• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom suits

vc2000

Reaction score
Any members have any advice on custom suits in Thailand or Hong Kong?  I have to watch the $ as I am finishing a house remodel and it cost more than expected...(what else is new?)  I'd love to find a tailor for suits like Jantzen for shirts.  I need to be fairly coservative in my suit choices as my work environment is inclined this way.  Off the rack doesn't work well for me with my body type.

Thanks

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Until Kai posts, the obvious choice is W.W. Chan (www.wwchan.com). Do searches for Chan or Hong Kong and you'll get a review of it in comparison with its major competitors. I haven't been, but if I was on that trip that's where I would investigate. I have had suits made in Bangkok at Perry's on Silom Road. Can say they were worth the money and of high quality. You're looking at about $800 - $1200, depending on the fabric choice. Thai tailors have also been discussed here, so do searches on that as well. But I suspect that given Hong Kong's greater cosmopolitan present and British past, a top Hong Kong tailor would be superior, if a little more expensive. Most importantly, just make it part of a great trip.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I had suits made in Hong Kong and in Bangkok. The tailor in Bangkok claimed to be the finest in the city, and was recommended by The Oriental, in which I stayed. Given the difference in quality between the HK suit and the BK suit, I suspect that the wealthiest Thais head to Hong Kong to get their suits.

My WW Chan suit is gorgeous. Fully hand stitched, super 130s, fits like a glove. All that for under a grand? Can't go wrong...

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's no secret that I am a big fan of WW Chan in Hong Kong. Their work is top quality, and prices are quite reasonable, considering what you get (lots of hand work, beautifully rolled lapels, great fit.) Cost is between 700 to 1300, depending on fabric choices. They work fast, and you can get a nice suit in five days.
I get compliments every time I wear my Chan suits.
I would recommend getting pants made with a higher "split" back to be worn with suspenders. The look is classic, and suspender-hung pants are more comfortable than belted pants.

MPS

Reaction score
If you're brave, and know what to ask for, then go to Sam's in the same building. Prices are about 60% of Chan's. They do an excellent job if you press them. If not, you might get pork. I have in the past been tempted to go to Chan's but have never actually had a suit made there. Still, I might try them the next time I'm in Hong Kong.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kai, you need to get a digital camera and take some pictures of that suit.
smile.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kai, you need to get a digital camera and take some pictures of that suit.
smile.gif
Ok. I will see about putting a picture of it in the member gallery when I get back. (Travelling all week on business.)

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure you take a picture of it while you're wearing it. That way we can really see how it looks on a human body, as opposed to a clothes hanger or a mannequin, which gives us no clue as to how it looks in real life. And closeups of the buttonholes would be cool. I know, I'm asking for a lot
tounge.gif

FCS

Reaction score
Be sure you take a picture of it while you're wearing it. That way we can really see how it looks on a human body, as opposed to a clothes hanger or a mannequin, which gives us no clue as to how it looks in real life.

Yes Kai, that would be awesome. Btw, when do you expect your Raphael's suit to finish, or perhaps you have it already?

DPDNYC

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried Mohan's Custom Tailor in NYC? They seem to take great pride in their tailoring for freakishly sized New York area athletes. And the pricing for a custom suit starts at about $600 from what I can tell. Thinking about giving them a try.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure you take a picture of it while you're wearing it. That way we can really see how it looks on a human body, as opposed to a clothes hanger or a mannequin, which gives us no clue as to how it looks in real life.
Yes Kai, that would be awesome. Btw, when do you expect your Raphael's suit to finish, or perhaps you have it already?
Actually, I am going in to Raphael's this evening for a fitting, as I am in NYC on business. I went by this morning, and he made some marks on the suit, and is making some adjustments on the jacket. I'm going back this evening to finish the fitting. The finished garment is still some weeks away I think.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DPDNYC

I have never tried Mohan's, but they are one of the Indian outfits that produce their clothes in Hong Kong. The Indians make lower cost clothing at lower quality.

I use Mr. Ned at 20th and Fifth for most of my suits. There is a tailor in Chinatown. LNC One of my customers swears by them. They are very reasonable price wise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads