• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronco68

Reaction score
I think the original poster was referring to the San Juan islands specifically. I've never taken a car and have only gone by seaplane from Seattle into Friday Harbor. Whether a car is advisable depends on what the plan is once you hit the ground on the islands

But yes, the route described is somewhere in the 12ish hours of driving range which would easily fit into a two week trip.

The plan currently is 3-4 days making the loop followed by 10-12 days on the San Juans, which is why I was asking about a rental car on the islands.

@montanamike today someone also suggested Saturna Island. Have you been? Since it’s just across the border into CA, is it possible to get there in these days of lingering Covid?

Thanks,

Daniel

js0930

Reaction score
The plan currently is 3-4 days making the loop followed by 10-12 days on the San Juans, which is why I was asking about a rental car on the islands.

@montanamike today someone also suggested Saturna Island. Have you been? Since it’s just across the border into CA, is it possible to get there in these days of lingering Covid?

Thanks,

Daniel

You can’t cross the border for tourism currently. Full stop.

montanamike

Reaction score

Thanks,

Daniel
Ive not been there... As far as I know, you cant even get to Point Roberts (connected to Canada by land) without going by boat currently. My visits to the San Juans have been limited to morning flights up, late afternoon flights back so I am of limited help at best other than to say splashing down on a float plane in Friday Harbor is a very cool experience.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to take a photo of my elk tan (?) bounty hunter:
tempImageHedjo1.png

Still very unsure about the leather. The tongue is noticeably thinner on these than on my black elk tan SD's, but I don't know if that means anything. The SD's are also ~15 grams heavier per boot but that could be the 430 vs commando half-sole. Kyle has of course offered to remake them but I don't want to trouble them if I'm wrong.
Side note, the brown is remarkably close to the black.

Here's the SD's for reference:
tempImageCnxLI9.png

theofficialhung

Reaction score
has it been determined if Elk Tan is teacore similar brown dress?

Kyle has told me that black elk tan is not teacore. It's the main reason I chose black cxl for one of my builds over elk.

Edit: the black leather in Chirkelnel's bounty hunters clearly has a brown core. I would be interested to know if these are really black elk tan.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to take a photo of my elk tan (?) bounty hunter:
View attachment 1589780
Still very unsure about the leather. The tongue is noticeably thinner on these than on my black elk tan SD's, but I don't know if that means anything. The SD's are also ~15 grams heavier per boot but that could be the 430 vs commando half-sole. Kyle has of course offered to remake them but I don't want to trouble them if I'm wrong.
Side note, the brown is remarkably close to the black.

Here's the SD's for reference: View attachment 1589781
Pictures of your boots convinced me I could pull off BHs or SDs as dress boots and don't need any other brand of dress shoes/boots!!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Kyle has told me that black elk tan is not teacore. It's the main reason I chose black cxl for one of my builds over elk.

Edit: the black leather in Chirkelnel's bounty hunters clearly has a brown core. I would be interested to know if these are really black elk tan.

That's brown elk tan (or possibly the thinner brown dress), not black.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score

Like @iamntbatman said, the top boot (BH) is brown and the bottom boot (SD) is black. Bottom boot is definitely black elk tan, it’s the new boot on top that I’m not sure if it’s brown dress or brown elk tan.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Chrikelnel a couple of questions.
What is the toe on BHs called?
What kind of laces are those?
Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads