1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Diet/Exercise that works for a college student?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by AroundCampus247, Oct 1, 2010.

1. AroundCampus247

AroundCampus247 Member

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I just thought I'd start off with a few questions.

I'm 5'10 ,200lbs.

I've been trying to eat 'healthier' lately, which is really only avoiding fast food and such. I'd really like to work on losing the belly I've gained here at school the past couple years and build some muscle and possibly some abs.

I started off kind of slow just doing 30 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 times a week at the school's gym. We've got every piece of equipment you could think of, but I'm not well versed on what all I should be doing to achieve my goal.

I'm at school almost every day from 8am-10pm or later, breakfast and dinner I can have at home, but any other meals/snacks I have to fit into a lunch container or my backpack for the non-refrigerated foods. I have access to a microwave at school, but that's about it.

So, here are my questions for you.

1. Could you share a workout plan or point me toward one that could help me burn the fat I've got and gain some muscle? (my knowledge of workouts is limited the more detail you can share, the better)

2. Is there a diet I could follow that wouldn't require me to have a lot of meals?/Could you give me a typical day and what the meals would contain? (again, the more detail you can give me the better, I've never really been on a diet before)

ex. breakfast- oatmeal and eggs with 1% milk
    lunch- ?
    dinner- ?

3. Are there lunchboxes/containers out there that I could carry with me at school that won't make me look like a middle-schooler? 0.o

Thanks for any and all advice you can give me! [​IMG]

2. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

Don't eat three meals. Eat 5 small small meals. Cut out the sugars. Avoid certain complex carbs like bread. Add 30 min of weight training to your 30 min of elliptical

3. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Don't eat three meals. Eat 5 small small meals. Cut out the sugars. Avoid certain complex carbs like bread. Add 30 min of weight training to your 30 min of elliptical

Not this shit again. Even the bros on BB.com are aware this is bunk.

Sugar is fine, starches are fine especially after weight training. Thinking otherwise is to be brainwashed by typical fitness industry dogmatic bullshit.

OP - read through the articles on bodyrecomposition.com, and read the blog 'leangains.' Those are the two best free resources available.

4. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

It is simple. Eat healthy foods. Don't eat junk foods that are low in nutrition and high in calories.

I can't stress this enough: eat only when you are hungry; stop eating when you are no longer hungry. This is something that few people understand. You must recognize the feeling of hunger, and base your consumption off that. Most people simply eat because they are on a schedule of eating 3 over-sized meals/day. Don't do this.

Bring a lot of fruit/nuts/granola with you during the day. Eat a snack when you're hungry. You don't need lunch everday if you're trying to lose weight.

Ever wonder why you don't see fit men on the elliptical? Because it's for people who go to the gym just to say they went to the gym. It won't get you fit. Do something wroth while like running.

5. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

This frustrates me. There are already so many threads about getting in shape and they all contain the same advice. You might think there's something working against you, but you're the same as 99% of humans, and there is nothing keeping you from being in great shape. It's not hard, just man up and do it.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Sugar is fine, starches are fine especially after weight training. Thinking otherwise is to be brainwashed by typical fitness industry dogmatic bullshit.

OP - read through the articles on bodyrecomposition.com, and read the blog 'leangains.' Those are the two best free resources available.

+1

7. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

The hell? Six meals is great if you are trying to gain weight since you can keep protein coming in.

8. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Senior member

You might try adding more protein to your diet. Dr Eades posted the latest study about that: More protein = greater weight loss. http://twitter.com/DrEades

9. 300zx1985

300zx1985 Senior member

This frustrates me. There are already so many threads about getting in shape and they all contain the same advice. You might think there's something working against you, but you're the same as 99% of humans, and there is nothing keeping you from being in great shape. It's not hard, just man up and do it.

Agreed, its not rocket science. Eat healthy (no processed foods, fried foods, etc), eat in moderation, and work out.

10. AroundCampus247

AroundCampus247 Member

Kpo89, thanks for the response. What sort of weight training should I do? do i work out particular muscles one day and others another, what workouts and sets should I do? Eat 5 small meals, but what should these meals consist of?

BBslm, seems to disagree with you Kpo89. I checked out the links and body re-composition got into this complicated percentage diet sort of thing that didn't really make sense to me, I guess I should research into the different types of foods and such since I don't really get what complex carbs and such are. The second link seemed to deal with the idea that body builders use which is fasting in the morning and eating later in the day, but it didn't explain what to eat.

TheDon- first off, thanks for the tips on what to bring with me to school, finally someone partially answers one of my questions. I don't appreciate the "man-up" comment afterward though, I'm here asking for information that I don't have so I can eat 'healthy' and get into shape and yet you're saying to man-up and do it without explaining how to. What sort of workouts should i do? what sort of weight training would you recommend? To put it simply, I've never been taught what workouts target what body parts or which parts of the body would be better to work out to lose weight or whatever. You didn't mention what to eat for breakfast or dinner, if i should have tons of protein like a lot of articles say or what? I'm completely open to suggestions here.

Sunnydale- I seem to get the same detail from all of my readings that the more protein i have the better. Would you know a site or something that i could go to that would explain what sorts of foods would help me on such a diet? I checked out the twitter, but didn't seem to find something that explained what sorts of foods to eat, it seemed more geared toward people who have a good knowledge on dieting rather than something I would understand as I've never dieted before.

11. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

The hell? Six meals is great if you are trying to gain weight since you can keep protein coming in.

Your point? You can fit just as much protein/calories into 2 meals.

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Kpo89, thanks for the response. What sort of weight training should I do? do i work out particular muscles one day and others another, what workouts and sets should I do? Eat 5 small meals, but what should these meals consist of?

BBslm, seems to disagree with you Kpo89. I checked out the links and body re-composition got into this complicated percentage diet sort of thing that didn't really make sense to me, I guess I should research into the different types of foods and such since I don't really get what complex carbs and such are. The second link seemed to deal with the idea that body builders use which is fasting in the morning and eating later in the day, but it didn't explain what to eat.

TheDon- first off, thanks for the tips on what to bring with me to school, finally someone partially answers one of my questions. I don't appreciate the "man-up" comment afterward though, I'm here asking for information that I don't have so I can eat 'healthy' and get into shape and yet you're saying to man-up and do it without explaining how to. What sort of workouts should i do? what sort of weight training would you recommend? To put it simply, I've never been taught what workouts target what body parts or which parts of the body would be better to work out to lose weight or whatever. You didn't mention what to eat for breakfast or dinner, if i should have tons of protein like a lot of articles say or what? I'm completely open to suggestions here.

Sunnydale- I seem to get the same detail from all of my readings that the more protein i have the better. Would you know a site or something that i could go to that would explain what sorts of foods would help me on such a diet? I checked out the twitter, but didn't seem to find something that explained what sorts of foods to eat, it seemed more geared toward people who have a good knowledge on dieting rather than something I would understand as I've never dieted before.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/ works well for gaining strength.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

At your size I wouldn't really worry about trying to put on muscle right now so I wouldn't really worry about weight training. Just try to lose weight first. If you want abs your probably gonna need to cut about 50lb of fat. 30 mins of low intensity cardio every other day isn't gonna do anything to help you lose weight, if you can do high intensity interval training doing sprints, it will probably hurt a lot, but you'll lose weight. I would cut out lunch, snacks and any sugar. If you don't have an over or stove you can always make eggs.

14. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

You might try adding more protein to your diet. Dr Eades posted the latest study about that:

More protein = greater weight loss.
    http://twitter.com/DrEades

Probably because protein results in greater satiety than fat or carbs, IIRC.

15. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior member

I've lost almost 100 pounds over the last 3 years (260 lbs at 37% body fat at my heaviest. Today 175 lbs at 14% body fat). I've tried it all. But, you know what works...and I know this is gonna sound way too easy...breathe.

Seriously.

Breathe.

Get in the habit of getting your heart rate up.

Eat less.

Do these two things first.

Don't make it too complicated.

Be consistent.

Once you're used to being a bit more active and taking in fewer calories (don't starve yourself) then you can start making more changes. Think of it as a hobby. Before you know it, your hobby will turn into a lifestyle.

16. AroundCampus247

AroundCampus247 Member

Kajak- thanks for the link. I think I understand the workout routine laid out here. I've downloaded the book and I'm already 15 pages in. Thanks again, this seems to be the workout I was looking for.

The book mentions "Eat every 3 hours, protein with each meal, lots of fruits &
    veggies, carbs for energy, 1 gallon water per day for hydration, etc."

It doesn't seem to delve more into how much or how little to eat. What sort of food should I eat every 3 hours? It says protein every meal so I take that as chicken and such, fruits and veggies are pretty simple, what kind of carbs are good for energy?

I want to make sure I'm drinking enough water since lately I don't think I have. I was thinking of getting a water bottle or something from the store and just keeping track of how much I drink with it. Is there a better method or will this work just fine?

17. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Kajak- thanks for the link. I think I understand the workout routine laid out here. I've downloaded the book and I'm already 15 pages in. Thanks again, this seems to be the workout I was looking for.

The book mentions "Eat every 3 hours, protein with each meal, lots of fruits &
    veggies, carbs for energy, 1 gallon water per day for hydration, etc."

It doesn't seem to delve more into how much or how little to eat. What sort of food should I eat every 3 hours? It says protein every meal so I take that as chicken and such, fruits and veggies are pretty simple, what kind of carbs are good for energy?

I want to make sure I'm drinking enough water since lately I don't think I have. I was thinking of getting a water bottle or something from the store and just keeping track of how much I drink with it. Is there a better method or will this work just fine?

That will work fine. While the workout is good, look around (as in, other sources) a bit more for some other info regarding nutrition. For example, drinking to thirst (that is, assuming that your body isn't messed up somehow) has been shown to be just as effective as drinking 1 gallon a day. Small meals: he gives examples... I have the opposite problem as you (I do too much aeorbic work and don't eat enough to gain weight), so I don't know how to get optimum nutrition on a small amount of calories.

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

So I've lost 100 pounds over the last year from 290 -> 188 - 192. Still have another 15-20 pounds to go. From probably 40+ percent body fat to ~17 - 18. This is over a period of 2 years.

I do my cardio via elliptical and for the most part only eat 1 meal a day.

I think the most important thing is sustainability and to always escalate when you can. I started out my first workout with a basic 10 minutes of cardio. 3 days later I did 15 minutes.

Then the next week I did 2x 20 minutes. Then the week after 3x 20 minutes. Then 25/20/20 blah blah. Today I do 4x 45 minutes a week of elliptical with peak heartrate of about 155-165 hpm and some weight lifting. Next week I'm going to start escalating to 50 minutes each work out. I also bike to work every weekday but that's somewhat trivial as I only work 3.5 miles away.

So there were periods of time where I'd burn out and plateau. When that happens I'd take a 1-4 week break and make sure not to back pedal as far as weight (I'm sure I lost muscle and gained fat though) goes and then start up again. It was like hitting a reset button and I'd start losing weight about as fast as I started it up the first time.

Anyway, that's what has been working for me. I may switch my form of cardio at some point to something different like rowing/running or kickboxing, but I think there are still easy decreases to be mined from the elliptical. I'll probably kick it up to 60 minutes 4x a week and then maybe start alternating something else instead. Once I hit sub 185 I'll probably start thinking about getting in better shape rather than just simple weight loss.

As for diet... yeah I cut back eating out and down a bit on portion size. I also changed the distribution to be more protein/vegetable base (Chicken for protein when I can instead of other stuff) and less carbs. I still eat a lot and my cheat days are pretty epic, but I punish myself by forcing myself to work harder when I do cheat.

Weight loss has been pretty easy once I've started, because I at least am very much getting back what I put into it. I think the biggest hurdle was convincing myself that it was something I really wanted to do after that everything else is pretty simple.

Oh another thing I didn't notice a lot of weight change for the first 1-3 months though I was getting trimmer as evidenced by my waistline. At some point though some sort of switch was flipped although I wasn't doing anything difference and weight started dropping very drastically.

I guess long story short: Start slow and slowly escalate and manage burn out and focus on sustainability. Never give up and don't cut yourself slack except when you feel burn out encroaching or your body breaking down.

19. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

If your goal is to lose fat (not just scale weight) and maintain muscle, you need to incorporate strength training... which is exactly what you're doing with the SS program.
    To lose weight, just shuffle in fewer calories than you expend during the day - calculate your maintenance cals and have your daily intake 500-1000 below that (depending on the type of deficit you can handle and prefer). Meal frequency is of little importance, I think it's best to stick with what you feel good with - be that 3 squares a day of 6 smaller meals, you can try both and see what works for you.

I have to emphasize this: diet is key - it's almost impossible to out-train a bad diet.

Being a college student myself, I know it's sometimes very difficult to prepare all of your own meals, but I'd still advocate bringing in as much of your own foods as you can. Though I'm pretty unaware of the US college lunch menu, I'm sure there are foods you can fit in your daily macros if you haven't had time to bring in your own lunch etc.

Consistency leads to results - keep on at it even though at times it will be difficult.

20. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Senior member