• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Divulging SF to Outsiders

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
a place where men can talk about...

Ay yay yay... just listen to the way that sounds... any place on the internet where 'men get together to talk' about anything is immediately going to make you look like a wierdo. Culture hasnt caught up. I'd highly recommend keeping it quiet 'specially since people are going to try and embarress you with it. Just look at all the outings above...

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This raises an interesting question: how many of you have spouses or significant others that read the forum? My wife casually browses every now and then to make sure I'm not coming on to any of you.

Lady C is better known on the Forums then I, which I don't know if its a good thing or bad.....

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife will prefer watching a football match than reading Style Forum and God knows how much she hates football...
Let's be honest , our debates about woolen vs worsted flannel, drape and so on will be received in 99% part of the planet as pure madness and that is the reason why we're coming here to enjoy ourselves...
How about a SF meeting for recovering Sartorial victims?

3orangewhips

Reaction score
People think this forum is totally gay because this forum is totally gay. And totally awesome. But totally gay, all the same.

However, they look like slobby bastards, so they are unimportant. I am my own little island of low-rent neo-trad whathaveyou.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This forum is not gay..We do hate Dolce&Gabanna and the Thom Browne of this world...
We're more old fashion ...We love flannel ...

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I'm actually a bit surprised by how many people get into arguments with SOs over SF. My SO just finds it funny (and a bit gay as she frequently points out).

Same here. I just recently found this place and now everytime I grab my laptop when she and I are at home together she makes some remark about going to the **** website. She likes me dressing better and compliments me on my looks a lot more now, but I don't think she likes the pressure it puts on her to also look good when we have gone out recently. But I like it and she has also adjusted to dressing better because of my behavior.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
This forum is not gay..We do hate Dolce&Gabanna and the Thom Browne of this world...
We're more old fashion ...We love flannel ...

Sorry man, but its perceived as gay. Its clear by peoples reactions. Love this place, but....

GayFlag.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thats what my ex hated about me, is that i would pressure her to look good when we went out at night.

other then that i think overall looking put together is a plus as most women see it.

clarity

Reaction score
I think that using sites like facebook and myspace are worse than a browsing simple forum. Pretty much anybody who uses a computer regularly will visit forums relevant to their interests.

Seriously, if anybody tried to call me out about styleforum or some of the other forums I visit I'd call them out on how gay updating their daily schedule on facebook every 10 minutes is.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarity
I think that using sites like facebook and myspace are worse than a browsing simple forum. Pretty much anybody who uses a computer regularly will visit forums relevant to their interests.

Well, that may be true man, but tell people you post pics of yourself when you are dressed up online so people can critique the finer details.... its a bit different than old ladies talking about knitting, thats quaint, pics like in WAYWN, hmmm

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3orangewhips
People think this forum is totally gay because this forum is totally gay. And totally awesome. But totally gay, all the same.

I wouldn't say the entire forum is ****. Some people just come here for information. But yeah, people taking pictures of themselves so they can post sartorial man-candy is pretty suspect.

What's really ****, however, is people taking pictures of themselves in public restrooms. Someday, one of you guys is going to get arrested or, more likely, beaten to a pulp, for whipping out their camera just as a six-year-old -- or a forty-year-old -- comes out of a stall. And don't imagine your explanation -- "But I just wanted to take a picture of myself to post on the Internet! It's all perfectly innocent! You see, officer, I belong to this forum where we go around taking pictures of ourselves in bathrooms." -- is going to get you out of it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is gay exactly?
For some people wearing a suit or paying attention to yourself is gay...
I work with neandertals who cannot have a conversation without takling football and nights out on the piss..They might think i'm gay and so what....

I would like to know how many people on SF are actually gay because it doesn't really matters anyway...
I have gay friends who are quite more masculine than me in their looks..
Do we really care if we're seeing as being gay?
We can be pompous but Gay?

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
What is gay exactly?
For some people wearing a suit or paying attention to yourself is gay...
I work with neandertals who cannot have a conversation without takling football and nights out on the piss..They might think i'm gay and so what....

I would like to know how many people on SF are actually gay because it doesn't really matters anyway...
I have gay friends who are quite more masculine than me in their looks..
Do we really care if we're seeing as being gay?
We can be pompous but Gay?

Gay, as it is being used in this thread and elsewhere on these pages, doesn't necessarily mean in a homosexual sense.

Some years ago, before homosexuality became socially accepted, the word "gay" was used to refer to anything/anyone that was any of the following: stupid, inane, asinine, uptight, obtuse, disagreeable with stereotypes, easily ridiculed, or just generally annoying.

That's how I think "gay" is being used here.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I think the term is being batted around in the homosexual sense e.g. the rainbow flag being hoisted above, etc.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife's the one who got me into fashion, so I've told her to "shut the **** up" whenever she has made comments about my involvement on this forvm. She created this monster.

Other people, my non-gay guy friends and my family, I have not told because they think I'm a closet case anyways with all of my orchids, french-cuff shirts, and kitty cats.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads