• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I am late to respond but these boots look sharp : ) I currently own AE boots and am waiting on White's. I noticed you mentioned you own Alden.
I have read that Alden is a level above Allen Edmonds but how do you compare White's to Alden and if you have to pick one would you rather pick White's or Alden?
Thanks

It’s different. Alden on a whole uses better materials but is less diverse than AE. They also follow a strict retail model and are a few price tiers above where AE is. AE has frequent sales, Alden never does. AE had more QC issues, but also does a much higher production volume. AE is more diverse in styles, Alden is very narrow and traditional.

Construction and materials are superior on White’s, Alden is a more refined and dressier look. You can expect more attention to detail from Aldens and better durability and versatility out of White’s. But I really wouldn’t compare them, kind of like when we discuss a hiking boot vs a dress boot.

That all said, would love to see a plain cap toe Steven’s in Brown Dress. I think it would give many of those Aldens a run for their money. @sambam what do you think?

js0930

Reaction score
Went into Bakers today. Decided to have them size me in person for my next pair. Great experience, can’t recommend them enough. Current pair is a 9.5, turns out I split the difference on my feet. Should be wearing a 9 on 1 and a 10 on the other. Placed an order for some Bounty Hunters and learned Whites is really behind right now - 10-14 weeks. I’m not worried about it - but figured I’d mention it for anyone that is.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Went into Bakers today. Decided to have them size me in person for my next pair. Great experience, can’t recommend them enough. Current pair is a 9.5, turns out I split the difference on my feet. Should be wearing a 9 on 1 and a 10 on the other. Placed an order for some Bounty Hunters and learned Whites is really behind right now - 10-14 weeks. I’m not worried about it - but figured I’d mention it for anyone that is.

That's good to know, it'll give me more time to hide what I just spent on the two pairs I just ordered from the wife

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I am late to respond but these boots look sharp : ) I currently own AE boots and am waiting on White's. I noticed you mentioned you own Alden.
I have read that Alden is a level above Allen Edmonds but how do you compare White's to Alden and if you have to pick one would you rather pick White's or Alden?
Thanks
I don't necessarily put Alden a level above AE to be honest. They are great boots, but AE has also been putting out great boots recently. More like Alden 1a and AE 1b. As for the the comparison to White's, I don't actually think they are comparable. White's are certainly more rugged and they definitely seem well made so far, though they are also a bit less refined.

Apples to oranges in my opinion.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s different. Alden on a whole uses better materials but is less diverse than AE. They also follow a strict retail model and are a few price tiers above where AE is. AE has frequent sales, Alden never does. AE had more QC issues, but also does a much higher production volume. AE is more diverse in styles, Alden is very narrow and traditional.

Construction and materials are superior on White’s, Alden is a more refined and dressier look. You can expect more attention to detail from Aldens and better durability and versatility out of White’s. But I really wouldn’t compare them, kind of like when we discuss a hiking boot vs a dress boot.

That all said, would love to see a plain cap toe Steven’s in Brown Dress. I think it would give many of those Aldens a run for their money. @sambam what do you think?
I think you pretty much nailed it... both Alden and White's gives you a top quality boot, made in the USA... I think you meant that the White's rolled welt construction is more rugged than Alden's GYW and I agree, but from a QC and aesthetic construction standpoint, I have to give the edge to Alden...

Alden is for dress and pure casual, White's is for work and rough casual. This is exemplified by the fact that Alden calls their 405 Indy a "work-boot"... perhaps it is the work-boot of the Alden line, but it is not a "work-boot" in the PNW sense.

Think of it this way... both are top notch, heritage bootmakers, but Alden represents an east coast sensibility, while White's is pure west coast. Sort of like the East Coast–West Coast hip hop rivalry of the mid-1990s. ;)

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily put Alden a level above AE to be honest.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

I believe Alden makes a better boot than AE.

I was disappointed when AE outsourced some of their production to the Dominican Republic.

But discussion and differences of opinion are what makes this group great.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was disappointed when AE outsourced some of their production to the Dominican Republic.

I would like to add my observation/experience.
Can't say anything about Alden because I don't own any but I have 10+ pairs of AE boots and they could be a steal
1) If you don't need arch support.
2) Buy them on sale or factory seconds.

For example, I have three pairs of AE Higgin Mills boots, one was on sale (and factory first) the other two pairs were F2s (one in black CXL for $157 and other in brown CXL for around $190, don't remember the exact price). I can't tell the difference between the factory firsts and factory seconds' quality.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you pretty much nailed it... both Alden and White's gives you a top quality boot, made in the USA... I think you meant that the White's rolled welt construction is more rugged than Alden's GYW and I agree, but from a QC and aesthetic construction standpoint, I have to give the edge to Alden...

Alden is for dress, White's is for work. This is exemplified by the fact that Alden calls their 405 Indy a "work-boot"... perhaps it is the work-boot of the Alden line, but it is not a "work-boot" in the PNW sense.

Think of it this way... both are top notch, heritage bootmakers, but Alden represents an east coast sensibility, while White's is pure west coast. Sort of like the East Coast–West Coast hip hop rivalry of the mid-1990s. ;)
How is arch support on Alden boots?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden is for dress, White's is for work. This is exemplified by the fact that Alden calls their 405 Indy a "work-boot"... perhaps it is the work-boot of the Alden line, but it is not a "work-boot" in the PNW sense.

I think Alden boots should be compared to White's Goodyear welted boots? Alden is Goodyear welted?
This collection

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And likewise, I would disagree as well. None of the AE GYW boots and shoes are made in the DR. The DR is used for production of handsewns, like Maritime boat shoes (which I own and love), and some other cheaper lines with glued construction, but not for their top range shoes and boots.

I would put up my new AE Hamiltons from the most recent trunk show up against any of my Alden boots and I own many from both brands.

IMG_5295.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And likewise, I would disagree as well. None of the AE GYW boots and shoes are made in the DR. The DR is used for production of handsewns, like Maritime boat shoes (which I own and love), and some other cheaper lines with glued construction, but not for their top range shoes and boots.

I would put up my new AE Hamiltons from the most recent trunk show up against any of my Alden boots and I own many from both brands.

View attachment 1530783
D@mn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shell? what color?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... I think you meant that the White's rolled welt construction is more rugged than Alden's GYW and I agree, but from a QC and aesthetic construction standpoint, I have to give the edge to Alden...

Alden is for dress and pure casual, White's is for work and rough casual. This is exemplified by the fact that Alden calls their 405 Indy a "work-boot"... perhaps it is the work-boot of the Alden line, but it is not a "work-boot" in the PNW sense.

No I meant what I said. White's is a rugged boot. An Apocalypse boot. You could actually do work in them. Alden, is a dress foot, a fashion book, and workday warrior. Your follow up statement indicates you also feel the same. Construction has little to do with it. I think a GYW White's will still stomp the tar off of any Alden. And sure, a rolled welt is much harder to dress up.

I think Alden boots should be compared to White's Goodyear welted boots? Alden is Goodyear welted?
This collection

See my thoughts above. I still don't think they are comparable. Many things are made similarly and yield much different results.

At the end of the day, Alden is simply and antiquated, geriatric fashion boot. White's is still basically just a work boot.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a GYW White's will still stomp the tar off of any Alden. .
High praise for White's Goodyear welted boots (and the Goodyear welted White's are $350-$400)!!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Construction and materials are superior on White’s,
Perhaps I misunderstood... what exactly then did you mean by the word "construction" in the sentence above?
The way the boot is actually built, or the quality of the aesthetic finish and overall QC, or something else entirely?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads