• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DC Filene's Basement: good selection of suits (25% off sale), sportscoats, ties

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filene's Basement on Connecticut Ave. in Washington DC is having a 25% off suit sale until Sunday. I have a vague recollection that this has been posted already, but a search didn't bring it up. Regardless, I wanted to post because I'm in DC, so I stopped to look earlier this evening and was very impressed by the selection. They have the usual large range of Oxxford and some HF suits, but I also found two Belvest suits and one Vestimenta in my (very rare) size alone. In addition, I found about 5-6 Canali sportscoats in my size. They also have a larger than usual selection of Brooks Brothers ties. Although the ties are irregulars, they are in much better shape than the selection I typically see at Marshalls. In fact, I couldn't detect the flaw in most of the BB ties I saw. Anyone in the area might want to stop in for a look.

Although it can be hard to find RTW suits in my size, I decided to forgo the Belvest suits (made for Louis Boston) since I recently bought 3 suits and the Belvest suits both had minor issues (one had shoulders that were too soft for me and the other was a slightly too dark charcoal). The Vestimenta's shoulders were also too soft and didn't flatter me. Unless I find an absolutely fantastic deal, I've decided that I'd rather save the money and commission a suit from a very good tailor I've found in La Jolla (thanks Full Canvas). Although I really need sportscoats, with one exception the Canali sportscoats in my size are 3-button and don't look good on me. The exception is very similar to a coat that I own, so I ended up buying no sportscoats either. Instead, I bought only 3 ties.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40