• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Can I make a request for some pics of people's MP boots? I feel like they've been underrepresented as of late :)

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I make a request for some pics of people's MP boots? I feel like they've been underrepresented as of late :)
Burgundy HH MPs, as requested
20211019_090936.jpg

20211019_091000.jpg

Luscombe

Reaction score
When I get home tonight, I will take photos of my MP's, BH's 5050, and SD's 55 to show the profile differences.
I am very impressed with the look and fit of the BH 5050 build. The toe profile is tapered and does not have the bulbous look of the 55 last. I purposely did not have a celastic toe.

Luscombe

Reaction score
When it comes time, I'm definitely getting my MPs rebuilt on the 5050 last. Those look fantastic.
Thanks for the compliment and I agree, the BH on the 5050 last look really great. I am wearing them today and will get some time in them this week. The leather is pretty stiff right now. They definitely fit as well as my MP's but these have some arch support. :)

I need to send in the MP's to fix some hooks that are pulling out. I hate the danite soles so those should be replaced too. At that point, I might as well have them rebuilt on the 5050 last since these BH's feel so good.
I think I will shoot Kyle an email and see exactly what they will have to replace. The MP's currently fit me perfectly and I do not want to mess that up. But, the appeal of an arch support is another thing. Stay tuned.....

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
5050 horsehide MPs on a Berlin playground today. Brought them as my only footwear on this week-long trip, and they’re doing great.

6C20796B-6991-46AF-B8B7-01FA087A7542.jpeg

Think I’ll order another pair this BF. Trying to make up my mind on leather; probably something black or the distressed RO I inquired about a few days ago. Also like the look of olive waxed flesh, but it might be too niche for my very small collection.

Percivilla

Reaction score
5050 horsehide MPs on a Berlin playground today. Brought them as my only footwear on this week-long trip, and they’re doing great.

View attachment 1688524

Think I’ll order another pair this BF. Trying to make up my mind on leather; probably something black or the distressed RO I inquired about a few days ago. Also like the look of olive waxed flesh, but it might be too niche for my very small collection.

Those look fantastic, love the look of that leather!

I'm definitely keeping an eye on whether whites offers the horsehide for no charge again...

Percivilla

Reaction score
Another very strange and specific question for those that own MP and 55 lasted boots:

I have really thick big toes, like gigantic. On my MP's, even though the length is alright, they press down on the tops of my big toes because the last is so sleek. Do 55's have more vertical room in the toe box or should I be looking at the 4811?

imwalker

Reaction score
Another very strange and specific question for those that own MP and 55 lasted boots:

I have really thick big toes, like gigantic. On my MP's, even though the length is alright, they press down on the tops of my big toes because the last is so sleek. Do 55's have more vertical room in the toe box or should I be looking at the 4811?

The 55/SD last definitely has more vertical room in the ball and the toebox. I initially ordered my MPs on the MP last, but they had a minor build issue that required a rebuild, and because of that ball/toe pressure I decided to switch to the 55 last - you could see the result a few posts back. It was also recommended that I go half a size up for this change, so make sure to check with Kyle or whoever is doing your sizing recommendations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4811 is even more generous though.

Percivilla

Reaction score
The 55/SD last definitely has more vertical room in the ball and the toebox. I initially ordered my MPs on the MP last, but they had a minor build issue that required a rebuild, and because of that ball/toe pressure I decided to switch to the 55 last - you could see the result a few posts back. It was also recommended that I go half a size up for this change, so make sure to check with Kyle or whoever is doing your sizing recommendations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4811 is even more generous though.

Thanks for the info!

Absolutely, I've worked out sizing with Kyle. My MP's are great for overall volume but tighter in the toe box than I'd like. We arrived at 13c for the 55 last. Since the 55 seems to run a half size shorter, the idea was to keep the volume the same but gain a bit of length.

wordfool

Reaction score

Yes... the 55 last's toe shape is virtually the same as the MP from above (IMO) but it is slightly taller. Not Iron Ranger or Viberg 310 height, but definitely more vertical space than the MP. I think people consider the MP more svelte mainly because of that lower height rather than the actual shape. The 55 actually has a pretty sleek toe overall IMO.

I posted a comparison pic a few thousand (!) posts ago: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/custom-whites-boots-thoughts.219173/post-10630323

Edit: reposting the key image from that older post -- MP (celastic toe) size 10C on the left vs SD (celastic toe) size 10.5C on the right

PXL_20210306_201136559.jpg

Last edited:

Percivilla

Reaction score
Yes... the 55 last's toe shape is virtually the same as the MP from above (IMO) but it is slightly taller. Not Iron Ranger or Viberg 310 height, but definitely more vertical space than the MP. I think people consider the MP more svelte mainly because of that lower height rather than the actual shape. The 55 actually has a pretty sleek toe overall IMO.

I posted a comparison pic a few thousand (!) posts ago: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/custom-whites-boots-thoughts.219173/post-10630323

Edit: reposting the key image from that older post -- MP (celastic toe) size 10C on the left vs SD (celastic toe) size 10.5C on the right

View attachment 1688636

Thank you so much for that! That's exactly the kind of comparison I was looking for. The 55 definitely looks just that little bit more ergonomic.

Percivilla

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads