The average Joe either doesn't know how to dress well or just does not care, thus any sort of SF outfit would look silly.

It is to my understanding that most of the members here were average Joes who actually began to give a **** about how they look and went though a sartorial evolution.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Due to physique or...?

Not quite sure I get your question.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
seems like a pretty easy answer on this one...the 'average joe' (in america) is most likely overweight or obese. clothes on SF are typically more fitted. combine the two and you've got:
fat-guy-in-spandex.jpg

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
The average Joe either doesn't know how to dress well or just does not care, thus any sort of SF outfit would look silly. It is to my understanding that most of the members here were average Joes who actually began to give a **** about how they look and went though a sartorial evolution.
I think the question is more where the average Joe is and which styleforum style we are talking about.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
seems like a pretty easy answer on this one...the 'average joe' (in america) is most likely overweight or obese. clothes on SF are typically more fitted. combine the two and you've got:
fat-guy-in-spandex.jpg

That guy is the mayor of some French town the tour went through.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think how well you look in something depends largely on how confident you are in what you wear. If you're wearing something like you're afraid someone's going to see you, I think people would tend to think you're not very well-dressed.

People on SF wear some stuff that most people couldn't pull off. Some of the color/texture/pattern combinations would make a lot of people nervous to try to wear.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes.

But so what?

Most of the people who care about tailored clothing anymore live in large cities and/or work in environments where it is still the standard of dress (law, banking, government, etc.)

The average Joe doesn't live in these places or work in these fields.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is it just me or do most (all) well-dressed SF members wear outfits that would look ridiculous (or at the very least, odd) on the average man ?
confused.gif
no troll

Huh?

Tweed coats? Gray and Navy suits? It doesn't get more average than much of what is posted in WAYWN. FIt and coordination is often better but other than that I really don't get your point.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
What about those people who care about tailored clothing but work in environments that are not conducive to dressing well (by SF standards), eg pilot, mechanic, personal trainer, funeral home director, whitegoods salesman, or even working in law, banking, government but at such a low rung (paralegal, commercial banking teller, random cubicle drone) that dressing so well would make one look ridiculously out of place?

Are you serious?

What if a pilot shows up in a tux? What if a sewer cleaner shows up in bespoke Poole?

Come on....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads