• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s one of White’s “almost” perfect pair of boots.
You don’t wear your boots in summer?😂

I live in the south and work in tech so WFH gave me few opportunities to wear boots. In addition, I have both some newer boots that I'm breaking in or older boots that I havent worn in a while that I dusting off so I do believe that they were not yet worn this year.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you - I've been told I have high arches but I had no real point of comparison beyond that. Earlier this year I got the Whites Cykel - I would say the break-in period was probably like an hour if that. The arch support felt like a pair of running sneakers, barely noticeable.

Literally just to "beta-test" the 55-last, I ordered the Bakers Eliminator boot on BF. This one I'd say the break-in was almost zero. The arch support is better on this than the cykel but I definitely wouldn't mind more.

I was really considering the Freedom since I wanted a harness boot with more arch but you had me reconsidering with those others. Are those supposed to be way more? I really don't like all that lacing...

I guess as a follow-up, with the increased arch support do you ever need to start dropping length or you stay the same size?
I highly recommend talking to Kyle Baker of Baker Shoes. I buy White’s boots from him.
He will make sure you get the perfect fitting boots.
I needed extra arch support plus in step adjustment.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the south and work in tech so WFH gave me few opportunities to wear boots. In addition, I have both some newer boots that I'm breaking in or older boots that I havent worn in a while that I dusting off so I do believe that they were not yet worn this year.
I work in tech Industry as well, Software Development specifically.
I wear White’s boots with business casual 😂

jmiller123

Reaction score
F7512509-455A-479C-B356-E012408140D8.jpeg
3373F14E-6C52-405D-9230-CE1532D2358E.jpeg

So I had gotten a pair of stitch down cruisers a few weeks ago, and ultimately ended up returning them as the overall shape was more chunky than I thought it would be. I just received a pair of semi dress in brown cxl and really like them. The only thing I noticed was the back heel is uneven, with the left boot being perhaps 1/4” higher at the midpoint. Is this just a common happening with handmade boots, or something to be concerned about?

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine the leather making up the heel is probably just "smooshed," to use the common vernacular, making it seem taller? Hard to tell from photos. Also, is that their brown dress leather? It's one of their finest offering imo

jmiller123

Reaction score
I imagine the leather making up the heel is probably just "smooshed," to use the common vernacular, making it seem taller? Hard to tell from photos. Also, is that their brown dress leather? It's one of their finest offering imo
Hmm interesting! Hope it will even out over time. Yes, I just double checked the box and it is brown dress leather, not cxl. It really is a nice leather

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Yep, looks like the top of the heel block on the left boot is just sort of pushed in/up a bit. Over time this is going to happen even more extensively on both boots and it will even out and you'll never even notice.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my first pair of whites boots. I'm leaning toward original smoke jumpers. Any thoughts on these for serious winter duty in Michigan? Snow/mud/slush/etc. I like the brown rough our but I don't have an rough out boots and not sure how well this does in foul weather? Any thoughts or advise?
Lifetime Northern lower Michigan resident. Check out the silicone Red Dog insulated whites boots. I’m out in the woods and trails most of the winter. If I’m moving hard, the normal smoke jumpers suffice. Otherwise I’m in the insulated ones. Use them in my unheated shop also. They definitely kick ass.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Hoping to get sizing advice before the baker's sale ends tonight.

Is 55 last generally 0.5 size down from brannock? I'm 10D/E on the brannock (heel to ball) and size 8.5E in the 4811 last fits me well but but my pinky and 4th toes graze the sides of the boots. I'm not sure whether I should go 8.5EE (heel cup too big?) or 9E (too long)?

Bakers sized me at 8E/8EE about 2 years ago and the boots have broken in to fit wrong, the arch placements fit too close to the outside of my heels.

Is the 55 last comparatively slightly wider in the toe box than the 4811? If yes, than an 8.5E (same size as my 4811 last) should work. If both lasts are about the same, then I have to decide between 8.5EE and 9E - which one? Also, I can't modify the last for the stitchdown boots it's off the shelf sizing only.

Edit - I'm being told it's half down from brannock. So theoretically my size is 9.5E. Damn that's crazy...

Last edited:

Abe_Room

Reaction score

Edit - I'm being told it's half down from brannock. So theoretically my size is 9.5E. Damn that's crazy...
I'm an 11 on the brannock (10 7/8 inches long), and got 9.5eeee boots. I have half an inch to an inch of space in front of my toes depending on the day.

If you're a 10, 9.5 may be YUGE.Talk to kyle.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Hoping to get sizing advice before the baker's sale ends tonight.

Is 55 last generally 0.5 size down from brannock? I'm 10D/E on the brannock (heel to ball) and size 8.5E in the 4811 last fits me well but but my pinky and 4th toes graze the sides of the boots. I'm not sure whether I should go 8.5EE (heel cup too big?) or 9E (too long)?

Bakers sized me at 8E/8EE about 2 years ago and the boots have broken in to fit wrong, the arch placements fit too close to the outside of my heels.

Is the 55 last comparatively slightly wider in the toe box than the 4811? If yes, than an 8.5E (same size as my 4811 last) should work. If both lasts are about the same, then I have to decide between 8.5EE and 9E - which one? Also, I can't modify the last for the stitchdown boots it's off the shelf sizing only.

Now I don't own any 4811's but from what I remember reading, they basically fit the same as the 55 except the 4811's toe box is both taller and slightly narrower, so the same size may actually work for you. Probably someone else who owns both could confirm or deny.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Now I don't own any 4811's but from what I remember reading, they basically fit the same as the 55 except the 4811's toe box is both taller and slightly narrower, so the same size may actually work for you. Probably someone else who owns both could confirm or deny.

This is my recollection as well about the 2 lasts.

My concern is arch position and length. 8EE basically sits on the edge of my heel and I have just barely enough clearance for my toes (still sufficient). This makes me think going up a whole size in length makes sense and to take it down a width since I don't want too much volume. So 9E is what I'm landing on but just want to confirm with the group here first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads