• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up these lovely Canadian Army officer's dress derbys today on my way back from a trip to Montreal. They were made by H.H. Brown in 1975 in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I have found dozens of pairs of these shoes in black, and fairly regularly see the Navy version in white, but I find this brown style is hard to find. They would have been just another government issue shoe in 1975, but after 45 years they look pretty damn good!

IMG_4570.jpg
IMG_4571.jpg
IMG_4572.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a shoe ad from the Ottawa Citizen from 1984 from Letellier who are still in business in the Byward market area. It is interesting to note that the John McHale signature shoes were rightly priced above the Florsheim Imperials, however I was somewhat surprised to see that the the most expensive shoe listed was the Hartt brogue. It is true that those mid 80's Hartt's (and Dacks) were very nice but I am not sure they outshone the John McHale Bomber.

1984 shoe pricing.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thrifted two pairs of Florsheim by McHale yesterday, both 10.5E. The black pair are just slightly used while the brown pair are NOS. Lovely shoes. One letter width too wide for me and one letter width to narrow for my son.

IMG_4580.jpg
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4583.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These interesting seal leather John McHales popped up on Etsy this week. The sock-liner indicates they were part of the "Caravan Collection". They are identical to a pair that I own in Elephant leather. I suspect they date to the late 60-to mid-70's although I can find no ads for them in the newspaper archive. I wonder what other exotic leathers were part of the collection? Shark, alligator? One would assume camel for sure. The vendor wants $811 CDN for them so they might sit around for awhile. They appear to be a little heavier built than most of the Dacks seal leather shoes, although Dacks offered a split toe Norwegian that might give these a run for their money.

Mchale seal 1.jpg
mchale seal 2.jpg
Mchale seal.jpg

Last edited:

Moaks

Reaction score
I picked up these lovely Canadian Army officer's dress derbys today on my way back from a trip to Montreal. They were made by H.H. Brown in 1975 in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I have found dozens of pairs of these shoes in black, and fairly regularly see the Navy version in white, but I find this brown style is hard to find. They would have been just another government issue shoe in 1975, but after 45 years they look pretty damn good!

View attachment 1413222 View attachment 1413223 View attachment 1413225
They look brand new!!

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
By no means a fine leather shoe, but interesting none the less. Was Collins a maker or did the contract out? I've never heard of the before.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By no means a fine leather shoe, but interesting none the less. Was Collins a maker or did the contract out? I've never heard of the before.

I believe Collins was a retailer and those shoes were manufactured by one of the Quebec manufacturers. likely H.H. Brown out of Sherbrooke. Virtually all of the dress safety shoes that I have seen in Canada were made in Quebec, with the exception being the Sisman products from their factory in Aurora, north of Toronto.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jiqea Not sure if you have seen these.

There's a bunch of interesting mismatch Dacks and McHale shoes and boxes. One McHale box said made in Italy

That box is interesting. The shoes obviously don't match as they are Barkers.

I didn't know that McHale had shoes made in Italy!

goatamous II

Reaction score
@Jiqea Not sure if you have seen these.

There's a bunch of interesting mismatch Dacks and McHale shoes and boxes. One McHale box said made in Italy

Radio Shack?
Polaroid?
DVD-R?

what year is this ebay page from???!?

[Nice find on those Dack's. the Wallabees made in Ireland are interesting!]

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Radio Shack?
Polaroid?
DVD-R?

I was about the say... the Radio Shack piece is historical.

I think someone emptied out grandpa or dad's collections.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Radio Shack?
Polaroid?
DVD-R?

I have been following that fellow. I am hoping he lists something nice. It looks like he has stumbled upon a cache of 1970's dead stock. He hasn't listed anything yet that fires my guns, but who knows what might come out of the wood work.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Are these two low end on the quality scale? The prices are quite cheap for NOSes.

Are Dacks' sizing consider true to Brannock sizing?

Corrected grain on these?

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Spoiler: Canadian shipping questions:

What is the cheaper and reliable shipping option from US to Canada? How does one reduce any imports duties/tariffs/fees for selling to acquaintances.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads