• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I keep this sport coat?

Jproons

Reaction score
IMG_6052.jpeg

Hi All,

Picked up this older Canali sport coat quite cheap. It’s in great shape and the fabric and pattern are exactly what I was after. But, the structured shoulders have me feeling like a line backer. Am I just used to unstructured jackets and this is simply ‘different’, or do I walk away from this experiment?

For context, this will largely be for casual wear. I know I could easily find a similar jacket new, but the $ difference rules that out. I just don’t wear them enough to justify the cost.

Ps - apologies for the shirt/jacket combo here, was just what I had on for the day.

notdos

Reaction score
Shoulders not terrible.
It appears the sleeves are to short and (might just be the camera angle) the buttoning stance is very low.

Jproons

Reaction score
Yes sleeves need to let out a bit. Button stance is on the low side, about an inch lower than a BB Fitzgerald cut jacket that I have. Camera angle isn’t doing it any favors though.

lfd75

Reaction score
Shoulders like are a bit structured but not overly so. They may take a while to get used to if you only wear unstructured sport coats but they look fine. Button stance is a bit lower than what is currently in fashion but it’s above the pocket line and appears to be at your natural waist, which is where it should be. Certainly a classic fit.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I'll be the lone wolf here. Shoulders look very structured. If you're used to soft/unstructured shoulders you will never be happy with this. I'd walk away.

Reaction score
I'm trying to think if the shoulders could be shortened to bring the sleeve in closer to the body (and take the padding out) so it looks more casual, but that will make the sleeve even shorter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads