• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BigPoppa

Reaction score
Anyone have the black chromexel semi dress? I'm wondering how they look after some use. Have seen some criticism of that leather wrt creasing and dye rubbing off.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had cxl and cannot understand its popularity. There are many other black leathers that will not wrinkle like hell and be, well, too soft. The black dress, the black smooth, black buffalo, black french calf - all better options imo. CXL looks seductive when new; it looks old really fast, and not in a good way. The tanning process seems to make it too wrinkly and too pliable imo. But some continue to love it.

If you see the dress leathers with patina, they simply **** on cxl....

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What sort of socks do you wear with your semi dress? Guess I need to decide now before I buy because it affects the fit so much.

Thicker socks. To me the stock semi-dress last is fairly wide and forgiving tho... I can wear with thinner socks too and it's not a big deal.

BigPoppa

Reaction score
I have to take into account the price different + wait time for custom ordering rather than getting the ones at Amazon 25% off.

These would be worn with jeans and chinos, button downs, and sometimes a sportcoat. My style is described perfectly by the words "semi-dress." Will be used for travel, but mostly the "wandering around a foreign city on foot all day" travel and not the "bushwhacking through ancient ruins" travel.

nateners

Reaction score
So I just ordered my first White's and here's the breakdown. Thanks for all the info you guys provide. Now the waiting begins.

• Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Brown Dress
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Dress
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Dress
  • Leather Liner: Cream
  • Lace Design: Plain Toe
  • Pull Loops: No Thanks
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
  • Toe Cap: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply - NO Toe Cap
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: All Nickle Eyes
  • Height: 8"
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: Standard
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram 700
  • Size - Length: 8
  • Size - Width: D (medium)

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Right on. BHs with brown dress seems to be a rare bird. I think it will look very cool. Look forward to some pictures when they arrive.

spurs61

Reaction score
I agree with linafelt, nateners. Your brown dress BHs are going to be very nice. I think I've only seen one pic of a brown dress BH and I liked how they looked a lot.

ElChingon7

Reaction score
Added a 4th pair. Just a few days over 4 weeks from order to door. I was nervous about the color, but it turned out just like I was hoping. Compared to the brown smooth and black, these are much softer. I'll have them broken in by the weekend ;)

Custom White's Smoke Jumper:
SKU: 400VLTT
Last: Standard
Toe Vamp Leather: Classic Brown
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Classic Brown
Height: 10"
Counter Leather: Classic Brown
Leather Liner: Cream
Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
Toe Cap Leather Color: Classic Brown
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Edge: Natural
Sole: Vibram 430
Lace Design: Plain Toe

The rest of the crew:

NNNN

Reaction score
Just to clarify the nomenclature, are your other pairs Brown and Black Smooth, or Brown and Black Dress? The Semidress look like Brown Dress, which is notoriously stiff. No idea what the other two pairs are from the picture. The Smooth leathers are very thick, but I'm pretty sure they're also quite soft. Is that not the case? Brown Smooth is more of a reddish, chestnut kind of brown, but the two blacks are difficult to distinguish in photos.

ElChingon7

Reaction score

Just to clarify the nomenclature, are your other pairs Brown and Black Smooth, or Brown and Black Dress? The Semidress look like Brown Dress, which is notoriously stiff. No idea what the other two pairs are from the picture. The Smooth leathers are very thick, but I'm pretty sure they're also quite soft. Is that not the case? Brown Smooth is more of a reddish, chestnut kind of brown, but the two blacks are difficult to distinguish in photos.

From left to right. Semi dress in brown smooth - leather darkened with Obenhaufs Bounty Hunter in brown dress smoke jumper in black smooth Brown smooth is definitely thick, and when lined feel like armor. Its breaking in nicely, but i wouldn't say its soft.

NNNN

Reaction score
From left to right.

Semi dress in brown smooth - leather darkened with Obenhaufs
Bounty Hunter in brown dress
smoke jumper in black smooth

Brown smooth is definitely thick, and when lined feel like armor. Its breaking in nicely, but i wouldn't say its soft.
Thanks for the info. Might be the first pair of brown smooth semi dress I've seen. Cool.

spurs61

Reaction score
From left to right.

Semi dress in brown smooth - leather darkened with Obenhaufs
Bounty Hunter in brown dress
smoke jumper in black smooth

Brown smooth is definitely thick, and when lined feel like armor. Its breaking in nicely, but i wouldn't say its soft.

BigPoppa

Reaction score
Got the black chromexel I'd ordered through amazon. They both have a pronounced crease diagonally across the tongue as they were folded over the wrong way. Probably not visible with the laces in, bugs me nonetheless.

BigPoppa

Reaction score
Got the black chromexel I'd ordered through amazon. They both have a pronounced crease diagonally across the tongue as they were folded over the wrong way. Probably not visible with the laces in, bugs me nonetheless.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunysk