• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic I just took of the sole of my SJs. I've been wearing them almost every day since February. Pavement, concrete sidewalks, hardpack. They definitely won't last two years.
Honestly, I don't get the whole "softer than 100 lug sole" deal. These things aren't gel cushioned. If I poke my fingernail in a lug it seems just as hard as the black V100.
View attachment 1487298
Anecdotal evidence only, but when I stand on concrete, to me - subjectively - the Honey Vibram feels softer (and hence more comfortable) than the black.

But there are several blacks... 100, 100F, 100R, etc...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to send tracings and measurements to Baker but need to wear the 'boot' socks for that. Since I am investing in White's, I should probably up my 'socks' game too ( been wearing regular brands of socks from stores).
Any suggestions? please keep in mind I wear boots year-around.
Thank you

fushaw

Reaction score
I am going to send tracings and measurements to Baker but need to wear the 'boot' socks for that. Since I am investing in White's, I should probably up my 'socks' game too ( been wearing regular brands of socks from stores).
Thank you

Darn Tough or Stance have always been good for me. You can get cotton or wool (thick and thin) which covers pretty much all of my socking needs for the year.

klank74

Reaction score
Here is a pic I just took of the sole of my SJs. I've been wearing them almost every day since February. Pavement, concrete sidewalks, hardpack. They definitely won't last two years.
Honestly, I don't get the whole "softer than 100 lug sole" deal. These things aren't gel cushioned. If I poke my fingernail in a lug it seems just as hard as the black V100.
View attachment 1487298
Interesting. I already placed my order with the honey vibram. I’ll give them a shot and see how it goes. I’ll be alternating them with another pair of boots, so hopefully that helps extend their life. Oddly enough, I’m 320lbs, but usually pretty easy on the soles of my boots. I have a pair of thorogood moc toes right now that I’ve had for 2 1/2 years, and their not even worn smooth yet. I’ve been alternating them with some redwing 606’s, 3 years old, and they’re in even better shape.

klank74

Reaction score
Thank you

I wear darn tough hiking socks year round. I’ve had the same ones for about 4 years now and their just starting to get thin in the heel area. They’re not cheap, but they’ll replace them for free if you ever wear a hole through them.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darn Tough or Stance have always been good for me. You can get cotton or wool (thick and thin) which covers pretty much all of my socking needs for the year.

I wear darn tough hiking socks year round. I’ve had the same ones for about 4 years now and their just starting to get thin in the heel area. They’re not cheap, but they’ll replace them for free if you ever wear a hole through them.
Thank you, they have a ton of different socks on their website

How to choose? :) I will ordering BHs and smoke jumpers (may be packers later on).

Luscombe

Reaction score
Thank you, they have a ton of different socks on their website

How to choose? :) I will ordering BHs and smoke jumpers (may be packers later on).
I second Darn Tough socks. I am partial to their Merino wool line. They are pretty much all I wear anymore. I do have a few Bomba's Merino wool and a couple Smartwool. As the smart wool wear out, I replace with Darn Tough.
I am in the office most of the time and wear the socks year round. Some days boots and some days leather mocs or bluchers.

All my cotton socks and off brand have exited the building. I get that the Darn Tough are expensive but made in USA, lifetime guarantee and best life cycle value IMHO.
Yeah, drop $700 ++ on a pair of boots, what's another $25 for the best socks ever.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Darn Tough socks. I am partial to their Merino wool line. They are pretty much all I wear anymore. I do have a few Bomba's Merino wool and a couple Smartwool. As the smart wool wear out, I replace with Darn Tough.
I am in the office most of the time and wear the socks year round. Some days boots and some days leather mocs or bluchers.

All my cotton socks and off brand have exited the building. I get that the Darn Tough are expensive but made in USA, lifetime guarantee and best life cycle value IMHO.
Yeah, drop $700 ++ on a pair of boots, what's another $25 for the best socks ever.
You, Sir, have spoken like a true Chicagoan! I am looking at their Merino wool socks and even the Merino wool line have a big collection. My White's boots are going to be 8 inches tall, do I have to order socks of certain 'height'?
Thank you guys, for putting up with my 'newbie' questions.

wordfool

Reaction score
You, Sir, have spoken like a true Chicagoan! I am looking at their Merino wool socks and even the Merino wool line have a big collection. My White's boots are going to be 8 inches tall, do I have to order socks of certain 'height'?

Yeah, the Darn Tough range is stupidly complicated now. For 8" boots you might be able to get away with the "micro crew" height, but better would be the actual boot height socks. As for the cushioning, I generally buy the basic "hiker" medium and light cushion micro-crew varieties (for winter and summer), which have cushioning on the sole and heel, but not the top or shaft. For cooler weather I have some full cushion boot socks, too. Generally if the description is just "cushion" it means it's a regular medium cushion sock, otherwise it will specify "light" or "full". AFAIK there's very little difference between the Hike, Hunting and Work ranges, although the "steely" line does have additional cushioning around the toe (for steel-toe boots)

Last edited:

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence only, but when I stand on concrete, to me - subjectively - the Honey Vibram feels softer (and hence more comfortable) than the black.

But there are several blacks... 100, 100F, 100R, etc...

I find the Honey Vibrams to be much softer and springier than the black ones. However, I must admit that I’m comparing them to the 100 F fire rated soles that are on my standard configuration wildland fire fighting Smokejumper boots. The 100 F soles are built like rocks though. I’ve been wearing them almost every day for 3 1/2 years, and they are nowhere near needing resoling.

Luscombe

Reaction score
We lived in Wheaton from 1986-1990 and I did commute to downtown.
Madison, Wisconsin now

Sledge42

Reaction score

I... and my 21 pair of Darn Tough Socks concur!

?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads