• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cutting Boards

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between wood and bamboo. I'll be using the board (ineptly) with Wusthof Classic knives.

From what little I can find online, bamboo and maple have about the same hardness (1400-1500 Janka). They also should both be antibacterial. Is there any criteria besides aesthetics and price I can differentiate on?

Is end-grain worth paying extra for with either material?

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure whatever you buy can be tossed in the dishwasher.

I have a lot of different cutting boards. Some look better than others, but they get used a lot. I do have a nice small bamboo cutting board I use exclusively for presentation (cheese, mainly), but the rest of them were bought for function.

carlhuber

Reaction score
You can put wood cutting boards in the dishwasher?
I was under the impression that the heat and moisture would significantly degrade their lifespan.

(And by lifespan I mean easily 5+ years)

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
You can put wood cutting boards in the dishwasher?
I was under the impression that the heat and moisture would significantly degrade their lifespan.

(And by lifespan I mean easily 5+ years)

That's my point. I have a lot of plastic cutting boards, since I use so many. If I bought only really nice looking wood or bamboo cutting boards, I'd spent most of my time washing dishes instead of cooking.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've never used bamboo. I like maple. For chicken and pork, I use a treated wood board that goes in the DW.

Make sure you season maple with mineral oil from time to time.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've never used bamboo. I like maple. For chicken and pork, I use a treated wood board that goes in the DW.

Make sure you season maple with mineral oil from time to time.

I agree. I know that in some ways plastic is better, but it takes much of the enjoyment out of cooking. We use Boos.

dokelroth

Reaction score
I also agree. Boos makes a nice block.

spence

Reaction score
I think the end grain blocks if maintained will hold up better over the long haul. I've got a John Boos round Chinese block on the counter that just needs a coat of Mystery Oil a few times a year. There are other brands that cost less, but the Boos logo is good for the label conscious
wink.gif

We also keep a stack of several small plastic boards handy for quick tasks that can be thrown in the dishwasher. I have a dedicated larger plastic board for poultry.

-spence

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to love good rock maple boards. now I have a whole bunch of cheap plastic ones, and I throw them out every 3 months or so. they are almost free, and that is by far the best way to control infections in the kitchen

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In the Mezszoic Era, my parents had a built in island with a cutting board surface. We cut anything and everything on that, chicken, pork, you name it. At most it got sponged later with warm water and dishwasher soap. Looking back, it was sort of like not using seatbelts, which we also did.

The kitchen has since been remodelled, with a new surface to the island, and potentially dangerous food is cut on a plastic board that goes in the dishwasher.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I used to love good rock maple boards. now I have a whole bunch of cheap plastic ones, and I throw them out every 3 months or so. they are almost free, and that is by far the best way to control infections in the kitchen
+1 The wooden ones look great but aren't practical except for presentation.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
The wooden ones look great but aren't practical except for presentation.

I find wood superior in every way except one: they are harder to disinfect. But this is only an issue with pork, poultry, and shellfish.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I know that in some ways plastic is better, but it takes much of the enjoyment out of cooking.

Yes, but so does salmonella. We use wood for veggies and plastic for meats.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of cutting boards made from olive wood when I was in Italy. They've held up very nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics