• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do certain spirits cause different moods?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me if I'm wrong on this, but:

Whiskey makes you argumentative and aggressive.
Vodka just makes you really drunk.
Tequila makes you party.
Rum makes you mellow.
Wine makes you confident.
Beer makes you social.

I've heard different variations of this and it seems to be true, especially with whiskey. How is this possible?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beer makes me feel drunk.
Wine makes me sleepy.
Tequila makes my clothes fall off.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with your list of what they do, or that they do different things. They might have different associations for you and people you know, so maybe you reach for the whiskey because of its burn when you are feeling unhappy, and for the vodka when you just want to get wasted and tequlia when you want to party, if you are already in those moods when you drink them, then the booze is going to accentuate your mood.
I do find I feel slightly different drunk on beer vs spirits though.

I do find that tequila makes me vomit though, more or less everytime and straight away, there is nothing interesting about that though, I just drank too much cheap tequila and now my body won't have any of it.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beer makes me need to urinate a lot, and probably makes me more argumentative since it is so much harder to get drunk with beer.

Wine makes me feel good.

Whiskey makes me feel good.

Rum often makes me feel tired, mellow, calm, or other similar adjective.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is not impossible that other chemicals in the booze might mean that it has slightly different effects (I think they do when it comes to having a hangover) but I do find it a bit unlikely.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
More than a six pack of beer makes me sleepy these days.

Hard liquors all give me the same feeling.

The buzz from wine, is somehow more organic. Don't ask me to explain that.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I don't agree with your list of what they do, or that they do different things. They might have different associations for you and people you know, so maybe you reach for the whiskey because of its burn when you are feeling unhappy, and for the vodka when you just want to get wasted and tequlia when you want to party, if you are already in those moods when you drink them, then the booze is going to accentuate your mood.

I do find that tequila makes me vomit though, more or less everytime and straight away, there is nothing interesting about that though, I just drank too much cheap tequila and now my body won't have any of it.

Correct. Correlation does not imply causation.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist

Well wine has sulfites in it, and different people respond to sulfites in different ways.

Set and setting are everything. If I'm feeling lonely and depressed, alcohol- any type of alcohol, is only going to exacerbate the situation.

I usually drink wine when I'm around my family, so perhaps that's part of the reason I associate it with feeling exhausted.

I don't know if different liquors affect me in different ways, but I will say liquor in general acts much more "insidiously" than beer does. I'll have six shots and notice some perceptual quirks, but no psychological sensation of being drunk. Much more after that, and it catches up with me in a hurry!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have always said a tequila drunk is more like a drug buzz than booze.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How a spirit makes me feel is more related to how I felt before tipping the glass than what's in the glass.

Reaction score
I never thought specific boozes affected me differently so I tend to not believe the hype. Still tequila does make strange things happen...

trex

Reaction score
Rum - acts on me like tequila, hard crazy partying.

red wine - makes me sleepy

white wine - mellow mood

whisky - numbs me, slurry speach

gin - nice drunkness

beer - I have to drink too much too fast to get drunk, so I just end up with a full belly and having to go to pee a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads