• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this pair of funky 1960's Dack's Custom Grades; black with the blue ventilated vamps.They are the 1960's descendant from the mid-50's Dacks "Palm Beach". These shoes are the first I have on the very early #12 last, which has a sort of seventies look, but which must date back to the 20's. They will be fun to wear next summer, or if I head to Florida this winter!

The "Palm Beach" ad is from 1955. As far as I can tell they were only offered in brown.My shoes must predate 1970 based in the sock-liner. I am guessing later in the 60's.

IMG_2992.jpg
IMG_2994.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
1955 Palm Beach.JPG

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday @Paul902 (yes he still exists) sent me a cool picture of a Dack's stamp on the sole of a pair of 70's-ish Church loafers. It was a little hard to make out (first image), but we suspected it said "Re-Built by Dack's". It was very cool in that it used the pre-1949 logo with the ribbon banner beneath the narrow script font. I had never seen this before, although I was aware that Dack's heavily advertised their rebuild service from the 1920's right through to the 70's. While that early logo disappeared on everything else in late 1949. it appears that Dacks continued to use their old stamp on the rebuilds.

Well today I thrifted a pair of 1970's low loafer boots by Dack's, and what do I see? Yep, the Re-Built by Dack's stamp. Funny how things work.

dacks logo.jpg
IMG_3021.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday @Paul902 (yes he still exists) sent me a cool picture of a Dack's stamp on the sole of a pair of 70's-ish Church loafers. It was a little hard to make out (first image), but we suspected it said "Re-Built by Dack's". It was very cool in that it used the pre-1949 logo with the ribbon banner beneath the narrow script font. I had never seen this before, although I was aware that Dack's heavily advertised their rebuild service from the 1920's right through to the 70's. While that early logo disappeared on everything else in late 1949. it appears that Dacks continued to use their old stamp on the rebuilds.

Well today I thrifted a pair of 1970's low loafer boots by Dack's, and what do I see? Yep, the Re-Built by Dack's stamp. Funny how things work.

View attachment 1290870 View attachment 1290871

My first few pairs of Dacks were the Cheaney made ones prior to their initial bankruptcy.

When the current Matthew Dacks was revived, I emailed them about their recrafting service they used to offer. They did not offer the service when I asked in 2012 but recommended a cobbler in Toronto (Bay Bloor Shoe Repair, which is Ivor Woolridge’s go to place), and Coakleys in London.

I have tried both, and prefer Coakleys.

I checked recently, and Dacks has brought back a repair service using a local Quebec City cobbler:

Which cobblers do you gents use? I have a few favourites in Sudbury, London, Barrie, Thunder Bay, and Vancouver. I have yet to find one in Toronto I really like.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the second snow storm upon me in southern Ontario, I am wondering if anyone here wears Canadian made winter boots?

Not a lot of choices, but these are the brands I have found (currently in business):

Pajar, Anfibio, Dayton, Viberg, Martino, Paul Brodie, Mellow walk, some Kamik, and a company that is unlisted but makes boots for Walmart and Canadian Tire. The latter brand seems cheaply made and assembled.

Anfibio is the only one that would work for me given they have EEE width.

Currently I have a pair of Kamik Williams that are heavy and warm. Otherwise I use rubber over shoes and over boots. I have 2 pairs of over boots made in Canada for the military. Thrift scores along with Canadian made Acton and US made Totes.

Anyone else have Canadian made boots? Winter or otherwise?

Bjorling

Reaction score
With the second snow storm upon me in southern Ontario, I am wondering if anyone here wears Canadian made winter boots?

This is a good question. I have generally failed since the 1970s at finding winter boots I'm comfortable with. Most end up too bulky, too skimpy or too cheaply made. Right now I'm wearing 2 Italian brands and find them to be very good. I have 2 pair of Aquatalia and they're great so far, warm and waterproof -- found these at Marshalls for $100-150. Also have a pair of Buttero with a crepe sole that is doing very well and cost $100 at Winners.

For Canadian made, I've just ordered a pair of Canada West Boots Romeo and will report back. I got these because I wanted a pair of pull-ons and liked the description of the boots' quality. Also, most pull-on boots I've tried were nearly impossible to easily pull on. The Romeo's have a built-in leather pull tab on the back rather than just a flimsy piece of fabric sewn on. However, I'm not sure how warm they will be or what the fit will be like -- I ordered on-line without trying on. Paid $164 on sale from Gravity Pope.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
I have a pair of Canada West 14326 Romeos and they're a solid boot. EVERYBODY around here wears Blundstone, so I was happy to have something different AND made in Canada. But they won't get you through winter.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a very nice pair of late 1960's-early 70's Dacks whole-cuts (10.5C) arrive today from Poland. I picked them up on UK eBay for $35 Cdn. This style, in water bison with the hand stitched encircling band, was made from the early 50's to the early 70's. The earliest shoes, 1952-1958, were labelled as S.E. Dacks and had a 3 digit style code (330). Later shoes had the Bespoke Shoes- Highest Quality sock-liners, followed in the late 60's and 70's by the "Shoes for Men" liners. All of the later shoes have a 4 digit style code, with the 2330 for brown and 3330 for black. Starting at some point early in the 70's Dack's switched to Kudu antelope for the whole cuts, and eliminated the hand stitching. These shoes were coded as the 2331's and 3331's. I have seen one pair of later black calf whole-cuts numbered as 3332.

IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Bespoke quality water bison whole cuts.JPG
    Bespoke quality water bison whole cuts.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 18

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a lot of choices, but these are the brands I have found (currently in business):

Pajar, Anfibio, Dayton, Viberg, Martino, Paul Brodie, Mellow walk, some Kamik, and a company that is unlisted but makes boots for Walmart and Canadian Tire. The latter brand seems cheaply made and assembled.

Anfibio is the only one that would work for me given they have EEE width.

Currently I have a pair of Kamik Williams that are heavy and warm. Otherwise I use rubber over shoes and over boots. I have 2 pairs of over boots made in Canada for the military. Thrift scores along with Canadian made Acton and US made Totes.

As of today I will be wearing these Boulet "Police Boots". They lack the steel toe and are a bit more gracile than the H.H. Brown version. They also have the cool cap-toe with the double row of stitching. Other than that I have a pair of old Canada Rubber Co. "Miner" boots from the 70's and an old pair of Sorrels that I have had for at least 45 years. Lately I have been wearing my US made Filson boots on sloppy days. I keep them gummy with mink oil and they are so well broken in. But I think these Police Boots will get in the rotation in a big way. They fit me well with a medium weight sock which is a plus in winter. I just picked them up this morning. I will see what sort of shine I can get on those toe-caps.

IMG_3045.jpg
IMG_3046.jpg

Update: After a little work on the toes. Nice leather. I think with some patience I can achieve a mirror finish.

IMG_3048.jpg

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

The thrifting search goes in fits and starts, eh? I've seen several barely used pairs of Canadian forces and/or police style boots at VV in my local area lately. Non in my size though. You're right with the leather quality, always good.

kilowatts

gorebug

Reaction score
Was able to find some Canadian made Florsheim Imperials on the weekend (McHale?) as well as a funky pair of mens Fluevog chukkas (canadian brand although foreign manufactured - and not really classically styled).

I believe these are Kudu Antelope plain-toe-bluchers but do not appear to be goodyear welted.
1CG_7750.jpg

Attachments

• 1CG_7732.jpg
    1CG_7732.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1CG_7735.jpg
    1CG_7735.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 1CG_7741.jpg
    1CG_7741.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1CG_7742.jpg
    1CG_7742.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1CG_7726.jpg
    1CG_7726.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 17

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was able to find some Canadian made Florsheim Imperials on the weekend (McHale?) as well as a funky pair of mens Fluevog chukkas (canadian brand although foreign manufactured - and not really classically styled).

I believe these are Kudu Antelope plain-toe-bluchers but do not appear to be goodyear welted. View attachment 1296008
Lovely Antelope Florsheims. They were made in London by McHale for sure. I would love to have a pair. Kudus to you!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads