• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

details on how to get your regular chinos tailored/alternated?

Pal_Brand

Reaction score
So there is that ultimate modern dilemma when it's about buying new pair of jeans or chinos, the only options I have are 501 and 507 cuts in the local market, and I could find a big bunch of crappy boot cut jeans as well... for chinos things are a little bit worse, seems like most of what I find are baggy. Slim cuts are my aim, I can get ready slim cut trousers but those will cost me more than 100 bucks per pair.

My question is: what (available) jeans cut should I get in order to alter it, like tightening the hems or the whole leg, should I tell the tailor to start narrowing it starting from the knees or mid-thigh area? don't I need to give him any further dimensions to work on? I've read on this lovely forum tonight that hems should be 7.5'' wide, that's cool, what about the rest of the leg?

anybody owns this brilliant CK metal slim body jean:
http://www.calvinkleinjeans.com/prod...430140.3602964

how do I tell my tailor to make "any" crappy jeans look like this one??
thank you all in advance
smile.gif

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll need to find a pair that fit somewhat decently to begin with. The less you alter the pants, the more in-proportion they stay and the better they look.

You really can make a huge difference through some simple alterations. I took a pair of $13 Wal-Mart flat-front chinos, hemmed, slimmed the leg via the inseam, took in a hair from the topblock via the front-to-back seam and raised the crotch (effectively lowering the rise) maybe an inch, roughly. They came out like a pretty damn fine pair of slim-cut chinos, if I might toot my own horn. The key is to make sure the seams are pressed flat for a professional look.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got 2 pairs of these, in khaki and gray, at UO in sz 28x32 for $20 each. I would prefer a lighter khaki and lighter gray than what I purchased, but I am still happy with it. http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146855.3146926 Fit is SLIM. I have not been able to find any slim pants (other than jeans, of course, and AA unisex cords sized down a bunch) for a decent price at all. I don't really like the details on these, but for $20 I think I did well. Honestly, at $50 they're not a bad deal either.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I got 2 pairs of these, in khaki and gray, at UO in sz 28x32 for $20 each. I would prefer a lighter khaki and lighter gray than what I purchased, but I am still happy with it.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146855.3146926

Fit is SLIM. I have not been able to find any slim pants (other than jeans, of course, and AA unisex cords sized down a bunch) for a decent price at all. I don't really like the details on these, but for $20 I think I did well. Honestly, at $50 they're not a bad deal either.

^ no kidding! I tried those on once out of curiosity and felt like the fabric was vacuum sealed to my legs. Did you size up?

Pal_Brand

Reaction score
http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3607183

See "Listi", those are so hot as well, I've noticed them before but I can't seem to find them in my region, not for 50 or even 70 bucks
frown.gif

I'd like to ask if anybody knows what brand the shoes in this link listi posted are:
http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146855.3146926

Ludeykrus:

You really can make a huge difference through some simple alterations. I took a pair of $13 Wal-Mart flat-front chinos, hemmed, slimmed the leg via the inseam, took in a hair from the topblock via the front-to-back seam and raised the crotch (effectively lowering the rise) maybe an inch, roughly. They came out like a pretty damn fine pair of slim-cut chinos, if I might toot my own horn. The key is to make sure the seams are pressed flat for a professional look.
For that fact that I'm new to the whole style thing, your instructions were a bit difficult for me to understand, could you please give me more info on this
smile.gif
like how do I tell them to "take a hair from the topblock" and what did you mean exactly by pressing the seams flat? do you have any drawings, that would be great I suppose.

no kidding! I tried those on once out of curiosity and felt like the fabric was vacuum sealed to my legs. Did you size up?
dude! it's the SLIM cut, it's not skinny (although levi's calls it skinny), I think it's finally the time we slim people are embracing our slimliness :p what size do you usually wear (W/L)?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pal_Brand
Ludeykrus:

For that fact that I'm new to the whole style thing, your instructions were a bit difficult for me to understand, could you please give me more info on this
smile.gif
like how do I tell them to "take a hair from the topblock" and what did you mean exactly by pressing the seams flat? do you have any drawings, that would be great I suppose.

A pair of pants has four main seams:

-One running from the bottom of the zipper, down across the gooch, and up to the middle of the rear of the waistband.
-One running from the ankle, up the leg, across the gooch, and back down to the other leg.
-Two running down from each hip to the ankles.

Taking each seam in can accomplish different things. The two that run longways up the legs can be taken in to slim the legs, and a bit can be taken in at the crotch of the inner inseams to raise the crotch/lower the rise. The shorter seam from the fly to the back can be taken in to alter the 'topblock', which is everything above where the legs join the body.

-revo-

Reaction score
Ludeykrus, thank you very much for this info, I have been thinking about some modifications on my NS, but did nothing cos I didn't want to screw such good jeans Now that I know what to ask for exactly, it will ease thing up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads