• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jrosenthal

Reaction score

Damn those look fantastic. I have a similar pair in black cherry water buffalo on the way, no toe cap, natural trim. Can't wait now. Should be similar to this:

Have baker's shave down the block heel before they leave the store. I had the luxury of
seeing them before and that underbite was a deal breaker. Baker's got them spot on.

James

LeftysRock

Reaction score
Incredible boots Leftys
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Are they lined? How much did you wear them during that year? The shark leather looks like it doesn't crease at all - very nice!

i probably wore them 30 - 40 times during the cooler months. just getting back into them now. the leather does not show any crease at all - it is very stiff. i do use wooden shoe trees so i think that helps. here's the build:

Black Shark
Standard last
Black eyelets with hooks
Black liner - cut off top
Black heal and edges
Medallion toe cap
Standard Cuban heel
Size 9.5 D
No pull tab
Single stitching
Regular leather sole
Single mid-sole

jrosenthal

Reaction score

Damn those look fantastic. I have a similar pair in black cherry water buffalo on the way, no toe cap, natural trim. Can't wait now. Should be similar to this:

Hey meso, d you know if the oxfords shown here are black cherry water buffalo or are they dress burgundy? The water buffalo I am wearing have deep graining and creasing, (although not like Bull, looks more like a vintage well worn pebble grain from above like the old Florsheim or Hanover's had) those look smooth as silk, would love those as a dressy "brown".

James

jrosenthal

Reaction score
Ok, so although not a full work day yet in these oxfords I have done my morning commute in them (1/2 mile from parking to train, 1 hour on train, 1/2 mile from train to office), and they are spectacularly comfortable, supportive and require no break in whatsoever. I can actually run in these (had to sprint across the street to dodge traffic) whereas my SD's are a little more restricting.

My normal morning of working out the stiffness in my plantar faciatus and Achilles tendinitis are non existent, I am actually shocked and waiting for the pain, but I feel none. My back and legs feel better, my feet feel locked in and postured better (the step in above the heel is the key here, I thought it looked strange at first but totally get that it keeps the heel down, hence no slippage), these best any orthopedic shoe I have ever tried on (and far better looking for sure!).
Although I wouldn't wear them with the most formal of suits, they have no problem fitting in with slacks and sport coat, and I would even wear them with an chalk stripe or window pane suit without hesitation. If I were to want them dressier, just black stitch on the welt would take them to all black and would work with formal suits (who says formal shoes all have to be friggin pointy?? They weren't 100 years ago!)

As far as my original gripe about them being $100 more than the semi-dress, I couldn't give a **** now. The price difference doesn't matter when shoes are this comfortable. Plus, they are in the same price range as Alden's (just calf, not even shell, and hand welted as opposed to machine as Alden does), and beat them for comfort by a long margin.

I will be ordering a pair on brown or burgundy as my next purchase....shame White's doesn't do a real brogue toe in shell, would take just #8 horsehide if they offered it...that could justify selling my 975's.

James

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey meso, d you know if the oxfords shown here are black cherry water buffalo or are they dress burgundy? The water buffalo I am wearing have deep graining and creasing, (although not like Bull, looks more like a vintage well worn pebble grain from above like the old Florsheim or Hanover's had) those look smooth as silk, would love those as a dressy "brown".

Dunno, but can post pics of my black cherry water buffalo pair whenever they arrive. Should just be a week or two.

jrosenthal

Reaction score

Dunno, but can post pics of my black cherry water buffalo pair whenever they arrive. Should just be a week or two.

I'm excited to see them. The water buffalo is definitely a delicate fine leather, finer than calf (and softer). I put deep gouges in the backs over the heels today walking down a scaffold ladder with my arms full of gear, using my heels to find the next step down (couldn't look down)....luckily the black is dyed through so no light color showing through but arrgg, first day! I have to keep reminding myself that these are "work" shoes....but they are indeed now my dress shoes.

James

sault

Reaction score
EastWestApparel,

Did you happen to sell some soft-toe White's with a cap-toe? If so, any chance of an update from your customers?

Thanks

EastWestApparel

Reaction score
Hi Sault,

I've had made and sold a couple soft cap toe's yes. Haven't had any collapsing, shape changing complaints, plus I've always ensured they were lined. Not keen on hassling customers for pics etc..but I do get a lot of repeat custom so if I do hear back from any I will try for pics and post them up. Must post up pics of some of the random builds I've had done soon also.

Cheers.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find myself in the market for a pair of brown boots, and I wonder if anyone has pics of Semi-Dress with brown oil tan (aka brown smooth), either new or with some wear. There are lots of brown dress, and quite a few British tan and CXL, but very few oil tan on the SD as far as I can tell.

wolfyb

Reaction score
Anyone got a line on the White's wait time?

Just finally pulled the trigger on some bison Bounty Hunters! Two tone. Think it'll be a fantastic build.

wolfyb

Reaction score
Yeah, hoping maybe less since we're hitting the end of fire season.

Hey! The pics up on your site of the samples were super helpful.

I've combed through this entire thread while I was saving up for em and deciding my build, definitely relate now to the agonizing wait.

broken_oracle

Reaction score
I'm at the two week point since placing my order with Baker's... and yes the wait is hard. Current old Chippewa work boots are falling apart on my feet - sole split in two places, seam between vamp & upper is ripped on the outside of my right foot - a new pair of White's will be mighty welcome to arrive early. And @sault these will be soft toe (non-celastic) with a plain toe cap, unlined 'brown distressed' leather on a #38 swing last. Curious to see how that toe may evolve over time.

wolfyb

Reaction score
I'm hoping on a four week wait or so. I feel ya on that, my RW 877's are super comfy but need resoling really badly, the faster they arrive the better!

That sounds like it'll be a nice build. Supposed to be a great last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads