• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Peacoat: Double Vent Acceptable?

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my canvas fitting from Luxire for a peacoat, and I got it in single vent, as per classical styling, but I think I really might prefer double vent (I only use double vent for my suits and jackets). Is that acceptable on a peacoat? I know historically it's been used here and there, but that it's generally only centre vent, but I feel like most people won't know or care. At the same time, it's more outerwear than a jacket, and center vents are more common for coats.

The length for mine is medium-long (just about covers my butt), fairly typical design.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's your coat, have it made any way you want it!

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards that direction! I don’t hate the center vent look per se either though.

Nemesis_4

Reaction score
I also favor a double vent on all suiting and odd jackets- though I feel that a double vent may look a little out of place on a peacoat- that being said, I've never actually seen it done.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is acceptable to you then that concludes the matter. Anyone else's opinion is quite irrelevant.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wearing a rain jacket today that is of similar length to my suit and sport coat jackets. It happens to have side vents and not only has no one ever noticed, I rarely notice. It doesnt look out of place at all. For a longer coat, I think it would look a little weird, but you should have no issues with a peacoat.

member2000r

Reaction score
I don't feel double vent peacoat looking strange

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bal_eZcDW1f/?taken-by=thefinerycompany

22639071_616643441793238_8476289229066862592_n.jpg

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you'd be all for trad designs!

Well that settles it!

If I had felt super strongly about double vent I would've gone for it, but because I think either way would've been fine, I didn't want to make a choice that would've been too weird/out of place (after all a huge majority of peacoats are center vent, so I'm not sure if there's good reason to make it stay that way), but looks like there's nothing to worry too much about it. Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, when I have my jackets made I usually have all the trad details included, except that I always get side vents rather than a center vent. It's just a personal preference. I think side vents work better for me. So I do like trad but I don't think anyone should be afraid to play around with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads