• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klank74

Reaction score
Uh oh. When @Woodtroll talks tough, y’all know its about to get real up in here.
Come on @klank74, I’m just lucky I can squeeze in a 38, I definitely bought them ‘cause they’re pretty. ?
Hey, don’t get me wrong... all my Whites are on the 38. I’m even one of the weirdos that appreciate the look of it. But there are a lot out there who think their ugly. But it sure is comfy for us duck feet folk.

DG123

Reaction score
I doubt that a bookmaker that’s been in business for over a hundred years, building work boots for specific uses, needs your marketing advice. They seem to sell all the boots they can manage to make, as evidenced by their persistent backlog.

instead of coming here explaining how you think things should work, you’d learn a lot more by investing some time reading through the years of information gathered here. You might also learn why folks buy these boots.

Or maybe you’d be better off going on Amazon, searching your size, and buying a pretty pair of shoes that someone has in stock in your size. After all, if you know your nominal size, the rest is cosmetic.:rolleyes:

Reading comprehension please . In a previous post to this thread I referred to White's backlog of orders and how the company is likely content to maintain the status quo.

DG123

Reaction score
Looks like some n00b troll decided to come try to crap on White’s without actually understanding what they do.
Maybe it is you who does not understand White's business ?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AECA01CC-80F1-4CC4-961F-D7AF07720B6A.gif

DG123

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, is that if you’re an odd width, the majority of manufacturers won’t keep stock on hand as it wouldn’t make sense.

Yes and no. Specifically, as I wrote in an earlier post , several decades ago the industry standard was to produce and retail an expansive selection of width sizing. The "odd widths" did sell reasonably well. The reality today is that there are more consumers who could truly use an "odd width" than one might imagine. "If you build it they will come" so to speak.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to stay out of things when opinions are running hot. Or maybe that’s when I should strap on a pair of smokejumpers (without QC issues) and run into the flames
Or may be situations like this call for a pair of Bounty Hunters!!!!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you an Employee of Nick's?
I am not on every social media platform but I have observed that Nick's employees continously find faults in White's boots.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this guy for real? This is the first time since getting on the White's train that I've seen someone in this thread who sends my troll-sense a-tingling.
I am thinking an employee of Nick's. Their desperate attempts to convert White's clientele. I know in my case it backfired haha

adrs1157

Reaction score
I understand that it's a common misconception among consumers that lasts are designed/created for fitting purposes.
For orthopedic footwear brands this is true, but otherwise lasts are created to achieve a particular look, such as toe shape, work well with a particular upper pattern and, or, style of shoe etc...
Again, shoe length size and width size are the primary contributors to how a shoe or boot will fit. 60 years ago the USA had several dozen factories and thousands of retailers stocking relatively few styles and colors. But the shoes and boots did come in widths ranging from AA to EEEE. So, there was a commitment to fitting that is now significantly less (or nonexistent) from producers and retailers. Today's consumers only know what the producers and retailers are selling now, not what was once formerly offered.
White's apparently does keep inventory stock of multiple widths for the company's best selling product , the Smokejumper. This is good and an ode to the way footwear producing/retailing was formerly done.
And if White's is willing to produce custom sizes/widths for other models, that's better than nothing, but the volume of consumers willing to wait several months for what may or may not be an excellent fit is probably low.
I think you should try on a pair of Whites before you try to pitch this nonsense.

Sure, a typical baguette shaped last with the one-size-fits-all profit-driven mentality of your big box retailer will 'fit' your foot. These retailers sell footwear with thin uppers and outsoles, providing little support. Your feet break them in.

White's lasts are simply not comfortable unless they are fitted properly. White's are incredibly heavy and unrelenting. All of the muscles in your foot need to work to move these boots. I've heard the phrase 'You don't break in a pair of White's boots. White's boots break in your foot' and I'm inclined to agree.

They have sculpted heel counters, so if the heel counters are too wide and they don't lock down your heels, your achilles will chafe and blister and your heel will hurt from repeated strikes against the insole.

The leather is built up in the arch area for support. If your boot is the wrong length or width, or if you have a lower arch and not accustomed to this level of support, the pressure on the arch can be incredibly painful.

Have a high instep? Get an instep adjustment or pick the appropriate last, or the tops of your feet are in for a world of hurt. Especially if you opt for a bellows tongue.

I could go on, but on the flip side, I see where you're coming from. Some makers opt for minimal or no arch support, thinner leather and flattish insoles. There is some level of comfort achievable with this design for a much wider audience, especially after breaking in the shoe. It just doesn't apply to White's.

Buying White's off the shelf without educating yourself is playing a dangerous game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads