• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Interesting, I was wondering what a veg tan captoe Oxford looks like. Can't tell if these have a regular heel or a vibram wedge.

Looks like a standard heel and probably Vibram half comp sole.
1617472632390.png

montanamike

Reaction score
I’ll post some pictures tomorrow, though I was talking with Kyle about it and he doesn’t think there’s a way to tell visually. I’m just comparing them to the elk tan pair I got last month, but I’ve never handled brown dress so I don’t know for sure.
Here is brown elk tan (kiltie) and brown dress boot. In this extremely small sample size the elk tan is slightly more fuzzy, hairy or whichever word you may wish to use. The elk tan does feel a bit heavier but not enough to tell the difference without the other present.

Again, tiny sample size on boots from a somewhat but not exactly the same time frame.

Attachments

• 20210403_125627.jpg
    20210403_125627.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210403_125647.jpg
    20210403_125647.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 98

Bronco68

Reaction score
Somewhat Boot Related:

I have to take a 2-week vacation / R&R trip and someone recommended the San Juan Islands in the PNW. They said it was the best place & most relaxing place they’ve ever been. I was planning to fly into Portland, then drive to Eugene to get fitted at Baker’s

Since they are located near several of you, can you please provide some input / your experiences / recommendations on which islands to visit, places to stay, restaurants, things to do, etc.

Thank you for any assistance.

Daniel

montanamike

Reaction score
Somewhat Boot Related:

I have to take a 2-week vacation / R&R trip and someone recommended the San Juan Islands in the PNW. They said it was the best place & most relaxing place they’ve ever been. I was planning to fly into Portland, then drive to Eugene to get fitted at Baker’s

Since they are located near several of you, can you please provide some input / your experiences / recommendations on which islands to visit, places to stay, restaurants, things to do, etc.

Thank you for any assistance.

Daniel
The San Juan's are the real deal beauty wise. Access can be troublesome with ferries often being full during summer season. I've been to Friday Harbor several times on float planes that take off from a lake near downtown Seattle. It is superb on a nice day. Kenmore Air runs the planes.

Bronco68

Reaction score
The San Juan's are the real deal beauty wise. Access can be troublesome with ferries often being full during summer season. I've been to Friday Harbor several times on float planes that take off from a lake near downtown Seattle. It is superb on a nice day. Kenmore Air runs the planes.

I appreciate your feedback. I noticed by plane it’s roughly a 50-60 minute flight. How long does the ferry take? I will be traveling in May. I will be traveling solo, so is there any additional advice you would give?

montanamike

Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback. I noticed by plane it’s roughly a 50-60 minute flight. How long does the ferry take? I will be traveling in May. I will be traveling solo, so is there any additional advice you would give?
Its around the same if I recall correctly but it's out of Anacortes instead of Seattle. My experience is much greater on the Olympic Peninsula. Either the ferry or float plane are quintessential PNW experience. My main point would be to flesh out the island part of the plan instead of swinging it as sitting in ferry parking for a day waiting for a ferry with open spots would be a real drag. I've not used the reservation system but do look into it if that is how you choose to go.

Whites is a 4 hour drive east from Seattle and parts of the drive are pretty. If I wanted to work that in I'd head up the Columbia Gorge (stopping at multnomah falls) to Spokane and travel to Seattle from Spokane via I90. While there, I'd visit a couple of the other makers in town as they are all pretty close and seeing the process is really cool. Wesco is a modest drive out of Portland also.

Bronco68

Reaction score
Its around the same if I recall correctly but it's out of Anacortes instead of Seattle. My experience is much greater on the Olympic Peninsula. Either the ferry or float plane are quintessential PNW experience. My main point would be to flesh out the island part of the plan instead of swinging it as sitting in ferry parking for a day waiting for a ferry with open spots would be a real drag. I've not used the reservation system but do look into it if that is how you choose to go.

Whites is a 4 hour drive east from Seattle and parts of the drive are pretty. If I wanted to work that in I'd head up the Columbia Gorge (stopping at multnomah falls) to Spokane and travel to Seattle from Spokane via I90. While there, I'd visit a couple of the other makers in town as they are all pretty close and seeing the process is really cool. Wesco is a modest drive out of Portland also.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Is a rental car necessary?
Should I stay on one island and visit the others?
Which island is the best to stay on?

Last edited:

theofficialhung

Reaction score
I feel like I owe you guys some pics. Here are the 7" distressed roughout BHs. They're supposed to be on a standard heel (these are 1/4 lowered) so someone goofed up - now asking Baker to see what turnaround time will look like to get the heel mod. Hopefully not too long, these are without question the best fitting boots I have ever experienced. Kyle put me on a modified last 8EE forefoot/8E heel. There was pain on the upper instep of my left foot for the first 2-3 hours and that has completely away - the boots feel custom made for my feet there is virtually no break in time. I don't want to take them off even when coming home, that's a first for me. Also the welt stitching surprised me, it's pretty nice to my eye and nothing really wonky that stands out. Distressed RO leather feels surprisingly luxurious and is very thick. This is a high quality boot, I wish they got it right on the heel though.

20210404_095917.jpg

20210404_100054.jpg

20210404_100025.jpg

20210404_144402.jpg

Edit - bonus shot with jeans hiked up so can see the entire shaft lol

20210404_185913.jpg

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I owe you guys some pics. Here are the 7" distressed roughout BHs. They're supposed to be on a standard heel (these are 1/4 lowered) so someone goofed up - now asking Baker to see what turnaround time will look like to get the heel mod. Hopefully not too long, these are without question the best fitting boots I have ever experienced. Kyle put me on a modified last 8EE forefoot/8E heel. There was pain on the upper instep of my left foot for the first 2-3 hours and that has completely away - the boots feel custom made for my feet there is virtually no break in time. I don't want to take them off even when coming home, that's a first for me. Also the welt stitching surprised me, it's pretty nice to my eye and nothing really wonky that stands out. Distressed RO leather feels surprisingly luxurious and is very thick. This is a high quality boot, I wish they got it right on the heel though.

View attachment 1587286
View attachment 1587288
View attachment 1587289

Edit - bonus shot with jeans hiked up so can see the entire shaft lol

View attachment 1587294
Indeed a high quality boot!
Enjoy!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Is a rental car necessary?
Should I stay on one island and visit the others?
Which island is the best to stay on?
Portland, to Eugene to Spokane to Seattle to the Ferry...that's a **** load of driving and yes you will want a rental car.

montanamike

Reaction score
Portland, to Eugene to Spokane to Seattle to the Ferry...that's a **** load of driving and yes you will want a rental car.
I think the original poster was referring to the San Juan islands specifically. I've never taken a car and have only gone by seaplane from Seattle into Friday Harbor. Whether a car is advisable depends on what the plan is once you hit the ground on the islands

But yes, the route described is somewhere in the 12ish hours of driving range which would easily fit into a two week trip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads