1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Diet/Exercise that works for a college student?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by AroundCampus247, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Oatmeal has a reputation for being fuel, but the truth is that any non-tiny source of carbohydrates will provide energy. It's more of a question of use. Fast-burning (most juice drinks, candy) might be okay soon after strenuous exercise. Otherwise, slow-burning tends to be better. Some people will disagree, but more than, say, a pound of animal protein might be bad health-wise. It is unhealthy to eat fatty meats in large amounts. Beans and vegetable protein powder are some alternatives. Switching to a low-sodium diet is safe for most people and can quickly shed pounds of water weight.

One rough measure of drinking enough water is the color of urine - dark suggests dehydration.

2. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

Oatmeal has a reputation for being fuel, but the truth is that any non-tiny source of carbohydrates will provide energy. It's more of a question of use. Fast-burning (most juice drinks, candy) might be okay soon after strenuous exercise. Otherwise, slow-burning tends to be better. Some people will disagree, but more than, say,a pound of animal protein might be bad health-wise. It is unhealthy to eat fatty meats in large amounts. Beans and vegetable protein powder are some alternatives. Switching to a low-sodium diet is safe for most people and can quickly shed pounds of water weight.

One rough measure of drinking enough water is the color of urine - dark suggests dehydration.

Why would anyone wants to shred water weight pound other than for a comp or to feel better with an illusion of ''fat loss''?

3. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

I've never worried about fast-sugar (aside from before bed) but wouldn't it also be okay before/during exercise? I sip juice sometimes during long weights to keep my energy up (probably mostly psychological though)

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

It is unhealthy to eat fatty meats in large amounts. Beans and vegetable protein powder are some alternatives. Switching to a low-sodium diet is safe for most people and can quickly shed pounds of water weight.

[​IMG]

The low sodium craze is also blown way out of proportion. If your diet is solid, there's no need to fret about sodium.

5. gvibes

gvibes Well-Known Member

Sure and happy to post a few web sights that might be of help. A couple MD web sights that I have learned diet and supplement information from are: Dr Davis, a cardiologist http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/ & Dr Eades main web sight (Dr Eades, along with his wife, used to run a weight loss clinic.) http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ I also enjoy Tom Naughton's page. Lots of good diet information there, mixed in with humor. http://www.fathead-movie.com/ Good luck!
    Similar to the Eades blog - http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/
    Some people will disagree, but more than, say, a pound of animal protein might be bad health-wise. It is unhealthy to eat fatty meats in large amounts.
    To the contrary, the present research seems to encourage eating animal proteins, and even fatty animal proteins. Saturated fat consumption improves HDL profiles, don't you know.

6. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

For precisely that.

Humans are omnivores. Some meat probably is healthy. On the other hand, does any research suggest eating a lot of fatty meat isn't unhealthy?

7. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

in college I lived off of beer, pussy, and cocaine. May I suggest the same for you.