• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dogman2377

Reaction score
I think you will be fine... the FC White's uses is thicker than the FC you would find in a pair of Alden dress shoes... dressier than White's standard leathers, but still pretty tough coming from a boot company and all...

Great advice and appreciated...as well as the link. Not used to quality in footwear I think and antsy to get them on

discomute

Reaction score
My "research" regarding FC seconds what LE though I'd probably get a proper leather soap. You won't need it every day, but in the event it get some muck on it that requires soap, you'll want it handy.

sambam

Reaction score
@sambam any update on the new hybrid 5050 last for the MP's?
We have two other last projects going right now as well. Still working on the 5050. Each small change usually takes a month to get the next prototype last in. Very slow process. Hopefully by April. Just checked and your boots are just getting finished up.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sambam any insights into a fully gusseted tongue being replaced on a pair of Bounty Hunters? Is it possible?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some quick and dirty shots of my Black Friday order boots. Everything looks good and stitching looks great overall. Wanted to black edges with these as I don’t see it that often on Whites compared to natural or brown edge finishes.
F41DF675-E2DB-45FC-8E1C-7840CE2AAF80.jpeg 66E7FBD8-BBF5-4F54-ABE6-D9D3443D931A.jpeg C55D70DF-E236-4D15-B0BA-86840CD96EF4.jpeg

miggyramone

Reaction score
Do the Main Street boots in cxl come lined and with a celastic toe? I called white's to ask and was kinda confused by their answer. They said the boots were not lined but are structured. How would this work without the vamp being lined?

discomute

Reaction score
Do the Main Street boots in cxl come lined and with a celastic toe? I called white's to ask and was kinda confused by their answer. They said the boots were not lined but are structured. How would this work without the vamp being lined?

My calf skin boots were lined with white. I asked for black and whites said "no, MS only white". I would guess CXL is the same.

Cellastic toe I wanted and got. Unsure if it is standard or optional.

Some quick and dirty shots of my Black Friday order boots. Everything looks good and stitching looks great overall. Wanted to black edges with these as I don’t see it that often on Whites compared to natural or brown edge finishes.
View attachment 1316934 View attachment 1316935 View attachment 1316937

Your selection looks great, imo, really suits the colour.

I am thinking I will get some brown oil tan with black edges.

My only issue is it really makes the white stitching pop (btw, anyone cares White's have said "no" no any other colour stitching on BH's) but I seem to alone in my allergy to white stitching with dark leather and edges.

Jpto

Reaction score

PNW bootmakers seem to line the vamp on all their boots by default. "Unlined" generally refers areas above the vamp being unlined.

dogman2377

Reaction score
My calf skin boots were lined with white. I asked for black and whites said "no, MS only white". I would guess CXL is the same.

Cellastic toe I wanted and got. Unsure if it is standard or optional.

Your selection looks great, imo, really suits the colour.

I am thinking I will get some brown oil tan with black edges.

My only issue is it really makes the white stitching pop (btw, anyone cares White's have said "no" no any other colour stitching on BH's) but I seem to alone in my allergy to white stitching with dark leather and edges.
Bakers (Kyle) allowed me to get the Technora black thread on my yet to get Black FC BH...for a charge. I did get black on midsole edge and believe the white thread would have looked "wonky" with all else murdered out.

discomute

Reaction score
PNW bootmakers seem to line the vamp on all their boots by default. "Unlined" generally refers areas above the vamp being unlined.

Looking into my Bounty Hunters, I was off the opinion from research here that Brown Oiltan was fully unlined. Kyle has told me that I was wrong. He confirmed what you have said above - everything is lined in the vamp and unlined only refers to upper.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
Looking into my Bounty Hunters, I was off the opinion from research here that Brown Oiltan was fully unlined. Kyle has told me that I was wrong. He confirmed what you have said above - everything is lined in the vamp and unlined only refers to upper.
I have a pair of White's NFPA spokejumpers without a lining in most of the vamp, what it appears they do is add pieces of leather onto the vamp where it is sewn to the shaft/heel counter, and the piece of leather extends roughly to the ball of the foot. It appears that it is there for welting. Without it, I think on unlined vamp boots there could be an air gap between the upper and the insole where the vamp gets cut and flared out underneath the rolled welt. I'm sure Sambam will chime in.

My Black Friday White's arrived. Basically a copy of Varnu's boots here: https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/7yx44x/first_impressions_whites_natural_chromexcel/

Size: 12 E with an open instep
Height: 6"
Uppers: Natural Chromexcel
All brass eyelets
Cut top
No lining
No back stay
No logo stamp (I asked for a logo stamp on the inside sock liner)
Single oak leather sole
Brown edges
No celastic toe
Two rows of stitching on the welt
Half-cut gusset tongue

My Dad was obsessed with a pair of Natural CXL LTT he saw on Instagram in October, and immediately bought a pair, his have a celastic toe, rubber sole, speedhooks, full gusset tongue, 11.5 EE, otherwise the same boot. I told him I'd order one to match.

The specs are exactly as I ordered them. The only real issue I can find is the heel counters were sewn on unevenly; on the inside of the boots, the left boot's heel counter is ahead of the right boot's heel counter by 3/4" inch, on the outside of the boots, the right boot's heel counter is 3/4" inch ahead of the left boot. I do prefer the clicking of the shaft on the right over the left, minor issue.

Construction of lace-to-toe models is interesting. The "shaft" actually extends the entire length of the boot, from heel to toe, and presumably is stitched to the bottom of the insole when White's handwelts them. They are in two seperate pieces, and they get sewn together with some x-stitching (I would guess its the same stitch that is used to close the boot before the backstay gets sewn on, but the other side of the stitch). On lace-to-toe models, the soft line you may sometimes notice on the vamps of the boot right down the center of it are where the two sides of the shafts are joined together. The vamp then gets added on top, backstay, and then heel counter.

IMG_20200114_154758.jpg

IMG_20200114_154909.jpg
IMG_20200114_155625.jpg
IMG_20200114_154751.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads