• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do i need separate bags for black and brown outfits?

theorist

Reaction score
hi. thanks for reading this. this is my first post.

i was wondering if i could get away with just buying a black messenger/laptop bag to go with all my outfits (shirt, tie, pants) or if i needed a brown bag to go with khaki/brown slacks and suits.

or can brown go with both?

also, can anyone recommend a stylish laptop/messenger bag for under $300?

thank you.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Too matchy...

Sorry, can't recommend a bag; I don't carry one.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Seems unbelievably uptight. I own a couple bags, but don't worry too much about "matching". Rather I think the concern is with function and situation. Not sure your bag really even should "match" your outfit.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 I have one bag it's dark/chocolate brown and it carries everything I need and I like it.

theorist

Reaction score
thanks all. maybe i am too concerned with this.

is there a dark brown/chocolate bag anyone can recommend?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably go with a dark brown if I were to have only one.

Check out bmulford's posts in the WAYWRN thread. He has a couple different bags and always chooses the perfect compliment to the outfit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, everything should match otherwise why bother? Then you might as well wear jeans and flip-flops like all the sloppy losers.

Color and texture (calf/suede...etc) must match EXACTLY among shoes/belt/bags/watch straps and any other leather on your persons.

Disclaimer: this is a joke.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
^ +1 I have one bag it's dark/chocolate brown and it carries everything I need and I like it.
I have one dark brown soft leather briefcase that I've been using for years. I have only one and I use it daily for business, regardless of what I'm wearing.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have one dark brown soft leather briefcase that I've been using for years. I have only one and I use it daily for business, regardless of what I'm wearing.

Mine is English Tan, but yes, same thing. I don't change briefcases until I get a new one.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black slim bag that I carry with any outfit (even if it's a more earthy brown getup). This may not be the ideal, but whatever. Maybe I should look into a casual bag that's a dark shade of an earthen color... probably not in the near future though.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes It is desirable but not mandatory.

Me for example, have a black and a brown briefcases.

I also have a black and a tortoise ( for the browns ) Raybans Wayfarers, to match them with the outfit
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads