• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really care to argue about if vibergs are top notch work boots or not.. I like them for casual use myself. I can only tell the forum what I heard rumblings of with viberg. “They use foam and not veg tanned leather” for the footbed or whatever you would call it. I appreciate vibergs. I hope I’m wrong about the foam thing but I don’t know that’s why I bring it up here. I’m sure somebody knows. I don’t think foam would be good for work if that’s true.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I don’t really care to argue about if vibergs are top notch work boots or not.. I like them for casual use myself. I can only tell the forum what I heard rumblings of with viberg. “They use foam and not veg tanned leather” for the footbed or whatever you would call it. I appreciate vibergs. I hope I’m wrong about the foam thing but I don’t know that’s why I bring it up here. I’m sure somebody knows. I don’t think foam would be good for work if that’s true.
I think there were a whole bunch of misunderstandings on this one at the time.

Viberg used to use foam for the filler on their boots; not the footbed, or the midsole, or anything like that. Basically, where a lot of companies use cork, and some bespoke makers use felt, and many PNW makers use a rubber pad, Viberg used foam. I imagine foam is a lot more resistant to rotting than cork is, which would have been important back when Viberg predominantly made logging boots. Eventually the practice found it's way over into their fashion line.

@LA Guy himself even posted some pictures a few years back of some Viberg's being made, and you can see where the foam insert is used in one of the pics; between the leather insole and the leather midsole. It's important to have something there to fill the gap between the insole and midsole, and to prevent sqeaking.

For what it's worth, Viberg did actually switch to using cork in place of the foam, but not for 'quality' reasons; cork was simply considered more environmentally friendly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there were a whole bunch of misunderstandings on this one at the time.

Viberg used to use foam for the filler on their boots; not the footbed, or the midsole, or anything like that. Basically, where a lot of companies use cork, and some bespoke makers use felt, and many PNW makers use a rubber pad, Viberg used foam. I imagine foam is a lot more resistant to rotting than cork is, which would have been important back when Viberg predominantly made logging boots. Eventually the practice found it's way over into their fashion line.

@LA Guy himself even posted some pictures a few years back of some Viberg's being made, and you can see where the foam insert is used in one of the pics; between the leather insole and the leather midsole. It's important to have something there to fill the gap between the insole and midsole, and to prevent sqeaking.

For what it's worth, Viberg did actually switch to using cork in place of the foam, but not for 'quality' reasons; cork was simply considered more environmentally friendly.
Man, that was a long time ago now. I still have and wear those. The Viberg 110 last is so neutrsl and comfortable.

fwiw, foam or foam filler has nearly no effect on the cost of the boot. It's literally cents. At the higher end, the main material costs are in the leather, and to a lesser extent, the trims and sole, unless you use something crazy like gold accents.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've spent upwards of 12 hours in each of Nicks, White's, and Vibergs, on my feet, and sometimes doing things like digging fireline, and can say, unequivocally, that it's the design and the fit that matter, and the amount of break-in. Also, after that long, none of them are comfortable. What you want after that much time in them is something lightweight and flexible, like Vans slip ons.

If you are looking for just comfort, you want something with a more supply upper. Kudu from C.F. Stead is always a winner:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you want after that much time in them is something lightweight and flexible, like Vans slip ons.
That's a joke, right?
🤣

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a site like Styleform, we focus - not surprisingly - on the style and fashion lines, but this is a good reminder that Viberg's roots are those of a workboat company, and if you can get past the $800 slippers, the Viberg name on a work boot still means top quality...

Correct me if I am wrong but Viberg's doesn't offer the same arch support as 55, 690 etc. lasts?

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spent upwards of 12 hours in each of Nicks, White's, and Vibergs, on my feet, and sometimes doing things like digging fireline, and can say, unequivocally, that it's the design and the fit that matter, and the amount of break-in. Also, after that long, none of them are comfortable. What you want after that much time in them is something lightweight and flexible, like Vans slip ons.

If you are looking for just comfort, you want something with a more supply upper. Kudu from C.F. Stead is always a winner:
I’m married to my one pair of brass boot grant stones because of the comfort. They are my most comfortable boot so I guess that makes them my favorite. I’m trying to find a service boot that fits as good as they do but I haven’t yet. Posted a pic of them in the GS thread last night

Jimk4003

Reaction score
That's a joke, right?
🤣
It's the old firefighter's motto; “100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress”.

Even then, there does at least now seem to be an increasing number of people who have recognised that strapping on six pounds of boot that haven't seen any design advancements since the 1940's isn't always the most comfortable way to earn a living.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a joke, right?
🤣
Nope. I used to do a lot of mountaineering, backcountry hiking, etc... in addition to outdoor work, and at the end of the day, there is nothing quite as nice as getting out of your constrictive boots and into Vans, which are also my go tos for summer - white on white slip ons for life:
Putting on your boots after a full day on your feet and usually a pack on your back is murder.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimk4003 @LA Guy
Not to be a stickler but the arch support, White's boots have is heaven for my feet.
I tried to find dress shoes/boots with arch support but couldn't (I might have inquired on this thread).
I gave up and asked Kyle to make me some packers in dress leather.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, there is nothing quite as nice as getting out of your constrictive boots and into Vans, which are also my go tos for summer...
My secret shame is that I love Crocs for comfort... but of course never in public...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the old firefighter's motto; “100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress”.

Even then, there does at least now seem to be an increasing number of people who have recognised that strapping on six pounds of boot that haven't seen any design advancements since the 1940's isn't always the most comfortable way to earn a living.
They still are the most durable. But for something like light hiking, I wear a pair of Hi-Tecs trekking shoes, which fit my feet better than other brands and models. Fit is king.

By way of contrast, I also own Vasque Sundowners, which were a technological innovation in their day, and yes, bulletproof, but a pretty poor decision unless we are living in an actual zombie apocalypse.

The same gies for any number of tools. For example, I have a Chris Reeve Pacific, whch is an excellent survival knife, but I invariably carry a much shorter Winkler Crusher belt knife, which is a great all round knife, but I end up using my 3" White River Bckpacker, which frankly, does every necessary task at camp better, and carries lighter.

This is not to dissuade anyone from getting excellent workboots. But it is to say that some of the criteria that we use don't really map very well with the circumstances of our lives. The "utility" for most of us, and I include myself at the is exact moment, is simply part of the aesthetic appeal of the item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads