• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deck shoes

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Sperry Topsider's... it's the only brand, period. All others are copies since they are the original.

I'm the first to admit he doesn't know squat about deck shoes, so I can't help with brands. However, as we all know, being the first doesn't always equal being the best.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
Sebago's Docksides are much better made than Sperry Top Siders, IMO. More expensive, too.

Good to know, thanks. I have a pair of Sebago driving loafers in the mail.

coogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'm the first to admit he doesn't know squat about deck shoes, so I can't help with brands. However, as we all know, being the first doesn't always equal being the best.

it just means they've been doing it the longest ;-)

p.o.t.u.s

Reaction score
I really like the look of boat shoes, but have always been a bit reluctant to wear them as I'm never sure when or how I'm supposed to wear them...well, off of a boat.

I know no socks and light cotton pants is the default attire for boat shoes, but is it really bad form to wear them with khakis and socks? I've even seen people wear them with jeans!

I've heard some say both combinations are fine, but have heard others actually guffaw when such paring is proposed.

Verdict?

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s
I really like the look of boat shoes, but have always been a bit reluctant to wear them as I'm never sure when or how I'm supposed to wear them...well, off of a boat.

I know no socks and light cotton pants is the default attire for boat shoes, but is it really bad form to wear them with khakis and socks? I've even seen people wear them with jeans!

I've heard some say both combinations are fine, but have heard others actually guffaw when such paring is proposed.

Verdict?

People guffaw at lots of outfits posted on this forum. There's no firm rule on this issue, and it's been debated in past threads. I wear my deck shoes with shorts, pants, and jeans. In the winter, I wear socks. I use them instead of driving mocs, as I haven't really found any driving mocs that I really like. It's different, but I like it. There are certainly worse looks out there.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I thought Quoddy were the boat shoe of choice on the Men's Clothing board?
Only for those in the know... ssshhhh...
wink.gif

JOA

Reaction score
I have both A/O Topsiders and Quoddy's, and like each for different reasons. Overall, I find myself going for my Sperry's more often. I suppose that's tied to childhood/youth, since that's what I've always worn. You can't go wrong with them.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I thought Quoddy were the boat shoe of choice on the Men's Clothing board?

They're really well made and are nice, but I think they're on the dressy-side and more adult. They're good to have around for specific occasions, I still have a pair from college that are still in excellent shape, but I find myself wearing Sperry's much more even to those occasion. Probably why they are in such good shape.

Confederate

Reaction score
Can we just agree that every jerkoff who runs out and buys Sperry Billfish without ever having owned another pair just ought to be shot? The Billfish are hideous abominations of boat shoes. The color is awful, the mesh is utterly unnecessary, they look ridiculous with a jacket, and they are an overbearing sign that you are a wannabe-frat-prep fake who jumped on the bandwagon 6 months ago. The beauty of the classic Original Boat Shoes is that you can wake up and put them on before you run over to the golf course, boat, or whatever, wear them all day (without socks!), and then when it's time for dinner at the country club, you don't even have to change your shoes. The Billfish have just got to go.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're actually going sailing, Sebago. If you're just trying to look cool, Sperry, I guess. Truth be told,if the tops aren't worn from crawling around a deck you'll be pegged as a poser regardless of brand.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confederate
Can we just agree that every jerkoff who runs out and buys Sperry Billfish without ever having owned another pair just ought to be shot?

No.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

It doesn't always, but in this case it does.
smile.gif

Dranakin

Reaction score
Is the Sperry Top Sider Original Boat Shoe machine washable? I can't decide between the navy Sperry and a navy Rockport Bridgeport. I suppose that "machine washable" could be a factor since they're the same price...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads