• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC is hoppin'

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how did they secure all the (I presume, residential apartment) buildings around the mall? The ones I saw on TV where they had people on the roof and balconies.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Just curious, how did they secure all the (I presume, residential apartment) buildings around the mall? The ones I saw on TV where they had people on the roof and balconies.
They controlled access, spoke to people about what was acceptable and had counter snipers.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about people who lived and/or worked in those high rises?

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
What about people who lived and/or worked in those high rises?
I think all of the office buildings were closed, but they of course had security and other essential people. I had to have my name put on an access list and they asked for some information like DOB and SSN. This was provided to some agency and I am not sure if a background check was ever done.

I believe the same was done for residents of buildings on the parade route and they had to be on an access list to gain entry to the building and or area. The most I know about that was from an interview with a lady who lived in one and it was like 90 seconds and not that detailed. She did not seem put out but did not look destitute either.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I believe the buildings where he was out and walking were mostly government buildings which were closed.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I can't imagine what a task it must have been to secure the whole ******* area.
They are used to it and get a lot of external help. They also had increased coast guard presence on the Potomac because of fears of a Mumbai type attack. It makes things a lot easier when they can close streets for extended periods. They did a fantastic job I think. I saw an older gentleman brought into our building with his grandchildren while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. He looked OK and I am not sure what was wrong with him but it was nice to see everyone helping out.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
They did a fantastic job I think. I saw an older gentleman brought into our building with his grandchildren while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. He looked OK and I am not sure what was wrong with him but it was nice to see everyone helping out.

Agreed. In DC, people are pretty used to security measures that border on the absurd... and the overall positive vibe really helped.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
ok but seriously GET THE **** OFF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ESCALATORS ASKLGHASKGHASGLKHASG

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
ok but seriously GET THE **** OFF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ESCALATORS ASKLGHASKGHASGLKHASG
HEH! I had my brother in town a while ago and he was talking on the Metro in the morning and pretty loud. I told him to not talk and the Metro. I hate people who talk loud on the Metro in the morning!
plain.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night wasn't too bad. The National Guard troops let me drive through all the security check points because I was on my way to the ball and in a tux. It was sweet, like I had the road to myself until I got to Logan Circle.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should say that the entire weekend was like NYC came to Washington DC for a few days. It's fun that it visited, but it's really nice to know it's not staying too long!

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by princemarko
Obama and his supporters are disgusting. It was really cold in DC because hell froze over.

Maybe if they were driving G55s they wouldn't be??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads