• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark jeans or light jeans?

rawrxd

Reaction score
Should guys wear dark jeans or light jeans?

I used to wear light jeans but today I went shopping at a clothes store and bought two pairs of relaxed fit and straight jeans. They're really dark and I mean very.

Do you think dark jeans are better? Or light jeans? And why?
And also what kind of shirts and shoes would dark jeans go well with?
I remember I got them from Levi's and the other from Nautica.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of darker, but it is a matter of your own tastes and likes. Most on this board will opt for the darker.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
While I like dark jeans, and will admit to not actually owning any light jeans, I've never understood why the latter variety seem to be hated so much here.

We where trousers in shades spanning from white to charcoal, with many different hues there of. Why should this not hold true for jeans?

Rathbone

Reaction score
I like both, but i rarely go to the extreme end of the spectrum for either. Well, i do have a pair of white jeans that i wear with a chambray shirt very occasionally (like, once this summer) and i don't know if i own any black denim that fits anymore.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is the style forum not the fashion forum. Dark jeans are 'in fashion' currently but when they eventually wash out light are we supposed to throw them out just because some numbskull in paris or Milan or wherever says they aren't 'in'?

I do think dark jeans can get you into a more dressed up event than light jeans, but as discussed recently on here, dark jeans with a navy blazer look too close in colour. I have all Levis - a couple dark pairs, a couple washed out which look fine when I'm on the Harley, and one white for summer holidays.

Today I saw a fella aged in his forties, wearing yellow dress shirt with cuff links and open neck, checked sports jacket like a glen plaid, and dark jeans with 'designer' fraying from the crotch to the knees on both legs, and brown dress shoes. I have no idea what he was thinking with these hideous things on his legs but its the worst fashion felony I've seen in a while.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darker are easier at the moment, light jeans can be done but are harder to avoid looking dated or like 'dad jeans'...

Embargo63

Reaction score
I'll have to side with darker on this one. Perhaps there is an age divide, though. Most 'in-the-know' fellas my age I see are opting for dark including myself. Most older, conservative dressing men I encounter seem to wear traditional denim color or lighter.

It could also be thanks to President Obama's "mom jeans" moment at the WhiSox game some time ago
eh.gif

- E63

greyinla

Reaction score
While I like dark jeans, and will admit to not actually owning any light jeans, I've never understood why the latter variety seem to be hated so much here.
Traumatic memories of acid wash?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark jeans. The wear lines from your natural body movements at the thighs and behind the knees have character that lighter jeans cannot match.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Jeans are a classic item and I like them to look that way. Poor quality distressing ruins this and so does ugly pocket decoration. Distressed jeans that look real are rare, done by hand and therefore usually repulsively expensive. They are just jeans but since we are on SF, focus on quality, and factory distressing is anything but.

You won't hear a recommendation here for new distressed and frayed shirts or sportscoats, even though worn in jackets and shirts seem to be greatly admired. Jeans are no different.

My suggestion is, buy them raw or one wash and they will get lighter with wear. If they are decent weight and decent quality they should last long enough that they will naturally become light with age and still look good.

When I buy jeans that are already a light colour, I buy ones that have been dyed with a light colour, just like with any other trousers, not distressed to look lighter.

Oleg

Reaction score
Both (though only one at the same time). Jeans get interesting when they wear and age. Not so hot on artificially worn ones but dark jeans are a bit more 'du jour'. Dare say in a few years time, there'll be the same militant fringe on here arguing in favour of lighter ones.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
Both (though only one at the same time). Jeans get interesting when they wear and age. Not so hot on artificially worn ones but dark jeans are a bit more 'du jour'. Dare say in a few years time, there'll be the same militant fringe on here arguing in favour of lighter ones.

Lighter jeans will never come back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads